overseas buyer paid without waiting for invoice

i sold a set of limoge plates. i was at a militaria show so didnt invoice immed. but accepted the offer. anyway, the person paid and they are in asai. i stated xp shipping to the us. am i wrong to ask for more shipping.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: overseas buyer paid without waiting for invoice

Not following. That the sale fot the seven plates? Worldwide shipping is listed. I picked Malaysia and shipping showed as $30.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

oops, $35. You can ship those for $35?
Photobucket
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Are you asking whether you can show a different (i.e. higher) shipping price on your invoice than stated in your listing?  

The answer is - generally no -- unless you stated in your listing that the flat shipping rate for overseas is an estimate.  The answer is definitely no if you want to maintain good customer relations and you have stated a specific flat rate international shipping in your listing.  It looks as if you're using flat rate in your listings; with calculated shipping you're pretty much stuck with what the system gives your buyer, unless of course you're refunding them money.  

Like many sellers who ship internationally, I use flat rate based on the furthest place I can reasonably expect to ship to -- usually for me that is Australia, since I don't ship to Asia anyway.  Anyone else usually gets a refund (less the cost of FVFs on the refunded portion).  Since you can't specify shipping amounts by individual country when using flat rate, you have to choose a figure and stick to it if you want happy customers (and want to avoid eBay policy issues).  Refunding is a much better strategy than correcting the shipping upward on an invoice after the fact, which will look like "padding" to the customer and could get you into hot water.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

i made a mistake on the listing and edned up refunding her money.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Well, that's probably the best thing you could have done.  Especially for a set of Limoges plates going overseas, where you already run the risk of damage.  

I can't count the number of times I've either refunded or upgraded my buyers' shipping as a courtesy.  Some of them came back again to buy, I like to think partly for that reason.  Refunds are nice surprises, extra unexpected charges aren't.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply