eBay's Global Shipping Program SUCKS!

So I am waiting on an item - it was coming from California, but because the seller uses the Global Shipping Program, it goes all the way to Erlinger, Kentucky (all the way to the east coast) before coming all the way back to Western Canada.

Now with the strike, the item (a new oxygen regulator for my mother who is on oxygen - and an oxygen regulator that is no longer available) is somewhere between Kentucky and Alberta.  Is there no way that a secondary shipping center could be set up so that items that aren't crossing the country don't have to cross country.

I'm now in the frustrating position of the tracking information not giving any information - and we're a week overdue on delivery. 

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

The GSP ...

...I have actually purchased from Sellers who use the GSP.

But, I only purchase when it is a large lot or bulk purchase, never single items. I do not mind paying the "fees" as they are all deductible anyway as "expenses" and when it is a large lot having the tracking and proof duty was paid is useful. I just advise my Seller to pack them well as the items will be going to Canada.

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

...I have actually purchased from Sellers who use the GSP.

But, I only purchase when it is a large lot or bulk purchase, never single items. I do not mind paying the "fees" as they are all deductible anyway as "expenses" and when it is a large lot having the tracking and proof duty was paid is useful. I just advise my Seller to pack them well as the items will be going to Canada.

That's just it.  Buyers have to do their homework and find out how the GSP works best for them. if it does.  As I've posted numerous times in the community, no shipping method is perfect for everything.  If sellers started shipping five dollar magazines as XPresspost Parcels, we wouldn't conclude that Xpresspost sucked.  We'd realize that the shipping method was just a poor fit for that particular item.

I've used the GSP for purchases of cell phones and paid way less in shipping than I would if the seller sent them by USPS Priority or by UPS, FedEx and their ilk.  And I didn't have to worry about crazy brokerage fees.  I haven't found anything else that I normally purchase that's a good fit for the GSP, but I'm not going to waste my sanity getting bent out of shape about it.  The sellers of those items likely wouldn't ship directly to Canada if the GSP didn't exist anyway.

One of the big problems with the GSP is that it's not very forgiving of seller slip-ups.  If the seller doesn't provide information on the item's shipping weight and dimensions, the GSP "bot" has to base its shipping charge on a category average, which can result in astronomical shipping charges for small items and occasionally jaw-droppingly low shipping charges for heavier items.

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried 2 or 3 times to use Shippo web abomination. I am a software engineer, but this... this web portal was made by weeded-smoked-trudeou programmers under heavy doses of weeddddd....

I am using paypal shipment, though does not have envelopes and very small parcel options.

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 44 of 44
latest reply