$22 to ship QC to NS?

Did canada post increased the cost of tracked shipping?

$22 to ship a tiny 150g 4x8 bubble mailer QC to NS

This is out of control

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

$22 to ship QC to NS?

shipping costs have increased, fuel surcharges have increased...>Expedited parcel rates have increased significantly, which means flat rate boxes may be a few dollars cheaper now...

for example: to ship a 450 g item in a box  26X20X13 cm expedited parcel from SK. to QC. is over $25. That same item shipped in the smallest size of CP flat rate box(35X26X5cm) costs about $20.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

$22 to ship QC to NS?

Rates haven't increased since mid September, but the fuel surcharge fluctuates weekly. Currently domestic parcels have an extra 37% tacked onto them due to fuel surcharge; hard to ship anything for less than $20 these days through Canada Post. The flat rate box in this case would be cheaper as it's only $18.99+tax. Or, just send it as a Registered Letter since it's only 2 cm thick. Will run you $12.94 plus any applicable tax.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

$22 to ship QC to NS?

Or, just send it as a Registered Letter since it's only 2 cm thick. Will run you $12.94 plus any applicable tax

That's what i did. Used the service for the first time i had no choice. Cost 50% of the price by doing it

I did not know signature requiered was forced with the service tho, i don't like that i hope it won't cause problems

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

$22 to ship QC to NS?

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Or, just send it as a Registered Letter since it's only 2 cm thick. Will run you $12.94 plus any applicable tax

That's what i did. Used the service for the first time i had no choice. Cost 50% of the price by doing it

I did not know signature requiered was forced with the service tho, i don't like that i hope it won't cause problems

Yeah, collecting a signature is part of the Registered Lettermail service. I've sent many over the years and haven't had anyone complain, but could see some people annoyed if it ends up getting carded and sent to their post office for pickup. On the other hand some buyers appreciate the security associated with it so they know they're receiving their item.

If it's something you end up doing regularly, maybe consider putting a small disclaimer in your description along the lines of "higher-value items may be sent with signature required at the seller's discretion - please contact before purchasing if this will be an issue".

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

$22 to ship QC to NS?

1 - Keep a few size small flat rate boxes on hand. They are almost always cheaper to use than parcel rates. 

2 - If you have access to Chit Chats, use them when possible. Keep in mind, it will take 1-2 weeks from when you drop the package off. If you are "upgrading" from economy to parcel, that's usually fine. If you promise Expedited ship times, the customer might be unhappy. If the city you are shipping to is near a Chit Chats branch, you can usually ship a bubble mailer or small parcel for $10-$15. 

3 - As you ended up doing, registered lettermail gets you delivery confirmation and is cheaper. 

Unfortunately, almost every parcel costs $20 to ship now with Canada Post. Even with Small Business discounts. Some regional packages might be a few dollars cheaper. It used to be that a flat rate box was almost never cheaper. Now a flat rate box is either the same or cheaper than most small parcels. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

$22 to ship QC to NS?

@dinomitesales wrote:

Rates haven't increased since mid September, but the fuel surcharge fluctuates weekly. Currently domestic parcels have an extra 37% tacked onto them due to fuel surcharge; hard to ship anything for less than $20 these days through Canada Post. The flat rate box in this case would be cheaper as it's only $18.99+tax. Or, just send it as a Registered Letter since it's only 2 cm thick. Will run you $12.94 plus any applicable tax.

Strangely, eBay has no problem with negotiating better rates for US sellers (ebay Labels platform) and the carriers aligned with eBay. See attached. Based on US zone rates USPS. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/USPS-decreased-rates-for-Priority-Mail-labels-effective-...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/FedEx-Home-Delivery-Rates-Decrease-Effective-November-8-...

Unless this is actually what is going on?

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I am already getting exactly the same price from Pirateship that you are showing as the "new" rate. So the only conclusion is that eBay is trying to claim credit for something the post office did on its own.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

$22 to ship QC to NS?

1.) We don't get a discount on Flat Rate Boxes with our Solutions for Small Business account. On the other hand, the boxes are already discounted.

3.) Regular Parcel (or Expedited with the SfSB #) are tracked and Delivery Confirmed. Registered is Signature Confirmed. Not a huge difference.

For the moment, Tyler @ebay has confirmed that eBay is accepting carrier confirmation even for Signature Confirmed items. I was asked to sign for a package by Canada Post at my door last week, which was a pleasant surprise.

If a customer whines about having to go to the PO for his parcel (and the lineups are long as the holiday season starts), you can politely present it as a Porch Pirate Prevention measure which benefits him, although it benefits you more.

$22 to ship a tiny 150g 4x8 bubble mailer QC to NS

Is the value of the contents worth paying for the insurance against false INR claims that tracking gives?

Are your losses to (possibly false) INR claims greater than your lost sales because of high shipping prices?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply