Why is ebay keeping part of shipping costs?

416tipper
Community Member

The actual shipping costs can change up or down when I print the label from ebay/paypal. If the amount is less ebay is not crediting me the extra amount. Since the buyer paid this shouldn't it be going to me? As I see it ebay is skimming money paid to me. I tried to talk to customer service which was a WASTE of time. The girl who did not appear to understand what I was talking about finally said someone from accounts would get back to and no one did. At this point I won't sell on ebay any more. Anyone have any advise?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If you are printing off with paypal you will get a discount of up to 25% on the shipping fee.  Ebay will take their final value fees from the total paid by the buyer, but what's left minus the shipping cost goes into your coffers.  Have you seen this link about final value fees?

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fvf.html

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I know that they say it is 11% but I find the fees vary especially when I ship from Canada to Canada (higher) than when I send to the US - they are not consistent.  Due to this FVF charge, I am now charging a $2.50 handling charge to cover my expenses including boxes and packing supplies.  Most buyers don't even know that sellers are now being charged this.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply