Buyer purchases, but asks to text before paying?

I have had 2 buyers recently that ha e purchased and item, but messaged through eBay to text them first.
The first said they had questions about the item before paying, so to text them so they can have them answered.
I responded back immediately and said I would be happy to answer questions through eBay (I prefer not to text people I don't know).
I have since messaged them a few more times saying I can answer their questions through eBay, and still no reply.

The 2nd told me to text them to discuss payment and shipping (which can all be done through eBay without even messaging?)
I told them as well, I can answer their questions through eBay, and they also have not responded.

Does this happen often or just a coincidence? Are they messing with me? Not sure what to do...
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer purchases, but asks to text before paying?

New sellers to eBay are a target for scammers and especially so with higher value items. Anytime you are dealing with "buyers" who insist on texting, that should immediately send up a red flag.. "to text them to discuss payment and shipping" is also a red flag in that eBay is already set up for methods of payment and shipping is already set out in your listing so no need for any "discussions"....questions possible but not "discussions".  If the "buyers" do not want to communicate via eBay messaging, best move is to cancel the transactions and block these persons. Set your fixed price format listings for "Immediate Payment Required", that way buyers cannot purchase without making payment.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

... you're being scammed or an attempt is being made for you to be scammed.

Reply to your Buyers using ONLY the eBay message system, if they do not reply, you have all the information you need...

You can also report the Buyer, but heed the...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

There is a very very high chance that you're either being scammed, or they want to arrange to pay for the item off eBay and have you discount the fees while cancelling the order on eBay. 

Either situation is not something you should do.

They may try to send you a spoof Paypal invoice so that you think the item has been paid for. Or, they may try to ask you to ship to a different address via text message. If you do not ship to the address at checkout, you will not be covered. They can then open an INR case and get the item for free.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

New sellers to eBay are a target for scammers and especially so with higher value items. Anytime you are dealing with "buyers" who insist on texting, that should immediately send up a red flag.. "to text them to discuss payment and shipping" is also a red flag in that eBay is already set up for methods of payment and shipping is already set out in your listing so no need for any "discussions"....questions possible but not "discussions".  If the "buyers" do not want to communicate via eBay messaging, best move is to cancel the transactions and block these persons. Set your fixed price format listings for "Immediate Payment Required", that way buyers cannot purchase without making payment.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Good to know, I was afraid of something like that 😔
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

text

RED Flags.jpg

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Are you using Flat Rate Shipping to Canada?

If you have your items in hand, you would do better to list them with Calculated Shipping which is more accurate. You will not cheat yourself by undercharging, nor overcharge nearby customers.

You may also find it easier to use the business/advanced selling form which has more options and is clearer than the (over)simplified form.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If this is case 1. How do you report the fraudulent buyer? 2. How do you cancel the order as no corresponding reason in dropdown box? 3. How do you relist the item for sale?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

1. Report a buyer: Manage all orders>>>go to that transaction/order>>>View order details>>"Report buyer"

2. cancel a sale: >>>use the best reason/most appropriate/closest to the problem and if all else fails use the reason regarding "problem with buyer's address"

3. Relist: Manage all orders>>>go to the sold item/order, click on "view order details ">>"Relist"

Message 10 of 10
latest reply