Adding Tracking numbers for multiple sales

Recently I had sales in two of our stores to the same buyer on the same day. Naturally I packed both orders into one box and shipped with tracking to the US.

eBay would not permit me to add the same tracking number to both listings (only the first).

The buyer later opened a dispute of non-receipt with respect to the listing where I was unable to add the tracking.

Whie speaking to CS I was told I should have shipped them separately. To me that is just wasteful.

Due to the higher value of the items I specified getting the buyer signature upon receipt which helped in winning the case.

The point of this would be that eBay should permit adding any tracking number but verify if that number provided ended up in being handed off to the shipper and finally delvered instead of blocking the duplicates.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

This will also happen if the buyer uses two different ID's. Generally it will be for folks using guest accounts, athough I had a regular buyer do it, not sure why they used a separate account for each but I was only able to attach the tracking number to the one item. Fortunately for me, no problems with delivery.

I can understand why because not so honest sellers could attach the same tracking number to multiple sendings (not sure why one would do it but I bet someone was!).

Hmmm adendum, I see that it was two of your stores, so it is more likely it is your two IDs that was causing the problem.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As @ricarmic mentioned, you cannot post the same tracking number to multiple purchases if the buyer has used mutiple id's OR the purchases were from multiple seller accounts.

It has always been this way and it's not ever going to change. The reason is obvious, I won't explain how this could be abused if allowed but I can assure you that less than honest seller would use it to rip off buyers.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Yeah, the same thing can happen if a buyer purchases multiple items without an account. Each purchase has a different randomized buyer username and can't have the same tracking number attached. The best option is likely to contact them and make them a special bundle. It's also worth noting that if a drop shipper is purchasing them, they may not want them all in the same package. That may have in fact been what happened here.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Whie speaking to CS I was told

The sound of a human voice is reassuring, but the phone clerks have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

In this case, the problem seems to be shipping from two accounts to one buyer.

Use Facebook * to Chat with a real eBay employee.

Wait until tomorrow -Monday- and remember that in Utah the fourth of July is some sort of holiday.

The transcript is the thing here.

Both for your understanding and for followup appeals.

*Or one of the others.  None of them are fast. The reps have time to research and consider.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Whie speaking to CS I was told

The sound of a human voice is reassuring, but the phone clerks have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

In the OP's situation the information they were given by the phone rep was 100% correct.

Maybe the reason the phone reps have a bad reputation is because some people constantly claim they do even when the answers they give are 100% accurate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply