New listing requirements are expanding to additional categories

Hi, all. In case you missed it, the most recent Seller News article talks about how the product-based shopping experience categories will be expanding in the future, with details to be provided in the May 2018 Seller Update.

Please use this thread for any questions or comments you might have on this topic. We may have a special guest in store who can answer some of your questions slight_smile

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: New listing requirements are expanding to additional categories

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

The most important part to consider is that we say you'll be able to suggest edits to products. eBay will remain the custodian of the information in our catalogue. We are putting measures in place, both software and human, to verify and curate what edits are allowed to go through. We will be able to tell when someone ought to create a new product in the catalogue if they're trying to edit a correct entry, and vice versa: we will be able to detect when someone attempts to create a product that already exists in the catalogue and prevent the creation of duplicates.

Thanks for both your replies.  I think I'm understanding this picture a little better.   It seems that if I stay on eBay, I may need to register for VeRO just to protect others from altering my products in the catalogue.  I'll keep your suggestion about the Manufacturer's Part Number in mind. 

Do you have a timeline for initiation of the "productization" features around OOAK, vintage or similar items?  It would be nice to have some advance notice, so that sellers in my sort of situation can get prepared.  

I am still wondering about the measures you mention (human and otherwise) that are being put in place to oversee and control what will ultimately be a gargantuan catalogue.   How exactly will either the bots or the live monitors know when an entry is actually correct, or a new entry needed?  I'm having trouble understanding how these eBay overseers could all be experts in each and every one of the products they'll be looking at.  Is eBay going to be using some sort of broader industry or manufacturer database of specifications against which to compare seller entries?  Maybe I'm having a "stupid day", but this part I don't get.  🙂

Message 81 of 88
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote: 
Thanks for both your replies.  I think I'm understanding this picture a little better.   It seems that if I stay on eBay, I may need to register for VeRO just to protect others from altering my products in the catalogue.  I'll keep your suggestion about the Manufacturer's Part Number in mind. 

Hi rose-dee, as you pointed out earlier in the thread, you've never had to deal with people selling your items without your permission yet, I see no reason why that would change just because of PBSE. With that said, if you did end up facing that problem, PBSE will make it easier for you to enforce your copyright via VeRO. By the way, registering for VeRO takes mere minutes and is totally painless.

@rose-dee wrote: 
Do you have a timeline for initiation of the "productization" features around OOAK, vintage or similar items?  It would be nice to have some advance notice, so that sellers in my sort of situation can get prepared.  

No timeline yet but as I have said before and as we have been doing since the beginning of the deployment of PBSE, we will give ample notice before making changes to any category.

@rose-dee wrote: 

I am still wondering about the measures you mention (human and otherwise) that are being put in place to oversee and control what will ultimately be a gargantuan catalogue.   How exactly will either the bots or the live monitors know when an entry is actually correct, or a new entry needed?  I'm having trouble understanding how these eBay overseers could all be experts in each and every one of the products they'll be looking at.  Is eBay going to be using some sort of broader industry or manufacturer database of specifications against which to compare seller entries?  Maybe I'm having a "stupid day", but this part I don't get.  🙂

There is already a lot that a well trained AI computer can do with regards to data management. In most cases, this will be enough to detect duplicates and overlapping entries. In addition, we are building a massive team to handle the human component which will pick up what the machine can't decide on. That team will have access to extensive resources to help them figure out what to approve, what to reject and what to approve with modifications. Finally, we will leverage external experts for whatever is out of our internal team's scope in terms of product knowledge.

I guarantee you're not having a stupid day, this is tremendously complex and it was far beyond my understanding until I was shown all the details. Suffice it to say that the people we have on this are incredibly smart and understand how a product catalog needs to be built if it's going to power a marketplace like eBay. Believe me when I say we are in very good hands there.

Message 82 of 88
latest reply

Thank you Raphael for your explanation of how ebays catalog will work. It is a scary thought, that ebay will allow other sellers to change the listings. Another site also allows the same thing, and it has turned their catalog into a disaster.

Most of the seller changes happen, when sellers download their listing in a large file, with the stock photos usually taking a big hit.

Duplicates are generally created by sellers using UPC's bought on ebay. Hopefully that will not happen, but bots are only as smart as how they are programmed.

Wishing ebay all the best in maintaining what they have, and create, in the future.

Message 83 of 88
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

Not sure if there is an answer for this....As of yet, but here goes. When applying the new catalog descriptions is it going to affect all the current listings available in eBay land or as/when they get relisted?  Causes nervousness knowing a listing you have spent time  and trouble putting out there, could get randomly suddenly modified. Just curious.

-CM

Message 84 of 88
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Raphael,

Not sure if there is an answer for this....As of yet, but here goes. When applying the new catalog descriptions is it going to affect all the current listings available in eBay land or as/when they get relisted?  Causes nervousness knowing a listing you have spent time  and trouble putting out there, could get randomly suddenly modified. Just curious.

-CM

Hi CM,

While we won't "randomly modify" item descriptions, the concept of the item description as we know it will change in the new PBSE world. When you think about it, most of the information that sellers put in the item description have little to do with the actual item. They put payment details, shipping details, returns terms, and so on. All of these have actual fields for them and this is where we ask that sellers put them. The actual item description will live in the catalogue and you will have the opportunity to suggest edits to that description if you spot something erroneous, but that description is for the product in general, not for the specific item that you're selling. There is no reason why one seller should describe the same product differently than another seller. What may differ is specifics about the item condition, or for example, whether the item has modifications or improvements. There are fields available at the listing level for these descriptions.

So in short, we won't go and modify your item description on the listings that are already live, but the way you list an item will change to rely less on your verbatim description and more on the data we have saved in the eBay catalogue (along with specifics about the actual item you're selling, which will be yours to describe).

Message 85 of 88
latest reply

Hi Raphael,

That is all fine in principle, but on the other side of that is then what is going to make a listing stand out if they all look basically the same other than the added pictures(realizing some sellers ONLY use stock photos). I and most buyers make their decisions based on those added details a seller has used in their listing.  These details are very important when selling something either previously used or considered vintage. Now will it just be price? 

-CM

Message 86 of 88
latest reply

As a Canadian seller with legitimate, non-counterfeit stock shipping from a location in Canada, I cannot and will not race to the bottom on price. My strengths as a seller lay elsewhere: superior product knowledge, excellent customer service, and lighting-fast delivery. If eBay starts training buyers to look only for price, there’s no sense in me staying here.
Message 87 of 88
latest reply

I'm in the same boat. From day one I've tried to be open and honest with my listings describing them as accurately as possible. As of late it seems to be a constant game of 1 step forward and 2 steps back. As a side note, I forgot to  include in that last post the number of sellers out there that use drop shipping where they are selling products not even in their actual possession. Or having sellers using the terms May or May Not in their descriptions. It just is getting very muddied for everyone involved. It's difficult enough with the big mega sellers having the majority of the advantages against the little sellers or features that we depend on as Canadian sellers suddenly stop working.

-CM

Message 88 of 88
latest reply