Items Specifics (Toys & Hobbies... Action Figures) needs updating

The issues I have with Item Specifics have been happening since inception, so hopefully if I post about it here, someone at eBay can eventually address it. We've been told countless times to fill-in the specifics to get to 100% to help with your search engine Voodoo, but with some items that's not possible.

I've used the "Tell us what you think" link multiple times over the years without any evidence of changes ever getting made.

Category: Toys & Hobbies > Action Figures & Accessories > Action Figures:

- Model should NOT be a required item. I always put NA for this.

- Convention Event should NOT be a required item. I always put NA for this.

- Sport should NOT be a required item. I always put NA for this.

- Featured Person/Artist should NOT be a required item. I always put the character name for this.

- Graded should be a dropdown. It should be a YES/NO and ONLY if you choose YES should the fields Grade, Professional Grader and Certification Number appear. These fields should NOT appear as they are currently doing for every item and they constantly keep my items from attaining 100% for item specifics.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

devon@ebay 

From @wecango88 's keyboard to your screen

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It looks like the only item specific required for Action Figures is 'Type' so that is all you really 'need' to have.  If there are other specifics pertaining to your item then fill them out but otherwise, just ignore the rest. Regardless of what ebay recommends, there is no need to stress if the specific does not make sense.   The item specifics are for when a buyer checks off specific criteria on the left side of the search page so I just use the item specifics in my listings for things that I think people would search by.

I pay zerio attention to what eBay recommends as I think it simply clutters up the listing when too many irrelevant item specifcs are filled out.   For example, I see Transformer as a specific in 4 or 5 places in one listing.  I'm sure that if it is necessary at all,  having it in there just once would work.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

As an addition to what @pjcdn2005 told you, using "NA" instead of leaving eBay RECOMMENDED Item Specifics that don't apply blank is the proper approach.

In my Category there are dozens of "recommended" Item Specifics, I fill in a few of them that actually relate to the item I am selling and leave the rest blank, you only need to fill in the IS that are shown as "required".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Recommended item specifics is a very crude sledge hammer tool, and trying to get 100% completeness is very difficult and adds a lot of overhead so you may wish to think about if your time is better used elsewhere.

I can see wanting to do as much as possible in the brutally competitive card categories.  I just find the specifics try to cover many possibilities and options so many will not apply or are irrelevant.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I definitely agree the Item Specifics reminders have been annoying since it started a few years back but as others have said I don't think it matters when you leave blanks. I don't know how much they help (or if we don't use them hinder) people finding us. I use sell similar which helps pick up a lot of the repeat info but there are many, many blanks.

I don't have a lot of experience with action figures (I typically sell vintage Barbies) but last fall my brother gave me a big box full of his 80's action figures with a "I don't know if these are worth anything, they're pretty banged up". Well I knew absolutely nothing about 80's boys toys aside from regognizing some GI Joes and Masters of the Universe but some online searching helped me match some  weapons to the figures and identify some of the characters but I put very little in for Item Specifics (even less than my usual stuff) but let me tell you people had no trouble finding them, I did auctions and many were bid way beyond what I would have thought and all found with very little in terms of item specifics. I think your heading is what gets you noticed first. I had a few lots of mixed items and weapons I couldn't identify, there was mix of Hasbro, Mattel and many unknowns, impossible to identfiy specifics for in a large mixed lot and it was one of the most successful auctions. Collectors and people trying to recapture their youth (that's what brought me here!) are going to find it without all the specifics.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I definitely agree the Item Specifics reminders have been annoying since it started a few years back but as others have said I don't think it matters when you leave blanks. I don't know how much they help (or if we don't use them hinder) people finding us. I use sell similar which helps pick up a lot of the repeat info but there are many, many blanks.

I don't have a lot of experience with action figures (I typically sell vintage Barbies) but last fall my brother gave me a big box full of his 80's action figures with a "I don't know if these are worth anything, they're pretty banged up". Well I knew absolutely nothing about 80's boys toys aside from regognizing some GI Joes and Masters of the Universe but some online searching helped me match some  weapons to the figures and identify some of the characters but I put very little in for Item Specifics (even less than my usual stuff) but let me tell you people had no trouble finding them, I did auctions and many were bid way beyond what I would have thought and all found with very little in terms of item specifics. I think your heading is what gets you noticed first. I had a few lots of mixed items and weapons I couldn't identify, there was mix of Hasbro, Mattel and many unknowns, impossible to identfiy specifics for in a large mixed lot and it was one of the most successful auctions. Collectors and people trying to recapture their youth (that's what brought me here!) are going to find it without all the specifics.

@wecango88 

@msau4301 

@byto253 

Going forward even the category you choose has become irrelevant. All you have to do is click on a category, any category and see the other totally unrelated items that pop up. You could say close enough is now acceptable. I'm finding many categories I used to use religiously are nowhere to be found. (Mostly on ca but are still available on dot com.) Others have been merged in some unserendipitously haphazard  dogs breakfast kind of way. Unsure how bad this is between all eBay sites but I guess we can only imagine. It has definitely made it harder to find when you are looking for, pardon the pun "specific" on eBay.

In my years on eBay I have never seen 1 to 1. It should still be about describing an item accurately vs a collection of irrelevant item specifics.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1688223622743.png

-Lotz

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I disagree that selecting the correct Catagory is not important.

Two reasons, the most important is that when doing searches eBay will often force your search to specific Categories, for experienced buyers it's less of a problem because buyers can change eBay's directed search to All Categories but for those not paying attention your search could be directed to a specific Category and if the item is in a different Category they will never see it.

Second reason is that there are still browser buyers who go to specific Categories, sort by price and skim through pages of listings, if you are in the wrong Category your listings will be invisible.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@recped wrote:

I disagree that selecting the correct Catagory is not important.

Two reasons, the most important is that when doing searches eBay will often force your search to specific Categories, for experienced buyers it's less of a problem because buyers can change eBay's directed search to All Categories but for those not paying attention your search could be directed to a specific Category and if the item is in a different Category they will never see it.

Second reason is that there are still browser buyers who go to specific Categories, sort by price and skim through pages of listings, if you are in the wrong Category your listings will be invisible.

@recped 

All well and good EXCEPT many categories have been totally removed forcing sellers to use the dreaded "well it's kinda close" category. Even when you put in a title often what is suggested is not even relative. The correct category is extremely important.

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 9 of 9
latest reply