why is my order is always going to kentuky, erlanger?

Why my order is always sending to Erlanger, Kentucky. why not directly going to my address that kind of idea is causing delay of consumer item. that is another stop over and pending of consumer item. what are the benefit of that kind of idea. we are paying shipping costs that saying xpress shipping internationally. well if mostly item going to Kentucky first how many consumer or buyer item internationally are stuck on that process, employee breaks, off duty and no available to process this item that sit in that place for how many hour, days, or a week instead of directly going to the buyer address account so everybody happy.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Your seller istaking advantage of t he Seller Protection offered  by the Global Shipping Program.

You pay import fees to the program, which uses them to pay Canadian duty, sales taxes and a ~$5 service fee, all before  the seller even ships.

All GSP parcels go to Erlanger, which is fairly central.

They then are re-routed to the 100 -odd countries serviced by the program.

This is called a spoke and hub delivery system and is used by many transportation companies including airlines, Canada Post, USPS, and famously FedEx.

FedEx's system is well described in the first few minutes of the movie "Castaway".

I live on Vancouver Island. When I drop an item into my nearest postbox, it is taken to Richmond on the mainland by ferry, and then with hundreds of other shipments is sent off to its destination.

One planeload to Missisauga/Toronto, another to Chicago for NorthEastern USA, another back to Vancouver Island where it ends up with a carrier who delivers it to City Hall a 20 minute walk from my house (I'm a slow walker.)

When members post tracking information from GSP it is interesting that once you remove the repetition, the tracking will show a day or so getting to KY, then a few hours in the plant where it passes customs (don't panic, this is also true of many US customs brokers. There is no need for the customs broker to actually be in Canada), then nothing for a day or so, then acceptance by Canada Post and the usual five to ten days for delivery within Canada.

Hub and spoke delivery is counter-intuitive until you realize how many parcels are passing through any given hub in an hour.  Getting them all on the same truck or plane is much more efficient than sending each one on its own truck.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

'cause that's the way it is.
Give them a call and ask why.
I'm sure they've never considered this or similar scenarios.
Perhaps your concerns will enlighten them.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@89kobebryan 

Details attached on GSP.

https://www.ebay.com/help/global-shipping-program/default/global-shipping-program?id=4646

It's possible your seller has/was opted into the program without realizing.  There is an explanation on how a seller can opt out if they would like to. Hey, it never hurts to ask!!  I've found a few in the past that were unaware of a way to opt out.

Options available as follows:

You can opt out of the Global Shipping program at any time. 

You can also remove a single active listing from the Global Shipping Program. 

To remove all active listings from the Global Shipping Program

-Lotz

PS. Sidenote: Restricted categories most enlightening. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Well.. my item arrived at GSC last Dec. 22nd until now Dec. 28th when you track the number it's saying GSC sent electronic tracking number to the country postal receiver so not the item yet it's just notifying postal receiver that there is coming parcel to them. so I can't imagine my item how long been sit and stuck from GSC instead of ongoing directly to buyer destination address. they put on the item what is the expected date to deliver. ex: Dec.25 to Jan.10 so between that dates will receive the item but there is possible to received your item earlier than expected date if not rerouting the way. just like when you take a cab if your destination is just two blocks away and usually your taking 10mins. but the cab driver use different way and takes more than 10mins.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

forgot to mention that when you check the tracking number it saying " sender created shipping label. when we receive the item, we'll update the status and expected delivery date". So my item until now stuck in the G L O B A L S H I P P I N G C E N T E R Dec.22nd to present. that BUYER safety protection. 6th days holding your item is so much protection hey..
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

It's a Seller Protection.

Once at the plant in Erlanger, the seller is no longer responsible for delivery or for damage in transit. (The plant will not accept obviously damaged shipments.)

Delivery and responsibility now moves to GSP, which has been pretty good about refunding on Disputes.

Tracking shows where a shipment has been.

You should have been sent a UPAA xxxxx number. Check your spam folders.

Unison worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
I found this thread today while awaiting a shipment. Once I learned that Pitney Bowes was the relevant company, I was able to find my package's tracking info in about 10 seconds.

Step 1: Go to the Pitney Bowes Parcel Tracker page at https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

Step 2: Enter your eBay-supplied Global Tracking number (mine began with UPAA...)

Step 3: You will be shown limited tracking info. In my case, only up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, in my case Canada Post, with a tracking number in THEIR system.

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided... 

Use the link to see what the current situation is.

I'm not sure the plant would be at full throttle on Sunday the 22nd, and pretty sure it would be closed on the 25th/26th. So in terms of business days, your shipment has been held for three business days, and probably won't move until Monday.  But weekend shifts are a thing, so...

they put on the item what is the expected date to deliver. ex: Dec.25 to Jan.10 so between that dates will receive the item

I take it "they" is eBay?

The earliest date for delivery was Dec. 25th, which shows that robots can't understand calendars.

And the last estimated date for "on time" delivery will be January 10th.

There's a lot to be said for not looking at tracking.

Mark the last date for delivery on your calendar and don't think about it until then.

Tracking does not move shipments faster, nor does it protect them from damage.

Tracking, and the entire GSP, is a Seller Protection Program.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

For some folks that have ordered xyz widget the reason they are curious or concerned about updating tracking is either a) it lets them know there package has arrived in the their community mailbox or b) has been dropped off on the their front step/apt. lobby in the last 5 minutes or hour. As soon as it's on their front step it risks magically walking away all by itself. It may sound like warm fuzzies but the knowing can stop lots of grief knowing where it currently is. Also can let someone know if it's on the way if they expect to be out running errands when it arrives and they can adjust their schedule accordingly. Whenever I have the opportunity I sign up for delivery updates and final confirmations of delivery.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Between holidays, temp workers, new carriers, carriers covering walks for sick colleagues, my mail gets delivered between 8 am and 4pm. No regularity.

So staying home for a package makes little sense.

And the delivery may be "safe dropped" without the use of the doorbell.

If there is a problem with porch pirates, the buyer would be better to mark his postbox or mail slot as "No Safe Drop" and have it returned to the Postal Outlet for next day pickup.

Canada Post has a new service which will do this automatically, separate from actual Mailbox delivery.

But what really is a problem is the buyer who watches the shipment every step of the way, without understanding how the postal system actually works.

Or that, if anything, Tracking that goes wrong can leave them with no product and no money.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Tracking can also include couriers which are the most guiltiest of leaving things in plain sight. There have been numerous stories recently on the news of folks having packages dropped off on front step, receiver getting a message of said drop off and then watching on their doorbell cam as it walks away minutes later. You can leave a note on your door about safe dropping. No guarantees the driver will read and obey. It means they have to take the time to leave a note. They're on a schedule to delivery as fast and as much  as possible during a shift. Also can be a major inconvenience for the disabled who have trouble getting to the front door in 2 seconds or less. Porch pirates are the new reality in this world we live in.

See link for what can go wrong.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3767203/The-frustrating-hilarious-ways-postmen-delivered-...

-Lotz

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

So your saying GSP is the only safest shipping company other than that everything is garbage. they are trusty employee.  I don't see any employee of GSP delivering package so far. not unless they sending to the postal company of every destination.  so it is same thing they just touching the item for nothing. causing of delaying package i'm not expecting earlier delivery i'm just saying instead ongoing directly to the buyer address and possible early delivery. when you send your package in any shipping company do you think they don't responsible what ever happen to the item? they build that kind of business they have to responsible of what they are doing same as you expecting with your G S P!!  so why GSP still sending the package to other shipping company if they are not safe to bring the item, why they don't bring the package directly to buyer address.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@89kobebryan 

If I said anything previously in support of the GSP service it was entirely accidental. I was only sharing my opinions on why some buyers prefer tracking.  I avoid the Global Shipping Program at all costs. End of story. For my location it just doesn't work as a method for ordering/receiving packages. (Additional costs, extra handling and delivery time.) GSP is just a middle point agent of Ebay that unfortunately numerous US sellers have chosen to use. It's up to the buyer to decide if they want to use that seller.  As it was stated previously, for anyone that has a package that is processed through GSP they need to be able to locate that package in an easy, streamlined manner and that includes who it has been forwarded to for final delivery. Something that buyers keep on coming back here for when they have problems. If it's delayed or stopped in its tracks the receiver should be able to find out why and then what they need to do to resolve their particular situation.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@89kobebryan 

The GSP is run by PitneyBowes.

They subcontract delivery, so you will never see a GSP or PB truck.

Usually delivery is done by Canada Post, but we have seen reports/complaints about CanPar, FedEx and recently Apple Express who seemed to be so bad that they lost their contract and are no longer used.

Other companies that sub-contract to Canada Post are UPS, FedEx, Loomis and DHL who only deliver in urban/suburban areas. Recipients in rural and isolated communities are more likely to have their "UPS" delivery come with the regular mail.

And all of those companies, like GSP and Canada Post, use the hub and spoke delivery system. 

Have you found your UPAA number yet?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

The last GSP order I made was delivered by Purolator.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I am getting very **bleep** off with eBay these days.
I watch my items go on vacation all over the States and wind up sitting at Erlanger for days/weeks before continuing onward. If I'm paying for this, please give the buyer an option to opt out!!!! I'd rather have my item!
eBay has made shopping on their site a complete pain in the a__.
Even logging on now requires proving I am a human by making me jump through their BS puzzles several times before logging me in.
The also implement taxes on used items sold by average people who do not have a business but are just getting rid of things they own. Kijiji doesn't do that, Marketplace doesn't do that!
This is likely one of the last times I buy off eBay after being a member for near 20 years.
It's just gotten too much and I won't jump through their hoops.
Sadly, the only place you can buy from without eBay BS is from China.  How sad is that?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

You have responded to a thread from 2019, sometimes it's best to start your own thread to address a current problem/issue.

Buyers have a choice= they do not have to purchase from sellers who use the Global shipping system...Although I rarely purchase anything from the USA anymore=if I can find said item here in Canada even if I have to pay more $ for an item, I take that route=I will not purchase anything from a seller who uses the Global shipping system...and no China is not the only place to purchase items= I never want or need an item so badly that I would order/purchase from China!

and if you think the taxation only applies to eBay you are so very wrong. This also applies to many other online selling sites= it is law=eBay is required by law to collect the taxes.

Kijiji & FB Marketplace are intended for local buying & selling and here in Canada are not set up with payment systems, shipping systems,etc the same as eBay or Amazon,etc. so are not currently required to collect taxes the same as marketplace facillitators such as eBay,Etsy,Amazon,etc., but that does not mean changes to Kijiji & FB Marketplace are not going to happen at some point in the future ...

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

FB Marketplace seems to have announced that Free Listings will end in June 2023.

They have been charging when items are shipped for over a year.

https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/does-facebook-marketplace-charge-fees

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/223030991929920?id=533228987210412

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 18 of 18
latest reply