Funds on Hold

I have over 500 transactions (100% positive feedback) and have been on Ebay for many

yeras.  I registered for managed payments and have had several sales since then.  My funds

have usually arrived in my bank within 5 days.  A recent sale (last week) was sent with tracking and

is almost at the customer's destination.  Ebay has advised me that the funds for this transaction are

on hold.  I called Ebay and have been advised that I have to make another 25 sales and wait until the

item is delivered to the buyer before my funds will be released. After completing the 25 sales I can then

expect my funds to be released, once again, within 5 days.  Has anyone else heard of this ?  Is this a new

Ebay policy ?    Am I being penalized for some reason ?  Needless to say I am not pleased !

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Funds on Hold

@15westcoast wrote:

Yep, I guess I am a "casual seller" like hundreds of others who are being

categorized and penalized.

Is it written anywhere in stone what that window is? How about someone who needs to shut down for a month because of travel or family emergency? In eBay's eyes... eBay Non-Grata?

-Lotz

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I do have to say there's part of me that wonders how some of these casual sellers would have been able to function in the days when snail-mailed payments were part of the eBay ecosystem. It wouldn't have been unusual for a payment mailed from outside of Canada to take three weeks to reach us back then. Yes, the seller would still have the item, but having the item on a shelf doesn't put bread on the table.

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

In recently helping a new seller along their merry way (4-5 months). Closing in 100 listings and 20 sales. Their items are not super high in value. Anything listed in a category they have listed in a number of times shows up relatively fast. Anything in new category can take up to 48 hours to show. Because their sales have been "picking up"...still waves but more consistent than when they first started listing payments process as per their schedule. As for bump in listings that took a couple of months with a request. Since then it was bumped automagically(twice) by eBay to 320 without a store. So anything over would ebay limits would have have the fee attached.

-Lotz

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

Yes same problem here over 17 years selling on ebay. Never an issue. 100% +ve. Ebay chat help says, thank you for your loyalty while they keep your money. I asked if they pay interest while they have my money. Hahah
Bye ebay !
Message 24 of 43
latest reply

been there, done that... after not listing on eBay for 6+ months during 2021, have had to start all over...the payment holds were only for the first couple of sales and then all was good. The startup low listing limit of 10 was a a big slap in the face, but quickly got that increased and thereafter the listing limits were increased each month and am now nearly back up to where I was prior to taking my leave of absence..

It's all doable, but it does take PATIENCE!

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

@15westcoast wrote:

If this has happened to you --time to speak up !!!!

Would be nice to know what is the official definition of going on "hiatus" to get the associated "being considered a new seller" status. Just for one's own personal peace of mind. eBay's discretion...written in stone...luck of the draw??

-Lotz

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

agree!

well, it's definitely anything  6 months or over and possibly could be less such as 90 days...

do we have anyone out there that has had the experience of an absence of less than 6 months?

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

It's weird I have 1 payment on hold from March 11 but similar items sold since then had the payments processed and released into available funds the next day. It's almost as if it was just a random hold on 1 item payment, since all payments prior to this hold and after were all processed and completed. I initially thought it was because they only had a couple feedback but that thought went out the window when someone joined April 1, 2022 and made a purchase that same day and their payment was processed next day into available funds. This new buyer even had me ship to a bar/restaurant address.

So I'm confused as to why this one payment was put on hold and still on hold.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

Managed payments is just another name for **bleep** and slowwwwww service .
If you get paid mid week , you will have your funds in 1 week because of the weekend …. Slowest service ever … and we are in the year of 2022 .
Feels like 1990 all over again
Message 29 of 43
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I do have to say there's part of me that wonders how some of these casual sellers would have been able to function in the days when snail-mailed payments were part of the eBay ecosystem. It wouldn't have been unusual for a payment mailed from outside of Canada to take three weeks to reach us back then. Yes, the seller would still have the item, but having the item on a shelf doesn't put bread on the table.

More as tongue in cheek but next time i go to store that shop at infrequently I will see if they are okay with paying them down the road, at my convenience. Hey, worth a shot!!! And if I am not happy with the transaction I will just reverse the payment and hold onto it until it works for me.

Sellers just want to get paid!! Cyndi Lauper version!!

-Lotz

Message 30 of 43
latest reply

Nothing slow about it...Payments are sent by eBay to your bank account via whatever pay schedule you set up: daily, weekly, bi-weekly,monthly...

I have not had any issues getting my payments on whatever schedule I have tried(have never needed or used daily), but have tried weekly, bi-weekly and now monthly because as an infrequent/occasional seller that is a sufficient payout schedule for me most of the time..(I have no need for the sales funds as income--this is all just extra monies to spend on whatever and whenever I so choose )

IF you want instant money, sell LOCALLY!

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

I sold an item on ebay and fund were put on hold till delivery when it was delivered it was put on till bank info was updated then on hold for microdeposits then put on hold for verify email now put on hold for security reasons not sure ebay want to part with my money this is the last thing I sell here. All seller should run from ebay and watch how fast it sinks not to mention the high seller fees and buyer pays taxes and seller pays taxes and it seems to go to ebay
Message 32 of 43
latest reply

there is this thing called P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E! .....and there is this User Agreement that you agree to abide by as a seller on eBay = eBay's rules and polices ....and if you  can't get your mindset on any of that then I guess it's Bye Bye!

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

My shipment is confirmed as bring received and the buyer has provided positive feedback, yet my funds are still on hold. eBay is holding my funds hostage.... I will never list an item with eBay again!!!
Message 34 of 43
latest reply

an infrequent/occasional seller/a seller returning after a lengthy absence and listing/selling a $1300 item - that gives eBay the right to hold funds!...

no patience... perhaps selling online is not for you...

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

Keep in mind that the buyer has 30 days after he receives it to file a claim with ebay so that is probably why they are holding your funds. 

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

What does eBay have to do with this anymore. The item is confirmed received with postal service tracking and the buyer has had the item for a couple of days with positive feedback given.
So what's the justification to hold my funds?
The comments about having patience or that online selling may not be for me is just ignorant and irrelevant.
Message 37 of 43
latest reply

As the seller, I am also the client. To impose terms and hold my funds hostage for goods that have been confined received by the buyer is B.S any way you look at it. Lesson learned,
I have canceled my other listing and will not be selling on eBay in the future. Was much better in the past with PayPal.
Message 38 of 43
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM SEPTEMBER 2021.

The problem with zombie threads is that often the advice is out of date or no longer correct.

the most recent post is from a member who has not bought or sold anything in over a year.

And the item was not only over $1300, but also in a high fraud category.

I suspect it was flagged as a possibly hijacked account, although as several sellers have noted above, payments to occasional sellers are normally Held for up to a month as a Buyer Protection, which also protects the real account holder, who may be unaware of a problem.

Meanwhile.

@meridian72  Do you have a Managed Payments account set up to transfer your customer's payment to your bank.

You need a checking account in a Canadian bank and a secondary form of identification, like a passport or driving license.

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

I am not a merchant and only sell occasionally. However, yes I do have an eBay verified bank account. This is just eBay's was to increase its equity by holding their clients money as long as possible for gain. This hurts individuals who simply want to sell personal items especially to help with monthly living expenses.
Message 40 of 43
latest reply