Does Ebay International Shipping use Canada Post to deliver items shipped from US?

I live in the GTA if that makes a difference, which it might....

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Does Ebay International Shipping use Canada Post to deliver items shipped from US?

marnotom!
Community Member

The eIS terms and conditions for buyers state that buyers aren't to use PO boxes for delivery addresses, which to me is a clue that items might be handled by carriers other than the post office once in the destination country.  So far I haven't found any pages that suggest an exception for Canada the way the GSP did, so I'd say that while there's a chance an eIS item could be handled by Canada Post once in Canada, I don't think it's a given.

Message 2 of 123
latest reply

I live in GTA also and I don't think there's any firm 100% of the time answer on this one but I have received most of my items from the US (eBay International) lately by Canada Post. Back with Global Shipping many came through Intel Express but even then sometimes an item was delivered by Canada Post.

Just like I've bought books from Indigo and sometimes they arrive with Canada Post and sometimes via a courier. I think it might depend on both what method the seller used (i.e Priority Mail from the US or Lettermail) and also what location it is sent from. Depending on the money they have for the final miles of delivery.

I would have thought it should be the same as when we send something by Canada Post and USPS takes over once it crosses the border, I would think it should be the same so would depend what method the seller uses/chose first. But then again what seems logical is not always the case.

Message 3 of 123
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I would have thought it should be the same as when we send something by Canada Post and USPS takes over once it crosses the border, I would think it should be the same so would depend what method the seller uses/chose first. But then again what seems logical is not always the case.

In the case of an item shipped with Canada Post and USPS, there's no "middleman" to handle the item between the two postal services.  An item shipped with the GSP or eIS has a definite "stop" or intermediary destination, so I don't think the seller's choice of carrier has any bearing on who handles the item after the forwarding hub.

I was initially under the impression that eBay International Shipping was a bit like eBay International Standard in that a partnership between the courier system and a mail system was used, but it's looking as though that's not the case.  Do you have any idea who's handling items between the Illinois hub and the Canadian drop-off point, @msau4301?

Message 4 of 123
latest reply

Sorry marnotom, no clue! I didn't realize these are two separate things, I'm not sure if mine was International Standard or International Shipping now that it's been pointed out. I thought it was one and the same (a replacement for Global Shipping Program), I tried to look back on my orders as I had a few before Christmas and couldn't see how listing itself was worded, it let's me view my orders but doesn't the original listing itself any more to show which method was listed. I know import was charged and I think it was International Shipping but can't say for sure if there are two so closely named!?

Message 5 of 123
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Sorry marnotom, no clue! I didn't realize these are two separate things. . . . I know import was charged and I think it was International Shipping but can't say for sure if there are two so closely named!?

If you paid those import charges at checkout, it wouldn't have been eBay International Standard as that never hits you with import charges at the time of purchase.  eBay International Shipping shouldn't be charging at checkout, either, according to the hype on it, but I've seen listings where it's stated that it will charge those at checkout.

Are you able to look up any of these listings by the listing number?  If not, do you have a tracking number you can use on a "universal" tracking site?  I like Parcelspp a lot because it goes into quite a bit of detail about the scan information and the carriers used.

So much for my being a reformed tracking geek.

Message 6 of 123
latest reply

Your tracking site link is handy, I'll have to remember that one!

I looked at my last three purchases, one was from February, one December and one November. The tracking shows they were all Global Shipping with Pitney Bowes. Strange because I could have sworn they were eBay International in the listing (but I can't say for certain!) I didn't think I'd seen Global Shipping listings for some time now but I could be wrong. Maybe there's still a few kicking around and I happened upon them. Like I mentioned earlier it doesn't allow me to see the original listing itself anymore just the order details so I'm going on my (not always reliable) memory. Is it possible the newer eBay International Standard is still Global Shipping using a different name in listings for some reason? Maybe until the entire change over is complete. Do packages still go to Enlarger Kentucky 1st?

I don't buy here as frequently as I once did but I will definitely pay more attention next time.

Message 7 of 123
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I looked at my last three purchases, one was from February, one December and one November. The tracking shows they were all Global Shipping with Pitney Bowes. Strange because I could have sworn they were eBay International in the listing (but I can't say for certain!) I didn't think I'd seen Global Shipping listings for some time now but I could be wrong. Maybe there's still a few kicking around and I happened upon them. Like I mentioned earlier it doesn't allow me to see the original listing itself anymore just the order details so I'm going on my (not always reliable) memory. Is it possible the newer eBay International Standard is still Global Shipping using a different name in listings for some reason? Maybe until the entire change over is complete. Do packages still go to Enlarger Kentucky 1st?

"Enlarger," Kentucky?  Your auto-correct/spellcheck needs a talkin' to.  😂

eBay International Standard is the international forwarding service that was introduced after the Global Shipping Program.  eBay International Shipping was the third one, and it came relatively quick on the heels after International Standard.

eBay International Standard is quite different than the Global Shipping Program.  Import charges are (or may be) charged on delivery and items are transported by a mail/courier hybrid system.  There are a few different hubs to which items are sent by sellers, and I believe one of them is the Erlanger center.  Items must be sent to the hub through USPS only.  It doesn't have nearly the perks or "protections" for sellers as the GSP or eBay International Shipping.  A comparison chart can be found on this page:

https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/pics/sc/pdf/ebay-international-shipping-features-comparison-ta...

Message 8 of 123
latest reply

so i'm beyond confused now.  Does Ebay International SHIPPING use courier or postal system for final delivery in Canada?

Message 9 of 123
latest reply

I understand your confusion! I don't think anyone knows the answer for sure. I just googled "Does Ebay International Shipping use Canada Post" and amongst other things there was an article from Pitney Bowes (that eBay used with Global Shipping so could likely do so again) and found a recent article put out by Pitney Bowes in February 2023 (sorry I don't know how to copy the link) but this makes it look like there is a very good chance Canada Post COULD be used if they have a new partnership with Canada Post...but maybe not always. (marnotom, your take on this??)

Pitney Bowes Partners With Canada Post to Provide Integrated Online Shipping Solution for eBay Canada

STAMFORD, Conn., Feb. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Pitney Bowes Inc. (NYSE: PBI) and Canada Post have partnered to provide a new online shipping solution for eBay Canada and PayPal customers. This new service enables Canadian eBay users who list items on eBay.ca to create, purchase and print Canada Post shipping labels with postage right from their computers. Packages can then be mailed at any Canadian post office or street letterbox.

Pitney Bowes is the technology provider of the new service, and introduced the world's first completely browser-based Internet postage application in 2004 in an alliance with eBay in the United States.

"We've heard from our community of eBay users that economical, fast and reliable shipping services are essential in continuing to maximize their profitability on eBay," said Elmer Sotto, head of marketplace development for eBay Canada. "This new online shipping tool not only provides savings on the cost of shipping but also the ability to manage online sales and shipping needs easily and conveniently from one place."

Customers who use the online shipping solution will receive savings of up to eight percent on domestic rates and savings of up to nine percent on U.S. and international rates on most Canada Post services. There are no fees to use the new service and the cost of postage can be paid through a PayPal(R) account.

"Our new partnership with eBay Canada and Canada Post highlights Pitney Bowes' continued success in providing innovative mailstream solutions on a global scale," said Mike Monahan, President of Global Mailing Solutions & Services for Pitney Bowes. "By forming strategic alliances with growth category leaders like eBay and international posts like Canada Post, we are helping to facilitate the flow of the mailstream across borders while serving a broad spectrum of customers including consumers and small businesses."

The new online shipping tool will automatically include the required basic customs forms as part of the label printing process. Once the label is printed, both the buyer and seller can track the delivery status of the package by using traceable shipping services online via www.ebay.ca or a PayPal(R) account.

For more information or to access the new online shipping page on eBay.ca, visit www.ebay.ca/shipping.

Message 10 of 123
latest reply

well that's somewhat encouraging.  I have also read what i would call rumours that there may be additional charges upon delivery ie surprise charges.  I can't believe that would be the case, it would be suicide for ebay to adopt a system like that.

One US Ebay seller's pre answered questions said that any import charges/fees will appear at checkout.  Which is fine because then at least you can bail if you don't like those charges.  I'm contemplating a small purchase ($9 plus $15.80 shipping) to test the waters.   It seems like virtually every seller is using this new EIS scheme.  So, if i don't like it, my days of buying from the US on Ebay will be done for sure.....as opposed to nearly done when the GSP was around.

Message 11 of 123
latest reply

https://pages.ebay.com/internationalshippingprogram/buyer/terms/

You are also responsible for customs fees, taxes and duties on items shipped internationally in accordance with local laws and regulations. Whether these fees are due at the time of the purchase or on delivery of the item is determined by the shipping method you choose and local laws and regulations.

I sense that Canada Post may not be delivering on the final legs into Canada.

Power of Attorney. You grant to eBay’s third party service providers, including DHL and Asendia as well as other international carrier services which eBay may contract with, a “Power of Attorney” indicating that you, as the Importer of Record are authorizing them respectively and/or their service providers to act as your agent(s).

It's quite a read for the detailled of mind...

Message 12 of 123
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

https://pages.ebay.com/internationalshippingprogram/buyer/terms/

You are also responsible for customs fees, taxes and duties on items shipped internationally in accordance with local laws and regulations. Whether these fees are due at the time of the purchase or on delivery of the item is determined by the shipping method you choose and local laws and regulations.

I sense that Canada Post may not be delivering on the final legs into Canada.

Power of Attorney. You grant to eBay’s third party service providers, including DHL and Asendia as well as other international carrier services which eBay may contract with, a “Power of Attorney” indicating that you, as the Importer of Record are authorizing them respectively and/or their service providers to act as your agent(s).

It's quite a read for the detailled of mind...

@fergua3 

@brettjet38 

@msau4301 

devon@ebay 

It might be nice (considerate) when/if there is secondary party involved that that too would be included before buyers hit the good old buy button....That way no last last last minute surprises!! If you thought we saw posts with GSP, I can only imagine once a few more buyers test these waters!!!

-Lotz

Message 13 of 123
latest reply

Wow, that's some read, sadly above my pay grade though.  I suddenly want to re-watch that documentary Terms and Conditions May Apply! While I know we should always keep ourselves aware of what is going on when I see lengthy contracts or "Updates to User Agreement" and such my eyes glaze over.  

I come to this fine board here to try and get the Coles Notes version of anything new/big going on!

Message 14 of 123
latest reply

Ebay is such a big proponent of offering a 'great buying experience' it's a wonder they don't make great effort to inform buyers how their items will be shipped to them.  Afterall that is the key component of purchasing online.  Instead Ebay shrouds it in mystery, almost as if they have something to hide...

Message 15 of 123
latest reply

@msau4301 

Are you sure that is from 2023?   That appears to be an old article talking about Canadian sellers being able to print CP labels online which isn't anything new. I think that it is referring to us being able to print them through Paypal as we used to do. We could go through eBay which would take us to PP to print the label.  They do mention Paypal as an 'eBay company' so the article is definitely a few years old.  They also mentioning paying for labels through PP which obviously can't be done on .ca anymore.

Message 16 of 123
latest reply

The terms and conditions are very similar to what they were for EISD and the  GSP so I don't think those are a big deal. 

I do realize that if Canada Post was the carrier that buyers here would probably worry less about having to pay duty on pickup although that still wouldn't be a guarantee of no import fees.   I think that for many of us CP would be the preferred carrier but it is unlikely that we will be given a definite answer as the carrier may vary based on the item, the buyers location etc.   

My main complaint about the EIS is the poor implementation which could result in people being turned off by it before it is working with all of the 'benefits' such as combined shipping and the option of prepaying import charges.  Plus, the cost of shipping seems to have some glitches and it has been a mess for some sellers in some categories.

Message 17 of 123
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

so i'm beyond confused now.  Does Ebay International SHIPPING use courier or postal system for final delivery in Canada?

I suspect it's going to vary, just as it does/did with the Global Shipping Program and other e-tailers.

Message 18 of 123
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I agree with @pjcdn2005's posts about the media release being about something other than eBay International Shipping and how eIS's terms and conditions for buyers are pretty similar to those for the GSP, including the part about Power of Attorney.  I don't think eBay International Standard has a set of T&C for buyers, however.  (I've never found one and I haven't purchased anything handled by that program.)

The rollout of the new eIS seems to share a lot in common with that of Managed Payments.  Both seem to be initially gradual transitions but that pace ramped up in a hurry once it was determined that things were going smoothly with the small percentage of users who transferred to the new system.  The bigger the pool of adopters (willing or unwilling) means a greater likelihood of undiscovered glitches being unearthed.

Message 19 of 123
latest reply

I have also read what i would call rumours that there may be additional charges upon delivery ie surprise charges. I can't believe that would be the case, it would be suicide for ebay to adopt a system like that.

If the additional charges are Canadian duties and sales taxes, that would not be a change from direct delivery via the international postal system.

With the GSP one of the most common complaints was the "high cost of shipping" which often turned out to be the cost of shipping PLUS Canadian duty and taxes, all charged before the seller even shipped the purchase. (And I know these were often separate on the actual invoice, but as we all know, Buyers Don't Read™)

Or the charge might be the service charge, like Canada Post's $9.95 or the much higher "customs brokerage charge" that couriers like UPS collects before actually turning over the shipment. Again, nothing new, unless the buyer has never imported a purchase before.

Message 20 of 123
latest reply