How to re-invoice a buyer after refund/

Does anyone know of a way to invoice a buyer who did not pay via Paypal?

I had a user purchase an item from me, it was shipped on Feb 10. Due to Canada Post delays I refunded my buyer in full on March 24th. Of course on March 25th the goods arrived and he actually contacted me to figure out a way to pay. However it seems with managed payments there is no way to do this from eBay.

I have asked him to Pay via my Paypal ID but I am not sure if he is able to do so yet as the original payment was not via Paypal. Is there another way? I can't understand why there is no easy way to do this from within eBay?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are two easy ways to do this:

if you are "PRE-MP"

-just "reply" to the PAYPAL payment message you got. This allows you to harvest the original email address of the buyer from the address bar and you can use it to send the paypal invoice to that email address.

if you are "POST-MP"

-simply create another item specifically for the buyer. For example if you were the buyer, I'd call it "special lot for flyhooks". I never include the full buyer name. eBay will get their fees, but you got most of them back as a result of the refund anyway so you're not much worse off.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

EBay's job is done. They don't care what happens now. You can send a request through PayPal, or if the buyer has your email they can just send the money to you in PayPal. They could send you an e-transfer, or mail you a cheque. Whatever works best for the two of you. There isn't going to be anything "official" or "on the books" for ebay as the transaction is complete on their end. Now you and the buyer are just entering into a handshake deal. Congrats on your honest buyer!

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Even with PP this has been difficult since eBay was forced to divest of Paypal. Before then the Buyer's email address was posted on the PP invoice.

However, you can send the buyer an eBay Message asking for his PP email because you have been in a transaction with him.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

There are two easy ways to do this:

if you are "PRE-MP"

-just "reply" to the PAYPAL payment message you got. This allows you to harvest the original email address of the buyer from the address bar and you can use it to send the paypal invoice to that email address.

if you are "POST-MP"

-simply create another item specifically for the buyer. For example if you were the buyer, I'd call it "special lot for flyhooks". I never include the full buyer name. eBay will get their fees, but you got most of them back as a result of the refund anyway so you're not much worse off.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Genius.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

So Here is an update for those who care,

The buyer did not want use, or does not have Paypal, to repay. I contacted eBay as the buyer did not want to break any eBay rules, eBay told me because no case was opend by the buyer, and I refunded them without an open case, there is no way to invoice the Buyer via eBay. EBay  told me the buyer can pay me via PP or etransfer or any other agreeable solution. I asked eBay to advise the the buyer of this as he is reluctant to pay outside of eBay. EBay stated they cannot contact the buyer unless the buyer contacts them first. So I advised the buyer what they stated, and no suprise "crickets" no response since March 26.

So lessons learned from a sellers perspective.

1. Do not refund a buyer for a late shipment until they open a case (so much for good customer service)

2. Do not expect any customer support from eBay when asking them to contact a buyer.

3. The old way for refunds before MP worked much better.

So I now have a delema, do I block this buyer? The buyer was initially rude when contacting me about no delivery. The buyer did not beleive the item was shipped on time, he was provided a copy of the label but because it was sent Small Packet USA the item was not tracked or scanned in this case. However the buyer was honest and reached out for a way to make it right and pay for the item. However his mistrust grew when I instructed him to go outside of eBay to pay. Even though eBay asked me to tell him, but eBay would not tell him. Anyway this is a whole lot of trouble and time for 2 individuals for $22 CAD. I will be cutting my loss as my time is worth more, I suspect the buyer feels the same way.

It sure would be good if eBay had a way to invoice a buyer after a refund, without a case opened.

my head hurts.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

So Here is an update for those who care,

The buyer did not want use, or does not have Paypal, to repay. I contacted eBay as the buyer did not want to break any eBay rules, eBay told me because no case was opend by the buyer, and I refunded them without an open case, there is no way to invoice the Buyer via eBay. EBay  told me the buyer can pay me via PP or etransfer or any other agreeable solution. I asked eBay to advise the the buyer of this as he is reluctant to pay outside of eBay. EBay stated they cannot contact the buyer unless the buyer contacts them first. So I advised the buyer what they stated, and no suprise "crickets" no response since March 26.

So lessons learned from a sellers perspective.

1. Do not refund a buyer for a late shipment until they open a case (so much for good customer service)

2. Do not expect any customer support from eBay when asking them to contact a buyer.

3. The old way for refunds before MP worked much better.

So I now have a delema, do I block this buyer? The buyer was initially rude when contacting me about no delivery. The buyer did not beleive the item was shipped on time, he was provided a copy of the label but because it was sent Small Packet USA the item was not tracked or scanned in this case. However the buyer was honest and reached out for a way to make it right and pay for the item. However his mistrust grew when I instructed him to go outside of eBay to pay. Even though eBay asked me to tell him, but eBay would not tell him. Anyway this is a whole lot of trouble and time for 2 individuals for $22 CAD. I will be cutting my loss as my time is worth more, I suspect the buyer feels the same way.

It sure would be good if eBay had a way to invoice a buyer after a refund, without a case opened.

my head hurts.

tyler@ebay 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Can't you just create a special just for the buyer ebay lot to purchase and they purchase and pay for it, you can mark it shipped immediately and all is good, and it stays inside eBay which is what they want. (I create these special lots for buyers all the time) They can also pay however they paid before because as far as ebay is concerned it is just another normal ebay lot.

I know that a chunk of my buyers tend to seriously mistrust PAYPAL.... it sounds like yours does as well, they've gotten so many spams that they don't trust anything PAYPAL direct anymore.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Can't you just create a special just for the buyer ebay lot to purchase and they purchase and pay for it, you can mark it shipped immediately and all is good, and it stays inside eBay which is what they want. (I create these special lots for buyers all the time) They can also pay however they paid before because as far as ebay is concerned it is just another normal ebay lot.

I know that a chunk of my buyers tend to seriously mistrust PAYPAL.... it sounds like yours does as well, they've gotten so many spams that they don't trust anything PAYPAL direct anymore.

@flyhooks4less 

The customer would be able to re-pay, but then how does seller show shipped/tracking etc? Tracking numbers cannot be re-used and required to confirm delivery. Pick Up would not really be the applicable true shipping method.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I gave the buyer many options, also was open to other suggestions, so I could do what you suggest, but the buyer is no longer responding so I without further buyer communication I would be wasting my time, and opening myself up to further INR.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Hi! All you need to do is mark it as shipped, and eBay is happy after that. (same as would be the case for anything untracked)

The customer isn't going to care because nothing was shipped, they're just paying again for what they alreay have and were refunded for. 

If they were going to be a knob they could create an INR but they'd never do that because they know they bought the special for them item to repay for it. Because they've already been honest and are willing to pay this isn't going to happen. I suppose there is a miniscule chance they'd forgot what the shipped item message is about, if one was worried about that you could send a message saying that you've marked the item as shipped to keep eBay happy and they can ignore any messages about that.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

If it were me, I'd create the special item, and send a last message thanking them for their honesty and advising you've finally figured out a way for them to pay again by buying a special only for them ebay item so they can pay the way they did before. All they need to do is purchase the item (include a link to it) and pay for it and you would mark it as shipped and all would be well after that.

If you don't hear from them just end the listing after you've given up.

(PS because there are a PILE of nosy people in the world (watch the number of views the special lots get), put some text in the item that says that if the item isn't for them, check out your store for 100s (or whatever) other items you have for sale. Here is the text I put in mine: "A special ebay lot made up only for PARTIALBUYERNAME. If you are not PARTIABUYERNAME, please check my ebay store for 1000s of other interesting items!)

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

"eBay told me because no case was opend by the buyer, and I refunded them without an open case, there is no way to invoice the Buyer via eBay."

There would be no way to invoice them through eBay even IF  they had been refunded through eBay. I have no idea why they would say that made a difference...they were probably just guessing.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

It should be like when you are at the checkout and need to make an exchange(different price or same price), they refund and/or re-bill and charge the difference when applicable. Seems counter intuitive that there is nothing in place for these situations. Even more so now when there are other payment systems in place. This comes up on the US board as an issue almost daily.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

The buyer actually was refunded through eBay, The chat person stated if there was a case opened, then I refunded, they could step in and help, but because there was no case opened they could not.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I agree-- but I reduce the chances of another member finding the item by making the title the buyer's name.

He can find it easily.

I was usually doing it for a Best Offer where there was no BO option, so I could just use Sell Similar for the description. But this is no longer a problem.

In future,  you can give your email in eBay Messages because there has been a transaction, and you can go directly to etransfer.

The only problem with etransfer is that it is like sending cash in the mail. Once accepted by the seller, it cannot be recalled.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

The buyer actually was refunded through eBay, The chat person stated if there was a case opened, then I refunded, they could step in and help, but because there was no case opened they could not.

That still does not make sense as far as sending an invoice or recovering the money from the buyer. There is no way for ebay to collect money from a buyer after they have been refunded.  If there was a case and you appealed, it is possible that ebay would credit you for that amount that you refunded but that wouldn't involve the buyer at all, it would be a courtesy refund from ebay.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

The issue is the buyer wants to do it though eBay so he doesnt break any rules. You and I know he can, so does eBay but the buyer does not know initially. He does now but....

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Perhaps the chat agent meant that they could contact the buyer to help if there was a case, who knows?

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I think at this point, I would send a paper invoice (via snail mail) on ebay letterhead.  Then forget about it.

Nothing to lose but you just might  get a cheque in the mail.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply