The last invoice sent to my buyer by eBay included instructions on how to pay by check. Why?

ollsell
Community Member

Although I only accept PayPal or cash on pickup, the latest invoice sent to a buyer included the following, in bold no less:

If you send your payment (e.g. cheque) by post, add a copy of this e-mail and send everything to the following address. Please note that eBay does not permit sellers to accept cash payments sent by post.

Does anyone know why?

Charles Lawrence
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: The last invoice sent to my buyer by eBay included instructions on how to pay by check. Why?

Why the buyer located overseas?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: The last invoice sent to my buyer by eBay included instructions on how to pay by check. Why?

No.  I was selling from Canada to the USA.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

No paper trail on cash. Seller could keep the money and claim it was never sent.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It's nothing personal. EBay is just acting officiously to protect the buyer from the big bad seller.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Maybe I can't see where you found this text, but I looked at an invoice I just sent to a U.S. buyer, and I don't see it anywhere. 

However I've created "customized" invoices with my store logo, etc., so perhaps those are different than the plain vanilla invoices. 

In any case, it never crossed my mind that eBay might be mentioning cheques to buyers in invoices they receive, and this seems really bizarre considering how much stake eBay has in Paypal and how much they've been promoting its use.  I assume payment by cheque would also obviously mean no Paypal coverage? 

Has anyone received a cheque from a buyer in payment in the last 2 or 3 years?  I never have.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Has anyone received a cheque from a buyer in payment in the last 2 or 3 years?  I never have.

Never have either.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have, quite regularly; and many large ones.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If someone asks me, I will gladly accept it. But nobody ever asked me, so...

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I 'm not concerned by "no cash". That's good. I do not want to offer to accept cheques.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I suspect that this is not having to everyone, or there would be more of an outcry.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I don't understand this.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You do not understand why I accept personal cheques? 

I always welcome them, always. Anything within reason to make a buyer happy, to complete a sale.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I meant that I don't understand the relevance to my question. I should have been clearer.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply