No more promotions?

I haven't received any invites to free listing promotions for months (on multiple accounts). What is going on? Went from having so many unlimited promos for months on end, to now, nothing. Anybody else experiencing this or have I just been seriously unlucky in the promo lottery pool?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: No more promotions?

yes i haven't received one since November. i missed the last 3 at least, they were all by invitation only..  mid January all the good to cancelled USA dollar auctions are ending.. there MAY be a big promotion coming at that time.. now whether or not we get invited , will have to wait and see..if i was a betting person- i would bet against an across the board promo..

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I was in the same boat (kind of -- just one account on .CA) -- I had a rash of promotions back a few months ago, so many so that I couldn't even max them out 🙂 Then NOT A THING for AGES... those are the breaks, right?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member
It's the gotcha.
List numerous items for free... selling period ends and you've got a multitude of items that need to be relisted.
Do you pay?

I refuse to fall into that trap.
My store subscription provides a certain amount, but after that, without a promo, the slower items sit.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too.

What eBay don't see is:

No sales = no final value fees for eBay

Sales = final value fees for eBay.

When I got free promos, my items got sold easily than with my store 500/1000 monthly free listings.

Why not let us post our items for FREE at any time, that way our items get sold and eBay gets final value fees, and everyone is happy.  Duh to eBay!!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I posed this question to ebay Canada staff awhile back and he said ebay was simply scaling back on the number of everyone-gets-this promos going forward.

Listing promos are offered to the benefit of ebay, not the sellers in question. Like when ebay needs to stimulate sales or activity in a certain category, items in that category get a promo. And the people who might sell that in the past get invited. No one else. Plus, ebay likes growth, they have to lure new sellers so that area of casual never-before sellers gets more attention than existing ones.

In my opinion, sellers love promos but buyers find little to no value in seeing all those extra listings or the soft-sellers. Why? Clutter in search. If the item was a hot seller, the seller would make sure it was listed, insertion fee for free or not. 

I don't wait for promos. I list what I have because one sale of a $21 item justifies 200 items not sitting in unsold.

That being said, I do get offended when promos have been run for six times and I've not been eligible for a single one. Luckily, I broke my losing streak in December. I was finally invited to one. There's been at least another since but again I wasn't eligible. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Happy for you mj. I'm still at 0 free promos since last April. Dot com promos anyway, the only ones that I use.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Maybe they deliberately cut us off for a while to make money on store subscriptions. Because I must admit, everytime this happens, I always consider upgrading my store...Except sales are so slow right now (and have been for a while), I can't justify a store upgrade...They should let us upgrade and downgrade back with no penalties.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If you opt for the monthly store rate, you can do just that. It's only the discounted annual rate for a store subscription that comes with a contract and pro-rated penalty for cancelling early. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I too have been missing the promotions since about November and even longer than that for .com. I do have the basic store so use my allotted items on .ca & .com for the month but that has been it for the last 4 months or so. Sales have not been wonderful either so certainly do not intend to pay for any more than the store to list items.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

With my buying ID on eBay.com, I get invited to every one. I have zero interest in selling on eBay.com and with such a low feedback count there (under 50) eBay should assume it would be a painful experience for all involved if I was to come cold to selling as an inexperienced buyer.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply