Isn't this just a wee bit creepy?

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new teapot.  I bought it online from HBC, paid with Paypal.  I think that was my big mistake.  Now, wherever I go on eBay, I see teapots.  Teapots on my landing page, even ads on eBay pages linking to similar teapots on HBC.  Teapots on my seller pages, teapots whenever I do any search.  Teapots, teapots, everywhere (nor any drop to drink Woman Very Happy).   

It's actually beginning to feel a little like being stalked by bots.  Obviously some programme recorded the fact that I'd purchased a teapot on HBC and somehow transmitted that information to eBay -- actually to my seller ID on eBay.  This means, logically, that eBay must have accessed and utilized through that transaction the only two things that connect my seller ID to my purchase on HBC: my name, and my Paypal account (and I suppose by extension, my email address connected with Paypal).  

I did not have eBay open on my computer at the time I purchased from HBC.  I know, I know, this is the modern world of shared data, but it just feels a little invasive, or at the very least, importunate.  

I honestly don't know whether to blame HBC or eBay for this completely unsolicited incursion on my seller account.  More likely they're in cahoots.  I just think this is taking selling a bit too far, into the Creep Zone. 

Diatribe concluded. Woman Very Happy

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

It's not personal and it's not tied to your online identities, it's your computer. Specifically your browser history and data cache.

Blame the cookies.

I was looking for rubber boots online for my boys with my smartphone.

Now every ad on every webpage with active content shows me boots for sale. 

It's the cookies.

Clear your cache, clear your browse history, log out of everything, and restart.

That might help.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I will look at a listing for a book.

Then when the seller drops the price I get a notification in my email.

Fortunately....  They are labelled as Phishing emails and are very easily deleted.

There are many way that eBay can track you on their website... and now off the eBay website

The question becomes... Does HBC advertise on eBay?

------------------------------------------------------------

We are tracked on the internet in many ways...

It was two years ago that I used a tool to track a problem program.... malware...... that got onto my computer.

My computer was cleaned.....  everything ... was removed....disappeared... but very soon everything except the problem program was back.

Understand... we all are being.... watched.....  on the internet

They track what we do... and  others can view what we do......

eBay does have a "cookie"  on your computer.... and you will be tracked..... in relation to eBay... and most likely in relation to everything you do on the internet

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Creepy Yes but it is tracking - and it is to do with COOKIES - every time you use a computer on the internet it leaves a trail and it sends out info and Companies PAY to get your Cookies so they can target you.

One thing that is fun to do is to go to a website of something you have no interest in, then watch to see how long before you start getting offers for the thing you didn't want.

Oh - and how many good looking ladies/men live near you?

I HATE those pop  ups! 

BUT that is how the internet is paid for. 

Sometimes clearing your Cache will help stop it, but be careful or it wipes out your passwords and auto fill on forms and it can be a real annoyance to have to fill them all in again.

HAPPY INTERNETING...

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Clear the cookies out of your browser that you have on your computer. That's where the teapot info is.

In future (depending on your browser) you could switch on privacy mode when buying so there is no information to share between websites (of course that might also make buying more difficult).

Or delete cookies immediately after buying (my browser allows deletion of last hour, last 2 hours, last 4 hours, today for cookies and other data)

-..-

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I've noticed these ads as well. Pretty annoying.

"BUT that is how the internet is paid for"

People pay for internet, not ads. I don't understand why people think television and internet is paid for by commercials/ads/sponsors, if that was the case, TV and internet would be free and already paid for.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

The websites we enjoy are not free. Ads are how the content is paid for and the pages are kept up and running. Servers are not free. Usage is not free for the content provider.

As consumers, you and I pay for internet connections. Like we might pay for cable. Ads pay for the programming we use and consume and/or entertain ourselves with regardless of whether we watch it on TV or look at it on our computers or smartphones. 

Without ads in newspapers, on television shows, or running as annoying banners across websites, we'd be staring at static or blank screens. Connectivity as in access is only half of the equation, maybe less. 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@melissasminis wrote:

I've noticed these ads as well. Pretty annoying.

"BUT that is how the internet is paid for"

People pay for internet, not ads. I don't understand why people think television and internet is paid for by commercials/ads/sponsors, if that was the case, TV and internet would be free and already paid for.

You're confusing two separate issues:

the cost to connect to the internet

with the cost to have accessible content on the internet (often paid for by advertising),

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I have an urge to bake cookies.

Why?

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Right-o! I see we replied at the same time. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I have an urge to bake cookies.

Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69ciKJOcOoScreen Shot 2017-03-29 at 1.34.47 PM.png

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I live in a house with a laptops, Ipads, phones etc.

What I find more interesting is that if I happen to look at "teapots" on my phone, or my IPAD, or my computer, the next time I'm on a different device, I'm still getting the "teapot syndrome" which means its more than just clearing cookies on the one machine. As well it isn't necessarily only eBay. Google, eBay and even facebook seem to communicate somehow that I'm a "teapot" kinda guy....

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Router?

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I doubt it, it may track the IP location and since they're all in the same place going through the same router it somehow knows....

I haven't spent much time thinking on it in the past. I like Rose just noticed "hey it's showing me "teapots" when I'm on some other device...and I thought to my self "sneaky rippers" (or maybe something not so typable here 😉 )
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Or the cookies store your IP address and displays your goings-on to anyone else who comes along from that same Internet Protocol address? These are guesses only, I'm not fluent in GeekSpeak. (I just visit, I don't live there.) It's probably easily explained by one of the Community computer guys who will come along and make it all sound as easy as baking cookies. Not that I'm an expert cookie-baker, either. 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

Again, typing simultaneously. 

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I use two computers.

The newer computer with Windows 10  is for everything and all things eBay..   This computer is very intetnet active.

Spyhunter found that this computer was full of all kinds of programs that settled onto my computer.  I did not ask for these items, but they were there.  It goes to show  how many people were interested in what I was doing.

Spyhunter removed them... but they came back....  except for that malicious malware

My second computer with Windows Vista is my email only computer...... This computer is very, very clean.  I rarely communicate with any site other than eBay.  This computer is very clean.

I have a router.....  I have a firewall, or is it firewalls....   and Norton antivirus.

The firewall is set low on the Windows 10 computer......  Most everything will access my computer.... I cannot afford block something important in relation to eBay.

Norton protects me......  and if necessary  I will access Spyhunter..... must pay.....to use it.

I am protected....  most likely 

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

One must be very careful on the internet today......  The people that track us are getting better very, very fast.

We have to understand  that eBay is linked with Paypal, and both eBay and Paypal are linked with our bank account.

-----------------------------------------------

So you access Twitter, Facebook and more.....  How good is Facebook with protecting your information....  ask the Government of Canada

People can track you... who you are.....where you live.... and lots, lots more.

Are our emails protected or can someone .... anyone....read them.

I will sometimes get a strange address for a buyer......  I will track them.... full name, address  telephone(s), age, occupation ...   right up to the point I will "stand" on the street and look at where they live.

Nothing is ..... absolutely safe .....  today.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This HBC Teapot is not creepy... It is an internet reality

Trackers will always be there.    It is the hackers we have to be concerned about.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

I use two computers.

The newer computer with Windows 10  is for everything and all things eBay..   This computer is very intetnet active.

Spyhunter found that this computer was full of all kinds of programs that settled onto my computer.  I did not ask for these items, but they were there.  It goes to show  how many people were interested in what I was doing.

Spyhunter removed them... but they came back....  except for that malicious malware

My second computer with Windows Vista is my email only computer...... This computer is very, very clean.  I rarely communicate with any site other than eBay.  This computer is very clean.

I have a router.....  I have a firewall, or is it firewalls....   and Norton antivirus.

The firewall is set low on the Windows 10 computer......  Most everything will access my computer.... I cannot afford block something important in relation to eBay.

Norton protects me......  and if necessary  I will access Spyhunter..... must pay.....to use it.

I am protected....  most likely  

Be careful with Spyhunter. Do a Google search on the name and there are many bad reviews saying it is fake software and tells you that you have issues and then "removes" them.

What Norton Anti Virus do you have. A paid for version? Is it a suite? You should have a suite which has an anti-virus protection, a firewall, a malware protection and so on.

The best Malware program is Malwarebytes. It is not a virus program, not a firewall, it is designed to protect against malware. I strongly suggest you uninstall the free SpyHunter immediately. It may not even really uninstall. Download free Malwarebytes and get the 15 day full trial version and run to check your computer. It will clean it up if there are real issues. After 15 days it will no longer offer real time scanning but will still work if manually run to check your computer. (see my notes farther on.)

Did you know that most ISP (Internet Service Providers) offer a free Internet Suite for their customers? For example, I am on Shaw cable and I get McAfee Internet Security free on up to 5 computers. McAfee is usually in the top 5 Internet Security packages in reviews each year. Not the best but not the worst. Check with your ISP to see if you get a free Internet Security package.

To take care of your computer, here is a post I make once in a while on the USA forums and recent on these forums.

Here is a post I make occasionally for issues like yours. Sometimes it helps an eBay user. You might want to try some or all of what I am posting. Perhaps you have. If you still have issues, please post back with more details on your computer like Windows Version, browser make and version, using a desktop computer or laptop or mobile device like an tablet or smartphone, or any other details that might be relevant so that others can try to help.

To minimize issues with eBay and any on the fly code changes, clear your browser cache and cookies each day or after each browser session. Old code may be in the browser cache and not cleared with the new code so eBay may not work properly because of this.

Clean your browser cache and cookies using CTRL SHIFT DELETE? Make sure you are logged out of eBay and any site and follow the popup box to clean your browser.

Warning: Clearing cookies might lose cookies for some sites that are used to store preferences for that site. I do not care since nothing is critical and prefer to not have any cookies left on my computer so I have my browsers set to remove cookies and cache upon exit from my browser session.

Do you have another browser installed? I find it is best to have another browser installed to see if a recent browser or eBay update makes my browser not work properly. I use FireFox browser as my main browser (FF works well for the past 5 years) with Google Chrome and Opera browsers as backup.

Also, I find these tools handy to clean up my Windows computer on a regular basis.

I would suggest getting free CCleaner and set to run on startup to clean your computer. Install the free version. Make sure to set it to clean all files including those within the past 24 hours (an option to set).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Install free AdBlockPlus to block most ads in your browser. I have used it for years and many eBay members too. It works for eBay and other web sites. This tool speeds up working on eBay a lot without all the moving ads.

www.adblockplus.org

I would also suggest installing free malwarebytes to scan your computer for malware. This program is for malware only and catches many things that virus programs do not. Run once a month or so to check your computer. Install the free version.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

I have had all three installed for years as well as a internet suite for anti-virus and have had minimal issues. I still managed to get a virus in the past 10 years a couple of times (from Photobucket through their banner ads that ran Adobe Flash, I disable flash now and only turn on when I want for a site. You may want to disable Adobe Flash as well and enable only when needed). Adobe Flash is not recommended to use any more by many browsers (Google, FireFox) as it is so prone for malicious software hidden in it.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply