Sellers Cancelling items

cubacaper
Community Member

This is the second time I had an item cancelled by the seller.  Isnt it a gamble when they place an item up for bid that they may not get what they want?

I do not think they should be permitted to do this.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sellers Cancelling items

cottage_pudding
Community Member

Did you bid on it?  It's my understanding that once there is a bid, they can't cancel the listing.  What actually happened?  If they cancelled the listing before there were bids, I think that's allowed. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sellers Cancelling items

Did you bid? If not, you have nothing to complain about. Even with bids a seller can still cancel. New system, though. They get charges a FVF even without a sale.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Sellers Cancelling items

The OP buys cheapo trinkets from China, Sellers are probably sold out of the items.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Sellers Cancelling items

Yeah, I saw that. Eleven widgets bought, average about $3.30 a piece. I would be upset too, missing out on the deal of the century.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Sellers Cancelling items

:^O

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sellers Cancelling items

Here's a copy of your content:

I also had a seller cancel listings on me. The seller had 3 items listed and i saved all in a list and bid on 2 of them. I was the only bidder on two hockey hobby boxes.

Then I get 2 e-mails that the seller has cancelled the listings. The seller posted the reasons as " no longer available" and "error in the listing" Then I checked the 3rd item, the reason was "item broken or missing"

So 100% of the seller's listings cancelled all at once. I know stuff happens but the seller could have at least contacted me, if that is at  all possible.

Is there any accepted ediquette for this on ebay?

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sellers Cancelling items

I'd call it a "policy" rather than "etiquette".

As mentioned above, a seller can cancel any listing if there are no bids. This allows for situations where the dog really did eat the item.
And for nervous sellers having a panic attack, because they do not understand that most bids arrive in the last few minutes of the auction.

If there are bids, the seller must cancel all those bids before cancelling the auction. If he does not, the item sells to the current high bidder. Some sellers will do this at the request of the high bidder and buyers love this, since the selling price could well go much higher if the auction were allowed to continue.

And as mentioned, eBay now charges sellers a fee for cancelled auctions. So there is a penalty for cancellation.

BTW, if there is an error in the listing, the seller can revise it only if there are no bids. If there are bids, the seller must cancel them, cancel the auction, pay the fee and then revise and relist.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply