Global Shipping Kentucky Claimed item "Restricted" **bleep** is going on??

I have noticed a lot of people have been having this issue and decided since I am both astonished, confused, frustrated and some combination of all of the above for the purchase of a "vintage audio tube amplifier" shipped from the US to Canada being for labelled as "restricted" at the Kentucky EGSP center.

Yes they have refunded me for the full amount right away which I appreciate but like what the hell is going on?  I sent an email off to ebay basically stating my confusion and wanting and "actual world" explaination which I feel is just going to fall in to cyberspace never to be read by the human eye.

At the very least I am going to post this as a statment to all sellers and buyers who choose orders through this program, be forwarned that you purchase or sale my be confiscated for no explaianble reason other than "unbeleivable" as some people put it.

Solution? Don't use it, figure out shipping yourself or ask the seller to ship direct, I know because as a seller I ship everything direct to the buyer and have NEVER had any issues.  No middle man hands, just the post office and customs who do not fodle your fragile package as if it has no value.

So have I had an issue before with EGSP? Well yes and no, in fact it is so hit or miss that your package will show up with evidence of being "messed with" or "odly packed" that I would just brush it off as "okay that is odd but at least I got it".  This time however I did not get my purchase and I am not happy for the excuse used for an item that is not that out of the ordonary in the world of vintage electronics.

So for anyone at ebay management for Ebay global shipping program is reading this please pick up your act and do a better job of managing what you accept and what you do not accept as "shippable" to other countries so sellers and buyers can be more informed about this issue that has been created because I hate that I have to be the broken record toward an issue that has clearly not been resolved.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

marnotom!
Community Member

I see you've found an old thread that covers this issue.  You may also want to do a Google search for "vacuum tubes global shipping program" to find other similar threads on both the .ca and .com sites.

Keep in mind that "restricted" doesn't necessarily mean "illegal".  It may just mean that the carriers contracted out by the GSP don't want to take a chance on transporting certain items if they're not sure about how safe it is to do so.  The workers at the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky aren't hired as experts on vintage electronics.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I found an interesting thread on another forum that clarfies why this seems to be going on and why everyone selling and buying vintage tube gear needs to be informed of this: https://canadianvintageradio.com/cvrs-forums/topic/i-found-out-why-e-bay-and-global-shipping-have-re...

It is a rediculous issue and they need better management for addressing these sorts of items rather than  just stopping the item at their plant and then holding it hostage because they don't know how to properly identify what the tubes are.  They are very likely thinking they are dealing with "mercury" when ever they see that silver getter on the inside of the tube.   Or maybe they just need to get someone who actually knows how to handle and check vintage gear with tubes (which not like they don't have the money to do so), I don't know, maybe they also just don't care lol.

I did get a response from the support team but either they are just as mis-informed about the specific restrictions on the item because they still did not specify a real reason or even a link to a "restricted items list for shipment to canada through GSP" which is all I really want to see at this point.

Credit given for at least getting a prompt response as well as the fast refund but still not the right response for such a common occurance for buyers and sellers being misinformed.

I don't want to kick up a stink about the whole thing, I just want actual answers (as do many others) rather than speculation and "it is part of our policy to disallow certain items to other countries", be consistent if "vacuum tubes" are generalized as possibly being "restricted" due to what they can contain then provide a quick reference guide somewhere for sellers to work around this issue (selling item without tubes due to GSP customs policies unless in the US).

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Did you phone eBay or were you in a Chat with them on FaceBook?

The phone reps do not work for eBay. They are sub-contractors.

The written chats (Twitter, FaceBook, Chat) are eBay employees. And you get a transcript.

Your best bet with this -remembering that US and UK sellers were given the Global Shipping Program because they were terrified of selling overseas- is to ask the seller BEORE buying if he will ship using USPS First Class International Package, which offers tracking.

Usually tracking is the biggie here.
Unless you are buying tubes over $150 you will not have to pay duty on arrival. Unless you are buying tubes over $40 you will not have to pay sales tax on arrival. Canada Post does have a $9.95 service fee if they have to collect and remit import fees.

If the seller is too paranoid to ship without the GSP, the transaction is not likely to go well.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

The fact is, any shipper or shipping facilitator can restrict whatever item they want for international shipments.  If FedEx decided to prohibit wood pencils from international shipments, they'd be perfectly within their rights to do so.

I just checked the list of items that a prominent forwarder of shipments from the US won't handle, and one of the many is hoverboards. They're perfectly legal in Canada and they get into the country by other means, but for whatever reason (Possibly their batteries?), this particular mail/freight forwarder won't touch 'em.

It is what it is.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

A few years ago  Chinese made hoverboards were catching fire. I think it was the batteries. It was likely one manufacturer who had never heard of safety regulations.

But....

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

So Canada Border says no problem with audio tubes, other forwarders have no problem, it is a GSP thing to have an incorrect assessment from many years ago to falsley classify audio tubes as having mercury.  That discussion link provided is from 2017, and they are still doing it even though plenty of audio folks have contacted them.   

I have shipped 1960s tubes directly by mail and there is zero issue.   This is a ridiculous and undefensible position by the GSP folks.   

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

So Canada Border says no problem with audio tubes, other forwarders have no problem, it is a GSP thing to have an incorrect assessment from many years ago to falsley classify audio tubes as having mercury.  That discussion link provided is from 2017, and they are still doing it even though plenty of audio folks have contacted them.   

I have shipped 1960s tubes directly by mail and there is zero issue.   This is a ridiculous and undefensible position by the GSP folks.   

Canada isn't the only country served by the GSP.  This post on an Antique Radio site thread suggests that EU regulations may be what's influenced PBI to handle vacuum tube electronics the way that they are:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=333292&start=83

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

A few years ago  Chinese made hoverboards were catching fire. I think it was the batteries. It was likely one manufacturer who had never heard of safety regulations.

But....

For the number of times this issue has come up you would think the bots would block sellers from listing those types of items or atleast using Global to ship internationally. Would be interesting to know how many items actually get physically inspected etc at PB.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I had one (of three) purchase opened, inspected, repacked (in a much much larger box)  and delivered a few years back.

There was a notice in the box that the item had been opened at the GSP plant.

Considering how long it takes to make that assessment (including finding a new box), I doubt there are very many.  Even at the KY minimum wage of $10USD an hour.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I had one (of three) purchase opened, inspected, repacked (in a much much larger box)  and delivered a few years back.

There was a notice in the box that the item had been opened at the GSP plant.

Considering how long it takes to make that assessment (including finding a new box), I doubt there are very many.  Even at the KY minimum wage of $10USD an hour.

Understood. Inspections with the normal flow can be entirely random/whim or by xray. They have their flags. It's just what is causing they items to get inspected and blocked? Accidental bad luck or item description when documents pass an inspectors eyes?

-Lotz

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

For the number of times this issue has come up you would think the bots would block sellers from listing those types of items or atleast using Global to ship internationally. Would be interesting to know how many items actually get physically inspected etc at PB.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-for-Business-Podcast/Episode-160-Part-3-Tracking-Your-Social-Camp...

I've posted a link to this podcast before but it bears another post in this context, I think.  The GSP is only able to block listings by category.  It seems to be information (or lack of it) on the Item Specifics portion of the listing (as that's what's used on PBI's shipping manifests) that dictate if an item makes it through or not and that call doesn't get made until the item reaches Erlanger.  The podcast piece (starting at about 42:45) describes how an innocuous item was dead-ended at the Global Shipping Center due to eBay's auto-fill feature for Item Specifics.

Because listings for antiques/collectibles don't tend to use Item Specifics, it may lead to GSC workers having to make a judgement call based on guidelines they've received from PBI and may also be why Antiques wasn't a GSP-supported category when the program was first unleashed.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@marnotom! 

Thanks for the podcast. Guessing majority of buyers searching for these types of items would not be looking for a podcast on the subject. Well, maybe after their first problem with an order they might. Same goes for sellers. 

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_020.htm

The rules/guidelines or what is or isn't allowed when it comes to shipping gas tubes with USPS/CP etc  would be in eBay's best interest to be advising its users  more clearly  what is or isn't permitted instead of a sellers/buyers finding out the hard way.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Those type of tubes may or may not have mercury in them. GSP cannot tell so poof, no ship.  Another seller complained when his old oil lantern was  refused to ship. It was clean as a whistle but GSP does not care, at one time it had oil in it. Sad

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Thank you I have just delt with this problem with an expensive HAM radio that I even paid extra for to have double boxed and protected. And it is not something that should or even would be a customs issue.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM FEBRUARY 2022.

The problem with zombie threads is that the information and advice may be out of date and no longer applicable.

In thiscase, the GSP is being phased out and replaced by two programs with identical acronyms (eIS)

Under eIS , the import fees (duty if value is over $150 and sales taxes if over $40) will not be charged at the time of purchase/payment, but on delivery.

Which is going to be a shock to many Canadian buyers.

Not even counting that if the last mile is a courier, there may be high customs brokerage fees.

For all its many many faults, the GSP is about to look good in comparison.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

2021449.jpg

^^^^^^^^THIS MEANS OP STRUCK A NERVE AND THEY MUST HIDE THIS AND NOT LET ANYONE FIND THE TRUTH!

THE TRUTH IS THE GSP STEAL ITEMS THAT CANADIANS GOT TOO GOOD A DEAL ON OR THAT SOMEONE ELSE THAT WORKS AT GSP WANTS FOR THEMSELVES. SO THEY STEAL IT IN TRANSIT AND SELL IT THEMSELVES IN EBAY STORES LIKE THIS: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=163131683516&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=8ten1944

THOSE ARE ALL ITEMS STOLEN FROM CANADIAN BUYERS

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

WHATEVER!

Zombie Thread from 02-29-2022

and irrelevant as GSP is being retired

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

You really should START your own discussion instead of piggy backing old irrelevant topics...

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

SHOP CANADIAN it will be CHEAPER by the looks of things...

Message 20 of 21
latest reply