Considering first GSP purchase. What are chances Canada Post will deliver instead of Intelcom?

i've never pruchased anything on Ebay using GSP before because it's normally far more expensive than having items shipped directly by the seller.  I am finally considering a GSP purchase because the overall price is reasonable.

However, i've been informed that Canada Post usuallly does not deliver GSP packages anymore, that a company, Intelcom now does most of it now.  I looked up Intelcom and their track record is less than impressive.  Poor choice on Ebay's part, imo...i thought Ebay prioritized good buyer experiences.   

At any rate, i live in North York, Ont.  What are the chances Canada Post will deliver my package and not Intelcom?  Anyone know?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Considering first GSP purchase. What are chances Canada Post will deliver instead of Intelcom?

marnotom!
Community Member

Hard to say exactly as we really only see posts about Intelcom when something's gone wrong, but my sense is that as you're in the 416, there's a really good chance the item would be handled by Intelcom.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

FWIW - Intelcom does seem to get a lot of hate here, and I agree Pitney Bowes should not renew their contract, but I have received several packages from the company (other venues) with not problems.

So there is likely a 'man bites dog' situation going on here.

Or the driver on my route is competent.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

thanks, but my real concern is the same as with any courier.  If i miss the delivery ie not at home, then i will have to go to their depot to pick up my package.  As i can no longer drive it would mean a 1 hour + bus ride in each direction to Intelcom's closest depot.  Not worth the hassle.

I'll wait for another good deal to come along some day on this item.   I see there's one on Bonanza, i'll look into that.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@fergua3   Consider using the Flex Delivery service of Canada Post.

It's like having a free post office box.

I understand that when it is used, GSP directs shipments to Canada Post,who can certainly deliver them, rather than a private courier which might not be able or willing to  deliver.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.p...

But you could also contact the seller, explain (without complaining) your dilemma and ask if the seller is willing to ship outside of the GSP.

Tell them that First Class Package International (Canada) is tracked, which is the main reason American sellers use GSP.

And because of the higher duty free  allowance under the newest NAFTA you are unlikely to be paying anything to the letter carrier.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

thank you for the great advice, but i just bought the item on Bonanza.  I contacted the seller who was quite willing to  ship to Canada (he used to live here) and the deal was struck.  So all's well that ends well, i guess.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

thank you for the great advice, but i just bought the item on Bonanza.  I contacted the seller who was quite willing to  ship to Canada (he used to live here) and the deal was struck.  So all's well that ends well, i guess.

From past experience dealing with Intelcom, they've always dropped, photo'd and gone. If you interrupt the process they won't even attempt a signature. They will request you put it back down to photo. There may be the occasional driver that will not feel comfortable dropping and something will need to be done to re-deliver but that happens on what seems to be a few and far between basis. Because of their quotas for deliveries they just dont have time for a physical signature.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 7
latest reply