Search and how it works NOW!!

tyler@ebay 

I'm in the process of listing an antique book so I did a quick search and saw some very "interesting" results. Search terms I used were as follows:

"vintage edition vanity fair nelson"

"vintage edition vanity fair nelson book" .

Another sellers test as follows. I saw very similar. I realize you do get different search results with each test but you should in theory get close 

.CA through browser on phone "classic site" 

Book A.jpg

Book B.jpg

Similar results when searched on a pc in chrome.

When you type in the name of a book, matching book results should display. In doing other searches recently (Since all the IS updating) similar strange results show up routinely.  eBay search worked perfectly fine in the past. Many other sellers are sharing very similar stories with me based on the categories they have sold in for years. Less traffic and less sales resulting. 

-Lotzofuniquegoodies. 

Disclaimer: Posted for both serious and the levity of the displayed search results.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Wow - quite a difference.

I wonder why, on the first the search,  search engine  would assume underwear instead of books.

Very interesting😆

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

For a slight clarification Nelson is the publisher involved. There are several publishers for all the assorted editions but that information is relevant to anyone searching. The author is  W. M. Thackery. 

-Lotz

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Vanity Fair was Eaton's in-house lingerie brand.

NIB lingerie from the 20th century - the earlier the better- has a double market, fetish and vintage.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Also a magazine. First published 1913.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I agree that search definitely has some problems.  But in this case, neither search shows a match for all of the search words so the matches shown use similar words.  It's not suprising that adding the word book totally changes the search results.  In the first search, it appears that the words vintage vanity fair appear in that exact order more often which is probably why the first search concentrated on those items.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My and the others that I have recently spoken with, since these changes biggest concern for a good number of sellers, this was not an improvement. Less eyes because of a sudden new way very few buyers/and or sellers means less traffic to a sellers items. This means less sales and all confirmed by the stream of sellers reporting this. If you weren't listing in the categories affected you probably have not seen a noticeable difference in sales and traffic.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - I agree with @pjcdn2005's observation: the keywords used don't return immediate results so you're shown results from matching categories (and thanks to @reallynicestamps for the sleuthing there). 

I did notice if I rearranged the order of words in your search query I got different results,  which makes sense give what we know now about the vintage underwear line. 

I don't currently see this as a technical issue, but I appreciate the conversation that's taken place thus far!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply