Can I list the exact same item (not "another", similar one) on .ca AND on .com?

If the answer is yes....how do I do it?

And what do I do when it sells.....on the "other" site?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

it is still classed as a "duplicate" listing and will not be allowed...

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

The one item will be visible on both sites.

Put it on the site most likely to be the one that buyers will come from, so if you think US folks will be most interested list it in US$ on .com, otherwise list it in C$ on .ca

This is how I've generally listed my 4000+ items

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

An unnecessary complication. List in .com - 10 times more customers + iternational, who come to .com. I list 3.000 items now, no one is listed on .ca. BTW, the listing will be seen on both, .com and .ca., anyway.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I listed on .COM & .CA both for many many years...never found there to be any significant difference as to the value of one over the other...10 x's more customers means nothing  and unless buyers are interested in a specific item, most buyers do a search and have their own criteria as to whether or not they will purchase & from where.......Successful selling is about the product; its uniqueness, quality, price points,supply & demand, target market,etc....

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

You can, by specifying US only for the ship to location on .com.  On .ca be sure to exclude the US as a ship to location.

But then be on your toes for when sells so that you immediately end the listing on the other site.

Whether it is worth the dance is up to you, but this is how to do it. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

An unnecessary complication. List in .com - 10 times more customers + iternational, who come to .com. I list 3.000 items now, no one is listed on .ca. BTW, the listing will be seen on both, .com and .ca., anyway.  

If it ships to the US it makes no difference at all which site it will be on.

The only difference is if you (fake) an item location as being in the US, that way you will evade the US Only filter that some buyers use, Downside to that is if you actually ship from Canada and it takes more than the delivery time in the listing (based in  US to US shipping) your customers may not appreciate your efforts.

Some Canadian buyers will be discouraged if buying from a Canadian based seller they still have to pay the exchange rate to convert to US Dollars. Of course if you also need to spend Canadian Dollars rather than US Dollars then you would also be paying currency exchange fees.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

As long as you have shipping to both Canada and the US your listing will be seen on both sites.  Is there a particular reason you wanted to list it separately on each site?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@recped wrote:

If it ships to the US it makes no difference at all which site it will be on.

The only difference is if you (fake) an item location as being in the US, that way you will evade the US Only filter that some buyers use, Downside to that is if you actually ship from Canada and it takes more than the delivery time in the listing (based in  US to US shipping) your customers may not appreciate your efforts

I also wonder what might happen with the IRS now getting more eBay data. Will they try to claim that sellers who list the item locations as being in the States are illegally conducting business in the States? I'm not sure exactly what the laws say, but I wouldn't put it past them either way.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The IRS gets ZERO data from eBay about sellers that are registered in Canada.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If your listing shows a delivery cost for shipping to a country, the listing will show up in Search in that country's site in the currency of the country.

EG - If you list something for $10 on dotCA , with shipping to Canada, USA , Germany, and the UK, it will show on dotCA as $10, on dotCOM as $7.50, on dotDE as €6,90 and on dotUK as £6.00.

Your name and location* will also show in Search.

When the customer clicks on your item, the same information will appear but also the value in loonies.

*Actually the location of the item, not your personal location. Be very careful about that, because : import fees.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

If your listing shows a delivery cost for shipping to a country, the listing will show up in Search in that country's site in the currency of the country.

It's not that simple really. What you state is definitely true for a .ca listing viewed on .com but for other eBay sites such as .uk or .de the listing would most often show up in the "also available from International Sellers" section which generally requires a LOT of scrolling to get to.

If a search returns only a small number of matches then it may show in the first section but in many/most situation it won't.

It's different for .ca/.com because the default is to show these all in the regular search results instead of being tacked on to the end in the International section.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply