AppleExpress, the delivery service from hell again?

I've read pretty much only bad reviews of AppleExpress delivery services here, in the Toronto or Vancouver Area.  And now they have entered the Montreal area too it seems, with the same level of quality!

I purchased an item through GSP, and the last leg of the shipping is done by AppleExpress, and they succeeded in missing the cue accordingly today...
"Delivery Exception - Apartment - No Answer"

The thing is that I used my workplace address to specifically make sure this kind of situation would not happen!  I really have no idea how they messed it up in the afternoon, as any bystanders can enter our premisses freely...

I really don't like using the GSP, but it was a one of a kind object (art piece) that I could not buy elsewhere...
Really no happy that eBay and the GSP still use unsatisfactory subcontracting agents like AppleExpress.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Apple Express service is very dependent on the quality of their local level people.

It's a low end, final mile delivery company. It's skimping in some areas (like training, wages).

My brother has had no problems with them in Cambridge Ontario (and that requires the driver to read the extra detail that the FBA package needs to be left at the back door).

-|-

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

At least they seem to offer you the opportunity to message them about your shipment.  Whether they actually read the message or act on it is another matter entirely, of course.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

This is why smart companies don't accept the lowest bid.

And smart companies  don't hire the guy who accepts the lowest wage and the barely legal working conditions.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Lucky man.  I envy him!

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Their reply mostly stated again what the tracking showed, without addressing the situation.  But the last part was this: Your package is heading back to our warehouse where it will be scanned and sent out for redelivery.

Problem is, if the next delivery goes the same way, and there's no accountability, I'm not better in the end...

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Have you looked into Canada Post's new FlexDelivery service.

As I understand it, it is free and will accept packages from couriers.

You could also tape a BIG notice to your front door telling Apple that you are home and that he should ring the doorbell/use the knocker/ sing the chorus of My Way to get your attention.

In both languages.

And send a photograph of the sign to the Apple management.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

As I stated in my original post, this purchase was done with the GSP.  Hence, I have no choice over the final delivery service.

And I used my workplace address, which is a public access business.  This building doesn't even share its postal code with any other building in my area!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

So, looks like tracking numbers are considered out of bounds now?  I've seen them posted before...

I guess eBay prefers to moderate boards than to remedy shipping/delivery problems!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

FlexDelivery from Canada Post results in a PO Box which GSP will not deliver to. All of my GSP deliveries over the years used Canada Post here in Winnipeg EXCEPT for the last one. Pitney Bowes decided to hand the package off to Intelcomm Express after it cleared Canada Customs in Toronto. For 9 days there was no tracking. It was a hard to find item and all I got from eBay was the company line about wait till the last delivery date and if the item does not show up file a INR and get a refund. 

That does not replace what would have amounted to a month of lost time plus the loss of a hard-to-find item. eBay simply does not seem to understand that and instead cheapens the service by using cheap last mile carriers.

After 9 days and no tracking the item showed up at my front door. Intelcom Express does not have a stellar record of providing tracking nor delivering the item to the right location. Forget using the signature on the delivery for a dispute. Drivers simply write NA on the form.

It is a shame we have to pay premium shipping plus what amounts to Import Fees (most of the time its just  Brokerage Fee w/o any taxes) and have to rely on what may be the cheapest carrier selected by Pitney Bowes.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@theoldestfart wrote:

FlexDelivery from Canada Post results in a PO Box which GSP will not deliver to. 

Depends on where you're getting your information.

This page on the .com site that's directed to buyers agrees with you (See the "tip" box):

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/international-pu...

This page on the .com site that's directed to sellers lists a handful of countries served by the GSP where delivery to PO boxes is acceptable, Canada being one of them (Expand the "Getting Started with the Global Shipping Program" section):

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/global-shipping-program?id...

@theoldestfart wrote:

It is a shame we have to pay premium shipping plus what amounts to Import Fees (most of the time its just  Brokerage Fee w/o any taxes) and have to rely on what may be the cheapest carrier selected by Pitney Bowes.

You've lost me a little here.  The "import charges" on an item forwarded by the GSP to Manitoba would be the same GST charged by a Canadian retailer registered to collect GST plus brokerage charges of around US$5.00.  If it were sent by mail and intercepted by CBSA, you'd probably be paying RST as well as GST plus a Canada Post processing charge of C$9.95.  If it were sent by UPS Standard or FedEx Ground, your brokerage charges would be a lot more than that.  If the item were below the tax-free limit, there wouldn't be much in the way of brokerage charges and they'd likely just be added to the shipping charge.

As far as paying "premium shipping" goes, in the days before the GSP if you found a "must have" item from a seller in the States who refused to ship to Canada, your choices would be to either move on, have the item sent to a friend or relative in the States who would either forward it for you or have it waiting for you on your next visit, or elist the assistance of a third party forwarding service.  All of these options cost money.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Good news everyone!

A second delivery attempt was made today, and it was successful.  Albeit the delivery guy wasn't at the right street corner and hung up after only 3 rings, I was able to call him back right away and talk him to a more precise location.  He clearly didn't read the street numbers, and was dependant on a mapping app on his cell phone that wasn't really good...  That was a close call for another missed delivery!

Weirdest part is that the package showed my workplace general phone number [never used on eBay] instead of my personal one (on file at eBay).  But the driver had the right phone number, wherever he got it...

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

package showed my workplace general phone number [never used on eBay] instead of my personal one (on file at eBay).

Maybe the phone number was linked to the address and thus to the business? 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Could be, but the name of the business wasn't there (I don't use it when it's a personal item)...  Anyway, it worked, so I won't bother anymore about this!

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

mibar-4959
Community Member
Gd pm the better business bureau can and will help you im making a complaint on them monday
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Apple express does not do back ground check on there drivers most are thugs off the street that steal
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

You have responded to a thread from 2021 and these older threads often are no longer relevant and/or the info is outdated.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@ kh-phdan

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021

Message 18 of 18
latest reply