Item Not Received Case

ddo204
Community Member

I buyer opened an item not received case for an item shipped Small Packets International - Ground.

The sold the item with free shipping and shipped via Canada Post International Ground going to Europe.

I shipped the item on August 30, 2017 and the case was opened today (Oct. 3). Canada Post website says approx. 1-2 months delivery to Europe via this shipping method and there is no tracking available.

Should I just refund the buyer or escalate to resolution center? I have the shipping label I printed via Shippo and the item is listed as shipped on Aug. 30 on Canada Post website.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item Not Received Case

If you don't offer a refund now, you will have to weigh your hope in the buyer's patience against the likelihood of getting a defect if the buyer escalates the INR, because without tracking you will definitely lose the case.  If you've just started selling, the last thing you want is a defect and/or negative FB.   

Even if the buyer says he'll be patient and wait, he may change his mind when it comes to leaving feedback, and answer "No" when asked if the parcel arrived by such-and-such a date.  Whether you get a late defect at that point will depend on what eBay's delivery estimate is -- it should be shown under the "Shipping" tab on your listing, although eBay isn't always very forthcoming or accurate when displaying their own delivery estimates.  Or the buyer may get nervous and decide to escalate the case after all.  In which event, you'll be forced to refund anyway in order to avoid a defect. 

If this is an item of relatively high value and I were a new seller, I think I'd send a message to the buyer asking that they wait one more week, making it clear that I'd refund immediately thereafter if the item didn't arrive.  Provide an actual refund date, don't be vague.  See how the buyer responds.  If they agree, be prepared to refund, then ask the buyer if they would kindly let you re-invoice them if the item does eventually arrive.  Of course, without tracking, you'll have to rely on the buyer's honesty to inform you if the item arrives. 

If it's an item of fairly low value, weigh that value against the value to your business of avoiding a defect and potential negative FB at your stage of selling.  If you have a high turnover, you may be able to absorb the loss and the defect without much impact.  If you have a low sales rate, even one defect is a serious matter. 

The unfortunate lesson to be learned here is -- never send anything by ground.  EBay just isn't tolerant of long delivery times anymore, and if you keep using ground services, and get defects as a result, you'll find that eBay will downgrade your seller status to the point where you're practically invisible to buyers.  

Lastly, shipping overseas has become a terrible dilemma for smaller sellers on eBay.  Should you use tracking to protect yourself against late shipment defects (and thus turn off a whole lot of buyers from paying the exorbitant shipping costs)?  Or should you use non-tracked air parcel (Small Packet Air) and extend your displayed handling/shipping time on the listing to help shield yourself from late shipment issues?  And by "late shipment issues", I mean as perceived by eBay and buyers, not as determined by Canada Post.  Of course, if you're selling large-sized or heavy items, you have an additional problem, since Small Packet Air has size and weight restrictions.  Then you're into high-priced tracked services anyway. 

By the way, was this parcel insured?  If so, and if you need to refund, you may be able to pursue recompense from Canada Post (or whoever your insurer was). 

I hope this turns out well for you, but honestly, don't use ground shipping if you want to keep selling successfully on eBay.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Never send anything ground anywhere. You will get more of these.

You may as well refund as you have no tracking. The receipt from the post office is worth nothing with a claim.. Once you refund, ask the buyer to repay for the item when it arrives.

What was the value of the item and was it insured.

As a new seller, you should only sell to Canada and the US until you learn the ins and outs, and what not to do selling internationally.

I wish you luck in the future.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@ddo204 wrote:

I buyer opened an item not received case for an item shipped Small Packets International - Ground.

The sold the item with free shipping and shipped via Canada Post International Ground going to Europe.

I shipped the item on August 30, 2017 and the case was opened today (Oct. 3). Canada Post website says approx. 1-2 months delivery to Europe via this shipping method and there is no tracking available.

Should I just refund the buyer or escalate to resolution center? I have the shipping label I printed via Shippo and the item is listed as shipped on Aug. 30 on Canada Post website.

You have responded to the buyer?

What time estimate does eBay give for arrival (that's what matters, not Canada Post's estimate). Ten years ago when it was still barely okay to use Small Packet Surface it took 5-8 weeks (when the filing limit was 7 weeks).

Apologize for the slow delivery time, and offer them a full refund if it has not arrived by October 23. They might be willing to wait until then (but only if it is still covered by eBay's protection -- 30 days from last estimated delivery date).

Or apologize for the slow shipping, offer a full refund and the suggestion that they can repay the refund via paypal when the item finally arrives.

But if the case gets escalated to eBay you will lose the case since Small Packet is not tracked.

-..-

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Here are some form letters that I use/customize. Please feel free to do the same.....

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-INR-where-is-my-package-updated-2016-form-lette... 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Unfortunately eBay does not give an estimated arrival time for this shipping method.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If you don't offer a refund now, you will have to weigh your hope in the buyer's patience against the likelihood of getting a defect if the buyer escalates the INR, because without tracking you will definitely lose the case.  If you've just started selling, the last thing you want is a defect and/or negative FB.   

Even if the buyer says he'll be patient and wait, he may change his mind when it comes to leaving feedback, and answer "No" when asked if the parcel arrived by such-and-such a date.  Whether you get a late defect at that point will depend on what eBay's delivery estimate is -- it should be shown under the "Shipping" tab on your listing, although eBay isn't always very forthcoming or accurate when displaying their own delivery estimates.  Or the buyer may get nervous and decide to escalate the case after all.  In which event, you'll be forced to refund anyway in order to avoid a defect. 

If this is an item of relatively high value and I were a new seller, I think I'd send a message to the buyer asking that they wait one more week, making it clear that I'd refund immediately thereafter if the item didn't arrive.  Provide an actual refund date, don't be vague.  See how the buyer responds.  If they agree, be prepared to refund, then ask the buyer if they would kindly let you re-invoice them if the item does eventually arrive.  Of course, without tracking, you'll have to rely on the buyer's honesty to inform you if the item arrives. 

If it's an item of fairly low value, weigh that value against the value to your business of avoiding a defect and potential negative FB at your stage of selling.  If you have a high turnover, you may be able to absorb the loss and the defect without much impact.  If you have a low sales rate, even one defect is a serious matter. 

The unfortunate lesson to be learned here is -- never send anything by ground.  EBay just isn't tolerant of long delivery times anymore, and if you keep using ground services, and get defects as a result, you'll find that eBay will downgrade your seller status to the point where you're practically invisible to buyers.  

Lastly, shipping overseas has become a terrible dilemma for smaller sellers on eBay.  Should you use tracking to protect yourself against late shipment defects (and thus turn off a whole lot of buyers from paying the exorbitant shipping costs)?  Or should you use non-tracked air parcel (Small Packet Air) and extend your displayed handling/shipping time on the listing to help shield yourself from late shipment issues?  And by "late shipment issues", I mean as perceived by eBay and buyers, not as determined by Canada Post.  Of course, if you're selling large-sized or heavy items, you have an additional problem, since Small Packet Air has size and weight restrictions.  Then you're into high-priced tracked services anyway. 

By the way, was this parcel insured?  If so, and if you need to refund, you may be able to pursue recompense from Canada Post (or whoever your insurer was). 

I hope this turns out well for you, but honestly, don't use ground shipping if you want to keep selling successfully on eBay.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It's useful to remind sellers that shipping is paid by the buyer, but chosen by the seller.

The seller should choose a service that is prompt and secure. This does NOT include any form of international surface shipping.

Whether or not the seller insures or tracks is her own choice.

If the cost* of losing the item is low, don't bother with expensive tracking or third-party insurance. The very occasional loss will be offset by purchases that are clinched by your lower shipping costs.

If you can't afford* to lose the item, then track it and insure it.

Insert rant about Cookie Jar Insurance here.

Your international buyer couldn't find your doohickey in their own country. If they can't afford prompt secure shipping, they will have to do without.

Your product line tends to attract an impatient, entitled and high maintenance demographic. Protect yourself. 

*Including the emotional cost.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply