Ebay Canada just pulled the plug on FVF Promotion

33nhl
Community Member
Hello every one.
I just got email from Ebay Canada that they are pulling the plug early on August 16 instead of as it was until September 30. The final value fees promotion they had.
I guess it's a money issue so they are pulling the promotion, this says alot.
Time for us sellers to start thinking outside of the box and sell elsewhere like Facebook Market Place it's free and no fees.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@33nhl wrote:
Hello every one.
I just got email from Ebay Canada that they are pulling the plug early on August 16 instead of as it was until September 30. The final value fees promotion they had.
Time for us sellers to start thinking outside of the box and sell elsewhere like Facebook Market Place it's free and no fees.

@33nhl 

Which promotion does this relate to? I haven't seen any sort of promotion from eBay in months. As for ending a promotion in the middle sounds a little "hinky"!!!

-Lotz

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@lotzofuniquegoodies,  I'm guessing that @33nhl is referring to the promotion discussed in this thread:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Trading-cards-FVF-promo/m-p/491742

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

We had a 9.5% FVF promo in the trading cards category. It was since march and supposed to end at the end of september. And they randomly just informed sellers they end it 6 weeks earlier. Very frustrating. 

https://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2023/0308/fvf.html?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=0&mkcid=27&bu=45159115387&osub=...

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

We had a 9.5% FVF promo in the trading cards category. It was since march and supposed to end at the end of september. And they randomly just informed sellers they end it 6 weeks earlier. Very frustrating. 

https://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2023/0308/fvf.html?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=0&mkcid=27&bu=45159115387&osub=...

@rocketscollectibles 

I list in that category but may not have enough listings to warrant the offer. My personal opinion would be when they (eBay) choose to end a program/offer/feature etc they should be more upfront on their reasoning. Compensation? Who knows? It's very likely the sellers that opted into that promotion did so because of it and targeted new listings accordingly.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@33nhl wrote:

Given all the pushing eBay's giving the Trading Cards category right now, my guess is that there's a promotion in the works on the .com site that will also take effect on .ca around the time that the new end date for the current .ca promotion kicks in.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

cards are over rated, over priced, pushed ahead & over-promoted by eBay to begin with ...just like sneakers...just like all that made in China junk...

time for some equality on this site whereby ALL categories get some attention!

and any sellers who think eBay is the only selling site really do need to "start thinking outside of the box and sell elsewhere"...."all your eggs in one basket" type of selling,  has never been a good idea...

I have been selling on other sites for nearly 20 years....

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

cards are over rated, over priced, pushed ahead & over-promoted by eBay to begin with

Trading cards market represents hundreds of millions in sales each year. This is probably in the most lucrative categories for them. So much that eBay aquiered the TCGplayer trading cards selling platform for $295millions US a few months ago. Really overrated. Totally worthless. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

eBay is well known to throw money at ridiculous ventures that end up getting dumped because eBay has no management skills and that has been proven over and over and over...

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

eBay is net worth 23.35 billions US right now. I wish i had no skills as eBay to make profit.  

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

ah yes , well as long as you are happy with eBay's ability to be a greedy corporation with no consideration in how it attains those funds that eBay happily spends on everything other than needed fixes and upgrades to the eBay selling site and the very fact that eBay.CA is disregarded and tossed aside like a meaningless uesless side branch, shows that eBay should never have gone beyond its initial .COM site. which is just another example of the same old greed minded mismanagement.

In recent years most promotions put forth by eBay have been at best ridiculously biased towards specific categories and hopefully such promotions are gone forever...good to see the end of this one too.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

ah yes , well as long as you are happy with eBay's ability to be a greedy corporation with no consideration in how it attains those funds that eBay happily spends on everything other than needed fixes and upgrades to the eBay selling site.

@mrdutch1001 

The biggest challenge with eBay over the last while has been a bit of a combination of the following. Figuring out what does or doesn't work. Something may work yesterday won't work tomorrow. Same goes for feature/tools. It may be there today...but gone or "trimmed/exploded" tomorrow. (I've never considered removing stuff an improvement but that's my 2 cents Canadian.) Throw the 2 together and how things work in conjunction of eachother and it's become a major game of whackamole for both sellers and buyers. I understand all about learning curves but I thought the idea was to make things easier. Not more difficult.

And how about tools that become available on com but then take forever to showup on ca. Where is levelling the playing field from that perspective?

-Lotz

Point to ponder: Does whackamole equal subterfuge? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Point to ponder: Does whackamole equal subterfuge? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

Dunno. But whenever I see "whackamole", I've trained my auto-correct to substitute "workaround." 😎

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

eBay is net worth 23.35 billions US right now. I wish i had no skills as eBay to make profit.  

@rocketscollectibles 

Is there a split anywhere breaking down what % of that total is large vs smaller sellers?

-Lotz

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

"And how about tools that become available on com but then take forever to showup on ca. Where is levelling the playing field from that perspective?"

Totally agree!  when it comes to .COM vs .CA, there is no comparison, there is no level playing field ..... it's like .CA is not worth the bother and not worth the effort to maintain...developing a .CA site was, is, has been a huge eBay mistake...

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Thread deviating. All that has nothing to do with the topic, which is the non-respect of timeline of the promo in the trading cards category. It's getting totally off-topic. Just because one user enjoy seeing others losing their privileges.  

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

an aborted promo IS NOT "losing their privleges" ...It is a privege to list cards on eBay just as it is a privilege to list items in other categories...Listing cards on eBay will continue with or without a promo just as it does for all other categories. There are no guarantees on this site, just as there are no guarantees that eBay will keep its word on ANYTHING it says in any kind of verbage, in print or otherwise...

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

The promo was indeed a privilege. 

Privilege: a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

Hope you find piece in your mind instead of always randomly looking to argue and **bleep** on others. Like, you go as far as playing on words. If you're not interested in talking about the actual topics, you're not forced to polute people threads. You always do. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

a good argument is better than some of the rants you've been known  to "bleep" on others...

and I do hope your feel of/need for/a sense of "entitlement" gives you peace of mind ...

keep on a keepin' on!

Que sera sera! C'est la vie!

have a great weekend!

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Argument on what, you been off topic and saying non-sense stuff every single comment. This topic wasn't a debate. Your first comment was basically to say trading cards sellers deserved to lose their promo. You're just always toxic and looking for trouble. 

The only peace of mind i could have when coming on boards would be from having the ability to block and hide you. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply