First Negative feedback in 18 years over shipping cost

I sold an iPhone 12 mini case, brand new. This case still retails for $79 (before tax) from Apple. The buyer paid a total of $55.72 ($19.32 includes for shipping). The shipping cost was listed in the listing, so they knew what it cost going in. Also, I paid $17.31 for shipping (this does not include packaging materials or gas going to the post office). 

So I check my account today, and I noticed I got negative feedback from the buyer with this comment "$20 for shipping something that could've been sent lettermail lol. greedy." For the record, that was the cheapest cost I could find for shipping; besides, it was not like I was pocketing a huge profit; if anything, I lost with shipping.

This buyer never contacted me at all about shipping costs or anything. They knew how much it was going to cost even before purchasing the item. Even for argument's sake, if they did not know the shipping cost, they should have contacted me first before leaving the negative feedback. Also, their feedback was false since they paid $19.32 for shipping, and they claimed it was $20.

I have contacted the buyer about this but have not heard back yet. What are my options for getting this corrected? I have no way of proving this, but I think they are just doing this so they can get a full refund and get to keep the item since feedback can now be revised.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: First Negative feedback in 18 years over shipping cost

If I recall, the delay before leaving negative feedback is only for 'top rated sellers'. You not being a top rated seller doesn't mean you're a bad seller. Only that you're not selling enough volume to qualify. 

It is unfortunate that you jumped the gun and refunded the buyer for something that wasn't your fault, but chalk it up to a learning experience. You now know how to get negative feedback that violates eBay's policy removed.

Nobody likes getting negative feedback, and if it qualifies for removal, it's positive to have it removed. With that said, negative feedback isn't the end of the world. Most buyers don't read feedback, and you can also turn a negative into something that might look like positive to someone reading it by replying in a polite and helpful manner. Feedback is just a marketing portion of eBay. eBay does not evaluate sellers based on their feedback. 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

I misread, and thought eBay removed it for you. 

Whether or not it was the buyer's intention to extort you, it sucks that you basically had to pay to get the feedback revised. I'd also argue that the current comment is worse than the original one, because the original one made it clear the buyer was unreasonable, while this one makes it sounds like you actually made a mistake without being clear about what you did wrong.

Almost no buyers read feedback anyways, so it's not a big deal, just a bad situation for you as a seller. Nothing wrong with refunding if it was your mistake, but that wasn't really the case here.

Look on the bright side, judging by how long it took you to have to deal with this, you can rest easy that it won't happen again for another 18 years. 🤞

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Yea looks way worse now lol The gall on some buyers eh?  Willing to make amends?  Dude, you knew the shipping cost before you bought it. Like how dumb can people be lol 

This is why I found the eBay blacklist online and blocked every buyer on the list.  Pro Tip

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

In the feedback they were requested a service that it not possible according to Canada Post Standard Letter Mail cannot be over 5mm thick or 50 grams.

I agree that if they were unhappy with the shipping cost they should not have purchased the item.  But in the future you might want to consider using oversize lettermail within Canada for lower cost items.   The max depth for oversize is 20mm.  You are allowed to use that service for goods but only within Canada

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

What did you get out of using parcel post instead of lettermail besides having more in FVF to pay?

Tracking.

Tracking is a Seller Protection.

Small Packet USA is not tracked - but sometimes it appears to be.

Tracked Packet is tracked.

I think all the other parcel services are tracked.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Canada Post Standard Letter Mail cannot be over 5mm thick or 50 grams.

2cm /20mm or 500 grams actually.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I was about to leave positive feedback to a seller that I purchased something from, and I noticed that it says, "You need to wait 7 days before you can leave neutral or negative feedback for this seller."

It's a perk for Top Rated Sellers, I think.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

The content of the current feedback is worse but at least it's a green. Most buyers don't read positive feedback so... 😅
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

That was pretty mealy feedack that was left.   Best to just leave it, but I am like Red in Seabiscuit at time "He Fouled Me"  and would like to respond to clarify the situation - which would likely be worse.

He Fouled Me!!!! 

Message 29 of 29
latest reply