July 8 2020 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

The chat this week is targeted specifically at managed payments and is open for your questions. It will remain open until tomorrow afternoon, at which point it will be closed for our expert to review.

Please leave your payments related questions below and a payments expert will work on getting you answers* starting tomorrow through the rest of the week. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

*Disclaimer here that there may be some questions that they aren't able to address, so not all questions may get an answer. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: July 8 2020 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

@storage_warriors wrote:

1) Can we have a US dollar bank account registered in Canada, and have payments deposited there?

2) Can we have 2 bank accounts for deposits - one for USD sales and one for Cdn dollar sales?

3) Can we see a sample of what the reports will look like, so I can get feedback from my bookeeper that she will actually be able to get the information she needs?

Hi @storage_warriors  - 

re: 1) and 2) This is what we’re looking to achieve for Canadian sellers, but not immediately. If you are selling in USD, you do not need to register for managed payments at this time. We’ll reach out to you when it’s time to register. 

When it comes to 3) we don’t have specific examples to share, but if you have a payments teammate contact you they can show you some of the reporting options available.

Message 41 of 62
latest reply

@storage_warriors wrote:

I received my 4th reminder to sign up for MP by July 15. The email indicates I only have one week to register.

...or what? What happens if I don't? Do my 4400 listings just vanish? Do I stop getting money for the things that sell? Do I get kicked off of eBay? 

This program is clearly not ready for implementation, which is why many of us are reluctant to sign up. We can't even see how it works...is there a demo or something, maybe from the buyer's perspective, so we can see how it's different at both ends of the transaction?

Hi @storage_warriors - If we’ve notified you to register by a certain date and you don’t, it could impact your ability to list items in the future.

Message 42 of 62
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

I think I know the answer for this but just to confirm.

How badly are sellers going to be penalized if they choose not to sign up for Managed Payments. Many sellers will be in the middle of store subscriptions and penalties as they are so written could be extreme. This is taking into consideration that for many sellers they have more questions than answers for this program.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - We want to make this as seamless a transition as possible for members. However, since managed payments is the future of payment processing on eBay, if you were to refuse to join eventually you wouldn’t be able to continue selling with us.

Message 43 of 62
latest reply

@junkinourtrunkantiques wrote:
If I were to register for eBay managed payments can I use my us based usd account and receive the us funds without converting them to Canadian?
The only difference I can see for my situation then anyone in the us, is I'm a Canadian using the us site. My banking would be the same as someone selling in Delaware. Just my address is Canada and I don't have a social security #.
Please advise.

Hi @junkinourtrunkantiques - Not at this time but we’re actively working on that. As mentioned in another response, if you sell in USD right now, you don’t need to register for managed payments.

Message 44 of 62
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

My question would be directed to the actual payment, to the seller. I assume similar to paypal we will receive a notice that payment has been received it is ok to ship?? Will the ship to address be tied to the payment source provided, or the address provided to ebay when the buyer registers on ebay.. Because as i have seen many, many times people who have moved never update their address on ebay, only on paypal,, Because that is the only address that ever needed to be correct..

If ebay says we need to mail to the address listed on ebay, there will be a lot of people not getting their items until, they update their address..

Hi @esclyons - You’re right that we’ll notify you that payment has been received and that an item is good to ship. We’ll always ask you to ship to the address that the buyer uses at checkout.

Message 45 of 62
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

I'm also curious as to what will happen to our accounts if we do not register by July.15/20?

What consequences will a 15 year old veteran seller receive, who has never received a negative feedback, had maybe one or two returns in 15 years of selling, always paid his selling fee's on time, has never received a defect and has maintained a 5 out of 5 DSR's 

I know what you are going to say, you received three email notifications since Apr/20 to "register now''. But it is only on the fourth email sent July.7 where it actually said we had a deadline to register by July.15th. 

Why wasn't this due date in the earlier emails? It probably would of helped a lot of sellers transition into MP or prepare to leave.

