High Shipping Charges To Different Parts Of Ontario

Can someone explain how the shipping to different areas of Ontario can be so high? I just sent a heavy box weighing almost 2 kg to Hamilton Ont. for around $24.00. That seemed reasonable. But I also sent a very light package weighing 50 grams to Baden Ont. for around $23.00. That doesn't make any sense to me. Both were sent Expedited. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

The package to Baden was just a small bubble wrap envelope. I printed up the label online so have no receipt. And I don't think volumetric weight would apply to this.

A bit late to the party on this, but I ran a couple of 50 gram parcel shipments with different dimensions through the Canada Post website's rate calculator, and they had different shipping rates despite having the same cities of origin and destination.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@fh991586 

I'm sorry it looks like I am being as confusing as a postal clerk can be!

Yes the "maximum" weight for oversized lettermail in Canada is 500 grams.

(By this I mean the largest weight one can ship oversized lettermail is 500 grams, anything larger has to go as a parcel)

The "minimum" weight for Expedited and Expresspost in Canada is 750 grams.

(By this I mean anything sent Expedited or Expresspost under 750 grams counts as 750 grams unless the volumetric makes it larger. So a parcel of 50g counts as 750g, a parcel of 200g counts as 750g, a parcel of 700g counts as 750g etc. This is all around why something that is "small" costs the same as something that is a KG for example).

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@marnotom! 

Were any of the measurements enough to make the volumetric higher than 750g?

(it is LxWxH divided by 5,000 everything in CM)

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I still can't find where you got that statement of 750g minimum (or counting as 750gr)...  It just doesn't make any sense!

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@fh991586 

One has to be using the tables, remember I'm a stamps on the box kinda guy so I'm using the tables all the time.

The tables can be found here:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/postal-guide/business-parcels.pdf 

the first example is on page 4 upper left corner....

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for the link.

But you mean where it states "up to and including"?

It's really a threshold, not an equivalency, and there is no minimum there like you specified.  This was all a word misunderstanding, then...  We'd have cleared that up in seconds if we were talking in person! 😉

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@fh991586 

Yes exactly, meaning that everything up to 750g expedited, expresspost, priority counts as 750g in terms of pricing (unless it is larger because of volumetric measurements), so the "minimum" price you pay for anything expedited, expresspost, priority is the 750g rate (which helps clarify the answer to the OPs original question as to why something expedited 50g costs almost the same as something 2KG expedited - the first 750g is the most expensive).

Also exactly correct that in person this would have been very quickly cleared up, it was good to have the conversation though, it was likely confusing others too.....

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

@marnotom! 

Were any of the measurements enough to make the volumetric higher than 750g?

(it is LxWxH divided by 5,000 everything in CM)

Probably, but I don't remember the dimensions that I used, only that I doubled them the second time around. 

If the Canada Post website stated the volumetric weight equivalent, I would have paid more attention.  😁

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

In my many years working as a retail clerk I've never seen a parcel turned away by the computer for a minimum weight requirement.

Canada Post indicates the minimum weight for all parcel services is 50 g, but even if it was under that there's nothing stopping you from mailing it. I've definitely had people mail a single piece of paper in a standard letter-sized envelope and purchase Expedited/Xpresspost shipping for it.

Does the same go for a parcel being under with measurements. Strange they quote minimums but systems will let you ship. I know it does block showing the rate if the measurement is under for calculated shipping. Crazy having to inflate shipment measurements to get ALL services to display.

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

More accurately, the first price step for domestic parcels is 750g and under.  

Between 2 locations the price will be the same for 100g or 300g or 700g ...

-;-

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

I asked the buyer if she was in a small rural area & she said no. She lives within the Tri City Area (Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge area) of Toronto!

Baden is a small rural village connected via high speed highway to urban Kitchener. While they have a added more houses in recent years, for a long time you could drive down the rather long main street and see the farm fields behind the buildings on the north side. I don't know whether Canada Post considers them rural or urban.

Have you checked the Baden postal code with the Canada Post calculator to see what cost it shows?

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate

🤔

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

More accurately, the first price step for domestic parcels is 750g and under.  

Between 2 locations the price will be the same for 100g or 300g or 700g ...

-;-

The term you are looking for is "Minimum Billable Weight" not "minimum weight"

20 years ago the Minimum Billable Weight for Expedited was one KG, during one of the big price increases in the early 2000's the rates for 1kg went up by quite a bit and CP's answer was to lower the mimumum billable weight to 750g  which resulted in the new weight for 750g being just slightly lower than the old rate for 1kg.

It was presented as a classic "good news" as the mimimum charge actually went down (very slightly).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 32 of 32
latest reply