why do most a the sellers on ebay use Canada post when they are so lax in their shipping standards ?

I am sure that most buyers would rather pay a bit more shipping if the would get there purchased items in a timely fashion  I have been an ebay buyer for several years and have had nothing but problems with items shipped through Canada post from extremely late deliveries to out right stolen items

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: why do most a the sellers on ebay use Canada post when they are so lax in their shipping standar

I've had very few problems with Canada Post.  The choices here are CP or couriers and I think that in many cases, couriers are a lot more expensive.

Plus, if a seller from another country used a courier rather than the mail service,you would be paying a brokerage fee, taxes and duty when you purchased items over $20.

If you prefer that a seller use a courier you can ask them if they are willing to do so and get a quote from them.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: why do most a the sellers on ebay use Canada post when they are so lax in their shipping standar

The stolen items would concern me more than late deliveries. All postal systems are optimistic about their delivery times, especially if you don't live in a very urban area.

Are these being stolen from a community supermailbox? These are often targeted by theives.

Are they being stolen from your letterbox or porch?

Have you reported the stolen items to your postmaster (at the post office not the postal outlet in the local drugstore)?

With the exception on mental problems, it is very rare for actual theft to occur from the mail. For one thing, why would a sane postal worker, earning a substantial salary with excellent benefits and pension, bother with our piddly parcels of DVDs, Chinese costume jewellry, teacups or used books?

If the thefts are from your porch or mailbox, it is more likely to be someone who is taking advantage of an opportunity. Such thefts should be reported not only to the postmaster but also to the police. Get a police report number, by the way, that way there will be a record that may not help with your case, but may start to show a pattern.

Put a notice on your mailbox that parcels should never be left. The postie will leave a notice instead and you can pickup at the postal outlet. Bring ID.

In my experience fastest delivery is from Europe, about 10 to 15 days.

From North America about 15 to 20 days.

From Asia about 30 days.

If your item takes longer than that, contact the seller and ask for the shipping date and service used. Also ask for a tracking number but you don't really want or need that.

If the item hasn't shown up after 30 days (Europe or North America) or 40 days (Asia) open an Item Not Received dispute.

Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement from an Asian seller. That's a scam.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Canada Post is much cheaper than UPS, etc.

I looked into it, but couldn't justify the cost relative to a few extra days delay of receipt.

I have wondered if the higher volume sellers such as Amazon get cost reductions or have contracts that permit lower rates.

I purchase a lot of items from Amazon and rarely pay for shipping.

I have noticed my delivery times have slowed substantially the past couple of years as I am now receiving the majority of my purchases via Canada Post and little from UPS.

3 years ago, most items I received via UPS.

Regarding theft, I did purchase 2 CDN silver dollars from a member, only to receive the envelope from Canada Post with a small tear in the left bottom corner, the inside envelope also torn slightly, and one silver dollar removed.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I think that many of the couriers do have a fairly good bulk discount but I doubt that their prices would compare if a seller normally uses light or small packet.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I'm the opposite.

I find "faster" shipping is disproportionally expensive.

And couriers then also tack on the "import fees". Between the import fee and their collection-fee for the import fee, the price goes up even more.

USPS/Canada Post is much better value for the price.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Well regrettably, most ebay canada customers do not feel that way, although I too have never really had a problem with Canada Post shipping time can drag up too 14 days from here to the east coast.  Most shoppers do want it faster, they also don't want to pay anything for shipping.....

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

"Most shoppers do want it faster, they also don't want to pay anything for shipping....."

This.

You get what you pay for.

And I really don't understand the rush. Unless something is needed immediately for a specific purpose, why all the concern about a package taking 10-14 days?

(If it makes any difference - this a buyer-point-of-view)

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Regarding theft, I did purchase 2 CDN silver dollars from a member, only to receive the envelope from Canada Post with a small tear in the left bottom corner, the inside envelope also torn slightly, and one silver dollar removed.

The seller used a tearable paper envelope and did not tape down the items sandwiched inside card stiffeners?

That's a textbook example of how poor packaging causes losses.

I would have thought that the package got caught in the machinery and the dollar fell to the floor of the terminus.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

as far as I can tell the items that were stolen were stolen while they were in Canada post possession . someone at Canada post went as far as to sign my name for one item then when I went to local office demanding an investigation they found my item after several hours  but would not say how or who signed my name .

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

"they found my item after several hours  "

That is good! 

The parcel was obviously not stolen by anyone, it was misplaced.  Someone signed the wrong card for a different parcel.  It happens.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It was an excellent example of horrendous packaging, especially given the weight of the silver dollars.
The inside envelope was actually a small plastic 'baggie'.
Both dollars had their own 'baggie'.
Their 4 sides were scotch taped, allowing for both cons to flop around a 1/2 inch in any direction.

... And yes, the envelope may have been caught in the machinery and the dollar fell to the floor.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Because we have no other choice. Other shipping companies cost a fortune. Buyers already think Canada Post is expensive, we would have no sales using anyone else.
I also won't use other companies because my husband works for one & I know how they treat parcels
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I agree there really is no viable alternative in Canada. When I have been forced to use couriers due to various reasons, my experiences have not been very good. Adequate at best. There are many many problems.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply