Ebay scamming me final value fee on the taxes they stole

I sold an item for 175 and they scammed an extra 25$ from the buyers and they are taking final value fee on the tax they stole then charging me tax on top of that. talk about double jeopardy and just ripping people off!!

2021094.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The Managed Payment fee of 12.9%  is based on the buyer's entire payment, which is made up of

• your selling price,
  • the amount you charged your customer for shipping,
  • the amount of sales tax in the buyer's location (which you do not pay, but which passes through the invoice)
  • and a 30c non-refundable processing fee.

12,9% of $175 is $22.57

Processing fee is 30c

If your customer lives in Alberta, eBay collected $8.75 in GST. Other locations would have different sales taxes. The buyer pays this tax not the seller.

The GST is a Goods and Services tax. In this case the services were selling you advertising space and processing the payment.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Four months ago, you complained about this in relation to sales to US buyers. Where were you when it was announced around that time that eBay Canada would be required by the feds to collect and remit taxes on Canadian sales?

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Final-value-fee-for-Canadian-is-calculated-including-tax...

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Canadian-Sales-Tax/bd-p/CA_sales_tax

These boards aren’t just places to rant and run. They’re good sources of useful information and that information is often presented in a more user-friendly way than how eBay staffers do it. If you haven’t read the responses to your post on the US thread and some of the posts on the Canadian Sales Tax discussion boards, I suggest you do so. The information is going to be very beneficial to your eBay selling.

Unless you plan to quit selling on this site, of course.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It helps to understand the workings of a site, the fees, taxes and payment processes BEFORE presenting a complaint in these forums, especially a complaint based on falsehoods....it's obvious you have no understanding of any of those processes...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

mrdutch1001 typical ebay bootlicker response.

Listen. If I as a private individual buy something for 100 and sell it used for 60 dollars later. That is NOT INCOME. So why should I have to pay taxes on something that is NOT income?

Whatever mental gymnastics you do to justify it, putting taxes on occasional, non-business activities, where the seller is not making a profit but rather recouping a portion of the original purchase price is unjust.

It's super simple and the law is being interpreted in a way that does not work to protect private sellers, or buyers at all.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

some folks simply don't understand Canadian taxation laws/Marketplace facillitator requirements for collecting taxes.

And No it doesn't matter whether you are an individual or a business...taxation is what it is and IF you choose to list (as a seller) and/or purchase items(as a buyer) on Marketplace facillitator sites like eBay, those taxation requirements apply. That's the LAW!

However, the choice is there, the choice is YOURS...continue to sell/buy on these sites and pay the required taxes or list/sell/purchase items LOCALLY where the taxation isn't applied.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Listen. If I as a private individual buy something for 100 and sell it used for 60 dollars later. That is NOT INCOME. So why should I have to pay taxes on something that is NOT income?

I believe that the $60 is in fact income and should be declared as such. BUT, when it comes time to do your yearly taxes, the $40 loss you endured on the sale should be able to be used in your favour, tax wise. 

Very few, if any "bootlickers" in here.  Just a lot of eBay sellers with many many years of experience who volunteer their own time in helping other sellers whenever possible.  Peace.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

you have very little to whine about that sale i think you got good valve for what you sold  most of my sales are in the 26% and up  not including promo fees  value of item 26 %  30 with promo pushed in going to ebay so your sale seems like a steal to me 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@dobo5250 wrote:

you have very little to whine about that sale i think you got good valve for what you sold  most of my sales are in the 26% and up  not including promo fees  value of item 26 %  30 with promo pushed in going to ebay so your sale seems like a steal to me 

Keep in mind that the OP posted almost two years ago.  I don't believe promoted listings were a thing then.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply