About Using the CPC Website for Shipping Labels

I've always found this site a  PITA to use.

One big problem is that the labels always print out too small.

I've found that when I keep at it long enough I eventually get a label which is a usable size but it takes a LONG time and I have no idea why it suddenly prints out as it should.

When I call they give all sorts of reasons but I don't believe any of them.

For example: I'm often told it's because I use a Mac and use Safari but I've tried other browsers and it's always the same.

Does anyone know if there's a fix to get the right sized label?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK... it sounds like for some reason, I cannot say why, your printer is printing in landscape mode when using that site.

I'm not all that familiar with the Mac environment but I imagine when you initiate a print job your printer icon appears somewhere in the tray at the bottom of the screen? Double clicking or right mouse clicking on the printer icon should provide access to the printer properties. The orientation setting should be easy to locate and change.
A good way to be sure what effect your setting changes are having is to look for and select "preview before printing ". This will let you preview how the document will look before you print it, saves a bit of ink and a lot of frustration.

Of course there are other paths to access the printer properties , unfortunately it has been awhile since I've had my hands on my daughters' Macbooks ... cannot remember what the mac term is for the Control Panel.

The newer Windows versions of Chrome or Edge Web browsers provide there own version of print properties as well as a direct link to system printer properties whenever a print job is requested.
Does Safari behave this way now too?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Your printer software (driver) controls print output size and many other properties . Have you checked your printer software properties?

For instance, is the print orientation set to landscape, that might foul things up. The paper size could have been changed to something other than 8 1/2 x 11. Scaling might be selected etc.

If you're not familiar with standard print properties reset to default settings.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The only time I ever have this issue is with the CPO site.

The problem seems to be that it's printing from side to side instead of top to bottom but since I've never had to alter that before I don't know hot to do it.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

OK... it sounds like for some reason, I cannot say why, your printer is printing in landscape mode when using that site.

I'm not all that familiar with the Mac environment but I imagine when you initiate a print job your printer icon appears somewhere in the tray at the bottom of the screen? Double clicking or right mouse clicking on the printer icon should provide access to the printer properties. The orientation setting should be easy to locate and change.
A good way to be sure what effect your setting changes are having is to look for and select "preview before printing ". This will let you preview how the document will look before you print it, saves a bit of ink and a lot of frustration.

Of course there are other paths to access the printer properties , unfortunately it has been awhile since I've had my hands on my daughters' Macbooks ... cannot remember what the mac term is for the Control Panel.

The newer Windows versions of Chrome or Edge Web browsers provide there own version of print properties as well as a direct link to system printer properties whenever a print job is requested.
Does Safari behave this way now too?
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I use a Mac.

Yes,  the 'print' page does allow changing from portrait to landscape and landscape covers the entire page.

It also allows changing the size of the print by percentage.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Just to clarify my own comments... the CP label is designed to print using "Portrait" orientation.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank You Thank You Thank You .......................

Got it.  Finally.

The CPO site makes me crazy every time I'm forced to use it.

It's been one issue after another for years, but I think this printing problem is solved.  I hope it's the last issue.

For a service with only one job to do you'd think they'd make the effort to ensure that it runs smoothly.

I've wasted so much time over the years fussing with their shipping tool when I could have been listing and selling I cringe to think about what they've cost me.

Now that they've forced those of us who buy labels on line to turn to their site I have no choice but to make it work for me.

If it hadn't been forced like this I would be happy to pay a little more and buy my labels elsewhere.

I've often seen posts here from sellers who have the same issue printing labels that I've had (past tense touch wood), yet they deny that the fault lies with their service.

I've never had this issue with anything else and that's why it took so long to correct it.

The help is very much appreciated.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"Now that they've forced those of us who buy labels on line to turn to their site"...

no one is being forced to use the Canada Post website to purchase & print labels. Now that there is no longer the bigger discounts through Shippo,  sellers have three choices:

1. continue using Shippo

2. use PayPal Shipping

3. use Canada Post Snap Ship.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply