Ebay wants my I.D. due to address change?

Have been on Ebay for years but recently moved, had to put ebay on hold for three weeks and once I changed my address on ebay I received a message that requires photo I.D. in order to continue. Problem is any photo I.D. still has my previous address. I'm assuming they are looking to correlate my I.D. and change of address, but the two do not match. Is this going to be an issue? P.S. Why would anyone readily trust ebay with their personal I.D. information online?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

marnotom!
Community Member

@drwho534 wrote:

Problem is any photo I.D. still has my previous address. I'm assuming they are looking to correlate my I.D. and change of address, but the two do not match. Is this going to be an issue? 

As part of its overall makeover that's been going on for the past couple of years, eBay seems to have really ramped up efforts to keep user accounts secure.  Your guess as to why they require the ID they're asking for seems to be a good one, so I think you've pretty much answered your own question.

@drwho534 wrote:

P.S. Why would anyone readily trust ebay with their personal I.D. information online?

This site requires a certain amount of trust in order to function.  You already trust that eBay will deposit monies from your sales to a bank account for which you've provided relevant information.  For what it's worth, I've had to provide photo ID to a small handful of non-eBay sites over the course of the past few months.  This seems to be how things are going online, for good or for ill.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

In the short run, perhaps contacting one of the social media accounts , which unlike the phones, are covered by actual trained eBay employees might give you some gracetime.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

I don't suppose you have anything else to offer, like your passport (which doesn't have an address) or a utility bill (which doesn't have a picture) to build up a proof of identity.

There is some hope that the new stringency for identification might help end the hijacking of unused or abandoned accounts by scammers. Maybe. With luck. And flexibility.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hello,

This happened to me as well when I moved back in November of 2021.  Since the MTO was behind I knew that I would be waiting for my drivers license with my new address so I opted to use my passport.  I think your Health Card would work as well.

I agree with previous comments in that this will be a good way of eliminating fradulent / hijacked accounts and it does seem to be how online commerce his heading.

All the best

Message 4 of 4
latest reply