Can you use Canada Post postage stamps even on small packets and tracked packets?

Hi all, 

I'm curious as to whether or not Canada Post accepts postage stamps to be used on small packets and tracked packets. I have postage stamps which I'd like to use.

I did call Canada Post but the answer the agent provided me on the phone didn't sound so confident. He told me that I could even go to Canada Post to switch up my postage stamps to cash or higher denominated-value stamps which I didn't think could be possible.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can you use Canada Post postage stamps even on small packets and tracked packets?

There is no problem with using stamps of the Dominion of Canada (or of the colony of Newfoundland) to pay for any service of Canada Post.

Is placing stamps on the back-side of the bubble envelope or the side of the box acceptable

It depends on the clerk.

The clerks I deal with don't like to have stamps on the back of the envelope, but I have had some accept them that way. MAILED WITH STAMPS 1.jpeg

Usually what I do if I need to use a lot of stamps and the package is small, is overlap the stamps so that the value shows.

I do make a note of the total value of the stamps I have used to save the clerk from having to add them up.

Remember to leave enough room for the customs form, the barcode and the other label they have to attach.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Yes.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Oh that's amazing! Is placing stamps on the back-side of the bubble envelope or the side of the box acceptable as well if I run out of space on the front? 😅

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

There is no problem with using stamps of the Dominion of Canada (or of the colony of Newfoundland) to pay for any service of Canada Post.

Is placing stamps on the back-side of the bubble envelope or the side of the box acceptable

It depends on the clerk.

The clerks I deal with don't like to have stamps on the back of the envelope, but I have had some accept them that way. MAILED WITH STAMPS 1.jpeg

Usually what I do if I need to use a lot of stamps and the package is small, is overlap the stamps so that the value shows.

I do make a note of the total value of the stamps I have used to save the clerk from having to add them up.

Remember to leave enough room for the customs form, the barcode and the other label they have to attach.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

It depends on the clerk.

What is ok, not ok, varies by clerk. Our new PM insists I must not overlap stamps AT ALL but it is ok to place some on the back if there's not room available on the address side. Go figure.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the reply! If I do overlap the stamps, I'll be sure I don't overlap half of each stamp but rather the borders so they can be confident that the stamps haven't been reused. 

With the clerks that don't like stamps on the back of the envelope, don't they have to accept it anyways since the stamps have been placed on there? The stamps have already been stuck on the envelope and cannot be removed. 😂

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

There is a special sticker for stamps on the back kinda situation, it is white with red writing that says "Flip over" and "Voir au verso". 

Its CP code of the sticker is: 40-076-685 (07-05)

Note that ALL of the US small packets I mail have the PO pouch on one side and stamps on the back, I've been doing this for years.

Many PM's probably don't even know about the stickers, I know that when my latest PM was being trained her "expert" trainer told her to throw out (my!!!) labels because nobody ever uses them! They can look them up via the code above.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply