Lame excuse for return but will Ebay side with them.

So I sold this power-supply that I listed as "New-open box". In the condition field and in the item description  I wrote "Not used as far as I can tell.  No box."    It was from my workplace, and as far as I know it was never used.   My policy is also "No Returns".    The buyer's excuse was that it was "Not new".   Is Ebay going to side with the buyer?   Perhaps "New - open box" was not the greatest choice, but places like BestBuy have these all the time and I know for sure that these were taken out of the box by the customer and at least tried out before returning to the store.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

When a buyer claims that an item is not as described ebay will generally side with them as they have no way of knowing what you sent or the condition in which it was received.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Even with copius photos on the listing, and Ebay's definition of New-OpenBox? : 

New—open box: The item is in excellent, new condition with no functional defects. The item may be missing original packaging and may have been used for testing or demo purposes. The item includes accessories found with the original product and may include a warranty. See the seller's listing for full details and a description

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@treadstone68 wrote:

Even with copius photos on the listing, and Ebay's definition of New-OpenBox?

As per @pjcdn2005's post, eBay doesn’t know if you sent the same item as the one in those copious photos.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

When a buyer open a case for: received the wrong item, it arrived damaged, or it doesn't match the listing description. You must accept the return. It's part of the money back guarantee. You cannot use subjectivity in those cases. Condition is always subjectivity. If you ask eBay to step in you will lose your item and your money in most cases. You should by default always accept returns in those cases. If it's a fraud case or the buyer did a false claim to exploit the system, you can report or take actions after returned. 

That being said, why no one selling on eBay read rules? This part of the system is a basic that everyone selling should know. We see sellers all the time asking eBay to step in and losing everything. Then they scream they got scammed and eBay is the devil. But they just lose their cases because of their lack of knowledge. Luckily you asked for help before falling into that pattern.

You agree to be part of the money back guarantee when you sell on eBay, you should take a read (especially the returns part):

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

eBay doesn't arbitrate individual returns. If a buyer is unhappy and they open a return - you have to resolve the return either with a partial refund (that the buyer accepts), or by providing a return label (and a full refund upon the return of the item). You should not ignore a return, because if you do the buyer can ask eBay to step in. eBay will close the return in the favor of the buyer because you did not resolve it with a refund or a label. The result will be that the buyer will get to keep the item and the refund. 

eBay works on a system where it is up to both the buyer and seller to act in good faith. They only take action against buyers or sellers when there is a pattern of bad faith activity that is reported. For example, if a buyer opens up multiple returns for bad faith reasons, and enough sellers report the buyer, eBay usually will remove them from the Buyer Protection Program. Meaning, they cannot make returns.

Whether you were right or wrong in how you listed your item, you should always consider the liability of a return when listing an item. If the item is heavy and costly to ship, you may want to be as conservative as possible with your description of the condition in order to lower the chance that a buyer has unrealistically high expectations for the condition of an item.

When you describe an item, let's assume you are doing it honestly and in good faith. You have to strike the balance of promising a condition that will attract buyers and allow you to sell your item as quickly as possible for the best price, but also not over-promise, which might lead to a return if the buyer's expectations are too high. 

In your shoes, I would approach the buyer in a friendly and professional way to see if you guys can come up with a partial refund that makes sense for both of you. Meaning, they are happy with the refund and still get them item, and for you it costs less than the economic cost of facilitating a return. As you admitted yourself, new-open box may not have been the best choice for condition. It sounds like it is possible that this buyer isn't scamming you, it's just a disagreement about the condition, that does happen sometimes when selling things online. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

How can an item be "open box" if there is no box?

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

It means you don't want to have it back.

If you do want to have it back, you will likely have to send Return Shipping. You would then be required to refund on arrival.

You can buy a USPS shipping label on Shippo, among others, and get a small discount when you do.

It was from my workplace, and as far as I know it was never used.

Did you get a receipt when you bought it? How was it described on the receipt?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Our company was small and we only bought new stuff, so I am 99% sure the unit was not used.   For a "community" of eBay sellers, there definitely seems to be a lot of anti-seller sentiment in this discussion.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

It's called "tough love".  We may sympathize with your problem, but you are going to hear the facts not some pinkfuzzies of smoochies.

Unless you bought it yourself brand new from a supplier who is not a refurbisher, you should not call it new.

If there is no box, it's not "open box".

And while we can have a No Returns policy, we cannot have a No Refunds policy.

We are saying we never want to see the item again and eBay will take us at our word.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

...here we go again!  

When you sell an item on eBay it's by the Rules and Policies you agreed to when you signed up, the fact that you choose not to read them is solely on you...

You listed the item as "New-open box" - it was not, it should have been listed

• Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear. but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=476...

Being clear and accurate about your item's condition lets the buyer know whether they're getting something new, used, or something in between.

On the listing form, you can choose from one of several preset item condition options, which vary depending on the category that you list your item in.

It's important to select the right item condition as it also helps ensure you're following our selling practices policy.

Find out what each item condition means in a particular category by reading our list below.

Note that some sub-categories have a different set of item conditions from their main category. To get more details, review the Item Condition Look-up Table.

As for the return...

You will have to accept the return and pay the shipping or refund the full amount and let them keep the item, if you resist and "haggle" with your buyer, a negative FB might be your reward.

You listed an item from your workplace with a sketchy story, it was not New no box, it was used, period.

"Lame excuse for return but will Ebay side with them."

It was not a lame excuse for a return, it is quite valid.

Yes they will, so read the following

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/managing-returns-refunds?id=4079

4 min overview

Manage returns, missing items, and refunds for sellers

Here's everything you need to know if something goes wrong with an order, or a buyer changes their mind and doesn't want the item anymore.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@treadstone68 wrote:

Our company was small and we only bought new stuff, so I am 99% sure the unit was not used.   For a "community" of eBay sellers, there definitely seems to be a lot of anti-seller sentiment in this discussion.

"there definitely seems to be a lot of anti-seller sentiment in this discussion"

Other members giving you facts are not "anti-seller sentiment" it's decades of experience from selling on eBay, for myself it's over 2 decades, take it, leave it, but do not "melt" over it...

Selling on eBay requires you to keep up to date with the rules and policies that apply to everyone, and change with the times. Item Conditions are one of the most basic. 

Vintage Mint is subjective.

New / Used or Damaged are facts.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply