Canadian sellers listing in US $ and applying exchange rate to shipping within Canada: legal?

smy_2423
Community Member
Just wondering if anyone can verify if it’s legal for a Canadian seller, listing in US $$, to apply the exchange rate to shipping and taxes within Canada?
I.e: I recently purchased something thinking it was a US seller, but it was another Canadian.
The exchange rate was applied to the total, including shipping and taxes, on a sale that occurred within Canada. I don’t see how that’s legal.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Canadian sellers listing in US $ and applying exchange rate to shipping within Canada: legal?

I live in Canada and list on .com.  When listed on .com everything is in US $ and will be converted to Canadian $ with an exchange rate that includes shipping and taxes.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Of course it's "legal", when you buy an item that is listed on .com in US Dollars you pay in US Dollars for the Item, the Shipping and the Taxes.

It's exactly the same for a US buyer who purchases a listing on .ca in CA Dollars.

Only way to avoid it is to hold US Dollars in your PayPal account or have a US Dollar credit card or of course restrict your buying to CAD listings on .ca

Even when it was possible to list on .ca in either CAD or USD, any shipping, taxes are always in the currency of the listing, there is no comingling of currencies.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

It is not the seller that does it, the exchange is automatically converted to US$.   I mainly list on .com in US$ and all transaction funds are in US$.

When you sell you have to choose when you register to sell in either US$ or CDN$, there is only one opportunity to do that and it cannot be undone.   i.e. I cannot swap between currencies or have 1 listing in $US and another in $CDN - it is all or nothing.

If a seller that has chosen US$  lists on .ca it has to be in CDN$, and in that case all buyers pay in CDN$, but it gets converted and paid out to the seller in US$.   

So this is not something a seller is doing to you, it is the way the system is set up.   

Message 4 of 4
latest reply