Why is this week's, Weekly Chat dedicated to answering Managed Payments questions when those sellers have until July.15/20 to sign-up of else? Why is this happening one week before the registration due date? Shouldn't there have been a dedicated thread(s) a month or two ago so Canadian sellers could be better prepared for the transition to Managed Payments? 

If I decide to leave would eBay give on those exclusive eBay hoodies for 15 flawless years of service? How will eBay compensate sellers for their many years of dedicated service? 

Or is it going to be a too bad so sad type send off? 

Hi @silverpinups - If you’ve received notification to register by a certain date and do not it could impact your ability to list items in the future. You would have received emails from us since May that specifically called out that registration was needed by July 15th.. We also had a dedicated payments chat a month ago too - you can find details of it here.

Message 46 of 62
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

...or what? What happens if I don't? Do my 4400 listings just vanish?

At the moment my plan is to close all my listings on July 13 and leave them in my Unsold Listings until I have read enough about the Managed Payment problems and fixes to make me comfortable with signing up.

With my Stores, that allows me /eBay 60 to 90 days to correct problems.

And again.

Can I sign up for Managed Payments using a US bank as well as a Canadian bank when all of my active eBay accounts are on dotCA?

Hi @femmefan1946 - Not at this time - you will need to attach a Canadian chequing account for your dotCA accounts. 

Message 47 of 62
latest reply

@koolkoolthangs wrote:
I’m confused and terrified.
Having half of my listings on .com amd the other half on .ca I am wondering what is going to happen? Can I still list on USD on either site or only one? Or never again?
What will happen to my listings on .com on the 15th?

Hi @koolkoolthangs  - Hoping we can allay some of those fears! With so much of your business split between the two sites we’ll make sure your account isn’t turned on for managed payments until it’s able to support your listings on both sites.

Message 48 of 62
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:
I really hate the idea if being forced by ebay to give them access to my Chequing account. I use it to pay rent, bills etc. Will ebay have the right in the fine print to just help themselves to money from my account to pay fees? Too help themselves any time they want to? I safegaurd my banking info. That's why I use paypal for online transactions.

I haven't had any listings on ebay for a month now. It's ironic that this month will mark 14 years as a top rated seller, when I may just decide to shut it all down due to this B.S.. I don't appreciate ebays ominous sounding emails badgering me to sign up. Doing this during an ongoing Pandemic when folks have more than enough stress and worry about just surviving shows exactly how little ebay really cares about sellers.

Not impressed by the lack of clear, honest info. Typical ebay.

Hi @forester_studios - With managed payments, fees are netted at the time of sale meaning the only fees you’d need to pay on your invoice would be those that are billed monthly (ex: a store subscription). These would be paid with your virtual account balance (sales proceed before payout) or via credit card if you don’t have sufficient funds. Accessing a seller’s bank account is an absolute last resort for us.

Message 49 of 62
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

@storage_warriors wrote:

1) Can we have a US dollar bank account registered in Canada, and have payments deposited there?

2) Can we have 2 bank accounts for deposits - one for USD sales and one for Cdn dollar sales?

3) Can we see a sample of what the reports will look like, so I can get feedback from my bookeeper that she will actually be able to get the information she needs?

I have the same questions.  70% of my sales are US and I have a US bank account in a US bank also a US SIN #.   I would like to have my Canadian put in my Canadian account and my US money in my US Bank account.   I don't have a bookkeeper.

Hi @musicyouneed - This is not currently an available option for you but we’re working on it. However, depending on the specifics of your account you may consider applying to the .com program (if you have a US based registration address as well).

Message 50 of 62
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

My other question is, I don't ship until I get paid.  How is that going to work, are my shipments going to be delayed because of it. Should I add on a few more days to my handling?

Hi @musicyouneed - We ask that you ship your item when you receive order confirmation and trust in eBay’s seller protection policies. We’ve made changes to the program under managed payments to make them easier and more comprehensive. You have the option to select daily or weekly payouts (I recommend daily in your case). Please remember that funds may take 2-3 business days to reach your account, depending on the payment source.

Message 51 of 62
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:
I have not as of yet received an invitation for MP, so am I assume that I'm not part of the initial rollout? My last year I sold heavily to US, so perhaps that is why.

What is the estimate for the next round of invites so I can schedule and prepare in case I need to switch?

Also, how does the change to MP affect eBay Bucks? Currently the eBay Bucks is paid out using a PayPal voucher. Once MP kicks into gear, the requirements to place an order with a seller that accepts PayPal might (or not?) be complicated.

Hi @retroman_studios - 

We anticipate the majority of members being in managed payments by the end of 2020. If you haven’t yet received a notification to register you may not be included in this wave. However, we definitely suggest preparing your business now for eventual enrollment. 

When it comes to eBay Bucks there are no disruptions to the program for managed payments sellers.

Message 52 of 62
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

Hi Tyler
Those Canadians who ship using Shippo, linked through eBay Canada, want to know how they will pay Shippo when on MP. Currently it is paid out via paypal.

Thanks

Hi @mandicrafts - While there is not currently a process in place to integrate Shippo with managed payments, you are still able to use PayPal to fund labels purchased with them.

Message 53 of 62
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

Some USA eBay sellers are receiving incentive $$ credits to register for MP.
Will there be any incentives offered to Canadian eBay sellers?

Hi @mandicrafts - eBay offers various promotional opportunities to sellers throughout the year. They do not always apply to every seller and oftentimes the criteria is quite specific. If an account qualifies for such an offer it would be communicated to them via eBay message or other outreach.

Message 54 of 62
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

How will it work when on MP for the quarterly coupons for eBay branded supplies?

Hi @mandicrafts - Managed payments will not impact the way a coupon works for the quarterly eBay branded shipping supplies.

Message 55 of 62
latest reply

@ayatcg wrote:
So what happen to those who have an invite. But sell on both .com and .CA do I just ignore the invite or so I have to accept and enroll into it.

Hi @ayatcg - If you’ve received a notification to register we strongly encourage you to do so. When we are able to support your business with payments across both sites your account will then be activated.

Message 56 of 62
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

Once a seller is enrolled live into MP, does the seller have to do any manual editing to their listings? Payment method? Payment Policies? Or will this be done by eBay automatically?

Hi @mandicrafts - Once activated, your listings will be updated automatically. There’s nothing that you need to do.

Message 57 of 62
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

In the past when a refund was processed for International buyer it was processed based on the Exchange rate at the time of the original transaction. How will it work now when you process a refund from your bank account and/or will the line item in your bank account show the exchange rate when it posts?(Or just the amount in Canadian Funds?)

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - With managed payments, we will also use the exchange rate at the time of sale for refunds. When processing a refund, we will notify you in the flow of the amount owed in the listing currency as well as your payout currency.

Message 58 of 62
latest reply

@pl-randoms 

Will eBay be making offers to sellers who purchased items to sell on eBay that were acceptable when they listed but are no longer acceptable in Managed Payments. (There are other categories that will apply to some besides coins & bullion). For me it is slightly shy of 1500.00. For others it may be substantially more. Those items were purchased by sellers in good faith for resale.

This question is partially tongue in cheek and also a very serious concern, but needs to be addressed.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - If you list in a category that’s restricted by managed payments, we won’t send you an invite until your category is accepted. There’s nothing that you need to do at this point.

Message 59 of 62
latest reply

@2dogsdigs wrote:
My main question is how fast payment will be able to come directly to us as the seller. Currently with PayPal we have money deposited to us within minutes from which we are able to buy/pay for our shipping through eBay or any other shipper. How long will it take for eBay to process those funds so that we have access to them and if there is a delay why is any delay happening versus how PayPal currently handles it?

Hi @2dogsdigs - We aim to pay you as quickly as possible, but are dependent on the credit card brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc.) and banks for payout processing and timely funds settlement. Typical processing time for funds to clear is 2-3 business days to clear. Payouts to your bank account for cleared funds will occur as you schedule them: daily or weekly.

Message 60 of 62
latest reply