Are you noticing significant CPU and memory requirements from eBay and here lately?

The eBay screens and this board are consistently maxing out my CPU to 100% and memory to almost 100%. Generally for a short time but it is enough to cause problems, and everything is extra extra slow to accomplish if I can.

I'm asking because my troubleshooting has identified:

-it is affecting both my machines (windows 10)

-is is consistent in both Chrome and Edge

-multiple windows open make it worse, although 1 tab will cause it on its own

-other sites do not have the same results, it appears to be only the eBay site and this board that are affected at least in my trials so far. (addendum, some other sites are affected, I tested more and some other similar sites are similarly affected).

I did clear cache in Chrome, but I've never really used edge so there shouldn't be any problem there, and the contingency machine doesn't generally have any eBay usage.

This started a week or two ago, I was blaming the age of my main machine but now that I've seen it on the contingency machine and only? eBay and these boards, it makes me wonder.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Are you noticing significant CPU and memory requirements from eBay and here lately?

I tested more sites and some other sites exhibit the same problem.

Originally I blamed an update to Chrome, but when Edge shows the same results I thought that it couldn't be only Chrome based.

So I'm back to hmmmmm stage again.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

The eBay screens and this board are consistently maxing out my CPU to 100% and memory to almost 100%. Generally for a short time but it is enough to cause problems, and everything is extra extra slow to accomplish if I can.

I'm asking because my troubleshooting has identified:

-it is affecting both my machines (windows 10)

-is is consistent in both Chrome and Edge

-multiple windows open make it worse, although 1 tab will cause it on its own

-other sites do not have the same results, it appears to be only the eBay site and this board that are affected at least in my trials so far.

I did clear cache in Chrome, but I've never really used edge so there shouldn't be any problem there, and the contingency machine doesn't generally have any eBay usage.

This started a week or two ago, I was blaming the age of my main machine but now that I've seen it on the contingency machine and only? eBay and these boards, it makes me wonder.

@ricarmic 

Have been noticing the extra tabs issue for several months. When you click to move to a new screen it always opens a new window. Means going through every 15/20 mins and closing windows. In the past if you were working on a listing you could pin point it easy. Now you have to leave as your last window and hope for the best. You shouldn't need to clear cache and history daily if you are 1 to rely on it for research. It appears to be at it's worst if you leave for a time and then come back. Only solution is a browser shut down and restart. (Using Chrome)

-Lotz

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Hi @ricarmic 

I had a similar issue this month. You didn't mention "Disk Cleanup".

"Windows Wednesday" was brutal on May 10. for those unfamiliar with the term Microsoft has a major update on the 2nd Tuesday every month .  The update leaves behind a massive amount discarded files. When you boot up the next morning your system may be sluggish.

The files are easy to dispose of  using the windows tool "Disk Cleanup" you already have in your accessories.  When you open the tool be sure to check the box at the bottom "Clean Up System Files".  This will get rid of the unused junk left from the update.  Some folks have 3rd party software look after this. Depending on how much junk you have accumulated it can have a similar effect as not clearing your browser.  It can take a few minutes to run.

Worked for me this month. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Try opening "Resource Monitor" (you can find it with the Windows / Cortana search bar). Check to see what is using the CPU and make sure it really is the browser. Also check your disk and memory usage and make sure they're not maxed out. If it is the browser, try making sure you're running the latest browser version and disable addons.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@flipistics I have "task manager" running all the time so I can watch whats happening, it is for sure the Browser, all other apps are normal. 

I did check Chrome to make sure it was the latest version.

I have an app suite that "cleans things up" for me each month.

I got some support help and they had me turn off "System Hardware accelleration" and some other stuff, it might have helped a bit, but it hasn't totally fixed it. 

Since it is crossing machines, I think that it is a combo of more functionality being added a while ago and my aged machines noticing it more than a more modern machine would. My main computer is 5 years old, the contingency is 3 years old, and computer years are like dog years. I had planned to upgrade the main machine this summer, I might have to do it sooner, time will tell.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

@flipistics I have "task manager" running all the time so I can watch whats happening, it is for sure the Browser, all other apps are normal. 

I did check Chrome to make sure it was the latest version.

I have an app suite that "cleans things up" for me each month.

I got some support help and they had me turn off "System Hardware accelleration" and some other stuff, it might have helped a bit, but it hasn't totally fixed it. 

Since it is crossing machines, I think that it is a combo of more functionality being added a while ago and my aged machines noticing it more than a more modern machine would. My main computer is 5 years old, the contingency is 3 years old, and computer years are like dog years. I had planned to upgrade the main machine this summer, I might have to do it sooner, time will tell.

It could be, but my main computer is about 7 years old and still very strong (mind you, I've got good components in it along with 32 gig ram). I'm not really having any issues with about a billion tabs open, but maybe I've just gotten lucky on the A/B testing eBay seems to be running. The reason I suggested resource manager is both to check for CPU usage, but also memory and hard drive. If you're running out of RAM, the system is going to start thrashing and causing a lot of lag issues.

In Chrome you can try turning on memory saver (or turning it off if you are using it). It's under Settings -> Performance.

In Firefox you can go to about:unloads and see what the resource usage is per tab (at least for memory) or to about:processes to see memory and CPU usage. In Chrome you can go to More Tools -> Task Manager. It might be useful to make sure that's really where the problem lies.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@flipistics I'm not surprised you haven't noticed! My poor beastie only has 8 GB ram, so that appears to be close to what Chrome etc think they need now to "survive". At the time I got the 8 GB that was a good boost above the standard at the time, certainly doesn't do the trick now!

Am mustering up the energy to shop out the replacement machine, a job for tomorrow I think, I don't think there's any sense in putting anything more into this one, it'll become my morning "read the news" machine.....

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I've discovered a relatively recent article suggesting the minimum memory requirement to run Chrome now is 16 GB and they're suggesting 32 MB to be safe.

So this explains the problems I'm having with just 8 GB on both machines. I am surprised a bit that I only had 8 GB on the "new" one.

I'm 100% sure there was a Chrome update a month or so ago and my maxing out issues coincided with that, there must have been new functionality AKA memory requirements than previously.

I've so far figured out some "techniques" to allow me to at least function until the new machine gets here.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

My CPU is at 1% and I'm using 2.4 GB out of 16 GB. Obviously I'm on eBay right now.

I'm on Waterfox.

I just logged into eBay on a 2nd browser; Firefox.

My CPU is now at 3% utilization and I'm using 2.9 GB out of 16 GB; running both browsers logged into eBay.

That's a world of difference from what I've been reading... Time for a reset or clean install folks.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I haven't tried other browsers besides Chrome and Edge, but as a note, when I'm in many spots things are fine, it is generally when I'm in "my ebay", relisting etc that there's a short surge in CPU and memory requirements. I can have several tabs open with simple searches no problem.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

For those that like to know the end of the story, or what seems to be at this point....

I've had time to do some more thorough problem solving.

I had misunderstood some of the "signs" before.

Problem is only with one machine (this one), and on some types of screens both eBay and other sites, affecting both Chrome and Edge on this machine.

The part that mislead me before is that I believe I've got, what I recall back in my olden system days was called a memory leak. When I bring up a "problem" web page, it behaves like other screens but it "slowly" consumes memory until it runs out. Given I've only got 8 GB, I've got about a minute from the time I bring the screen up till it runs out of memory. With respect to eBay, it affects all the first level "subscreens" that I use below "my ebay". I've now learned how to "operate" my processes to get what I need from the screens below them before it runs out of memory. For example when I go to work on items ready for shipping as long as I bring up the screen below that level, memory stays fine so I can copy out the address, print item packing slips etc.

I'm not conversant enough in the current windows config to know what it is, but it's probably a broken DLL or registry entry type situation.

The contingency machine is strained but it tops out just below the critical level for memory, multiple tabs with "problem" screens will cause problems with it, but now that I understand the "heavy" screens and the memory limitations it is workable as contingency still.

This takes a bit of pressure off as I can currently run everything, a bit more onerously than before but given the age of this machine, it's still time to bring in a new one anyway without investing too much time or energy into this one. So I've got some breathing room shopping wise.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I've discovered a relatively recent article suggesting the minimum memory requirement to run Chrome now is 16 GB and they're suggesting 32 MB to be safe.

So this explains the problems I'm having with just 8 GB on both machines. I am surprised a bit that I only had 8 GB on the "new" one.

I'm 100% sure there was a Chrome update a month or so ago and my maxing out issues coincided with that, there must have been new functionality AKA memory requirements than previously.

I've so far figured out some "techniques" to allow me to at least function until the new machine gets here.

@ricarmic 

I believe the intended plan from eBay is that it will only run on iPhone 50 bare minimum. So much for my putski Commodore64. Lately it's been creeping along and I'm at 1200 baud!! Who knew this would be an issue??

-Lotz

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I've discovered that the way to fix your computer is to order the replacement one on it!

I did the ordering process on the problem machine, and noticed whilst I was doing that the usual Chrome problems were not as bad. By that evening everything was back to normal (not perfect of course but I can again have all tabs open, no memory leaks anymore)!

Of course it is simply a crazy coincidence of timing, but a pretty funny scenario. 

New machine doesn't arrive for a couple weeks so hopefully the "back to normal" state lasts till the new one gets here and up and running!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

If you are using an ad blocker and experiencing slowdowns when searching on eBay, try temporarily disabling you ad blocker, and see if that affects your resources or page loads.

There have been problems with some specific filters, which, when disabled can speed things up. The troublesome filters are the "Anti-Circumvention Filter" in Ad Block or the "ABP Filters" in Ad Block Plus, or similar.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

It is a very good suggestion, but I don't personally use ad blockers...

Message 16 of 16
latest reply