Can't really track global shipping program - Frustrated

I do not like the global shipping program.  It's ability to track items is seriously flawed.  I live in a rural area and do not get ANY deliveries other than post .  Here is my experience:

I bought an item in the US shipped through the ebay shipping program.  I get an ebay tracking number, and a USPS tracking number.  The ebay tracking number doesn't tell me much about when to expect it.  The USPS number says the item is being sent expedited, and will arrive in two days.  When I update this number, in two days, the status shows it is being delivered.  It was only delivered to the centre in Erlander, Ky.  It sits there for several days.  I have no idea who has it, or what is happening.  If I check the other link (USPS) the only information that it was delivered, which doesn't tell me much or where or how it is being delivered.

The global shipping number can't be tracked outside of ebay, and the domestic shipping number is only for USPS, and shows it as delivered.

I have to logon with different devices, as different devices show different details.  None shows what carrier the item is being transported with, or when the actual realistic delivery date is.  A week wide guess really doesn't cut it.  I don't know if it is being shipped by mail, courier, or by an old guy who is now looking for my house on foot.

Finally, if I go in with one device, I get a link to the fact that this is supposedly being shipped by CanPar.  However, when I click on the hyperlink, I get taken to Canpar and told that that item can not be found.  This has been the case for several days.  I also got an email notice that Pitney Bowes (Ebay shipping) has prepared a delivery label for my through Canada Post.  But no parcel has arrived at Canada Post with that delivery label on it.

I want the ability to know WHO is shipping my parcel, and what the tracking number is ON THEIR SYSTEM.  Why does Ebay obfuscate this information?  And why does the information depend on what device  you are using to retrieve it.  Right now if I go to the Ebay site on my Win8 computer running Chrome, I do NOT get anyway to access the Canpar tracking number (even if it is apparently not correct).  The domestic shipping information that I get on this computeris a week old, and still shows that the package was delivered by USPS!  However, if I use the Ebay APP on a IPad, I get the Canpar information.  If I use the ebay App on a smartphone, I cannot access ANY domestic shipping information.

I need to know who has it because if it is not being sent by CanPost, the courier will not be able to deliver it due to my rural location, and will also have no way to contact me as I do not have a listed phone number.  This is simply dumb.

EBAY!  WHO HAS MY PARCEL AND WHY WON"T YOU LET ME KNOW THIS AND TRACK IT PROPERLY!

Message 1 of 143
latest reply
142 REPLIES 142

You will not pay any duty or sales tax on your doorstep.

You have already paid PB/GSP import fees which in addition to those you quote include applicable duty and sales taxes.

This is actually also part of the Seller Protection.

Every now and then we see a seller complaining about an overseas buyer who claims Not Received when the item is sitting in Customs.

The scam here is the buyer gets his refund for non-delivery, then goes to the post office, pays only the duty and gets the item at 5-10% of the shipped cost.

GSP means the buyer paid a fee that covers those duty and sales tax costs before the seller even shipped to Erlanger.

You do know that technically Canadians pay duty (and sales tax) on any import over $20CDN (~$16USD) right?

CBSA and Canada Post tend to ignore this, on the sensible grounds that it costs the taxpayer more for them to assess than they could collect.

This doesn't apply to couriers, including PB/GSP.*

A few minutes ago, I paid $16.50Cdn to UPS for a package containing a $25 USD(plus postage) eyeliner I ordered from the States. Possibly the most expensive makeup I have ever purchased. About $10 of that was the UPS fee, possibly all of it.

If the seller had used USPS, there would have been no doorstep charge (probably).

*And yes, GSP does sub-contract to Canada Post.

Message 141 of 143
latest reply

@paktaolo wrote:

It is like users pay for the USPS priority mail express international service, but they are only receiving USPS first-class mail international service.

The tracking on your shipment only shows the last place your item was scanned, or where a scan was transmitted to Pitney Bowes' database.  It may have moved on since then but you haven't seen any updates.  Have you checked the website mentioned earlier to see if the information is any different from what you've received from eBay?

As far as the First Class International versus Priority Express International, keep in mind that First Class International is a glorified letter mail service.  (International letters can be quite large.  Canada Post's Small Packet service is, in fact, an extension of international letter mail.) 

Something else to consider is that if sellers using the GSP don't give the GSP "bot" enough information on an item's packaged size and weight, the "bot" has to guess, or base Pitney Bowes' share of the shipping charge on a category average.  This is great if the item you're purchasing is bulky and heavy, not so great if its small and lightweight.

Message 142 of 143
latest reply

Hello! This thread is long in the tooth. I will close it, and if anyone would like to continue the discussion, you are welcome to open a fresh thread, so that we can ensure that new visitors are getting recent information. Thank you!

Message 143 of 143
latest reply