SNAD Scam Ebay Sides with Buyer with ZERO Feedback

Hello perhaps some more experienced ebayers could help out. Im am a top rated seller I recently sold some 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass tailights to a buyer with zero feedback. I described the items as used with some damage with pictures. I was very up front about it.  None of my ads offer returns but include free shipping.

Anyways i spent $50 CAD to ship the parts. New buyer with zero feedback request a return SNAD, claims there was damage not described. I disagreed, requested pictures of the damage, buyer does not respond. A few days pass the buyer calls into escalate files a case against me. Ebay sides with the new buyer. Now i have 4 days to provide the buyer with a shipping label or funds for shipping. My top rate seller status with 100% positive feedback means nothing to a buyer with zero feedback who alledges damage without so much as even providing pictures.

To ad insult to injury on top of already being out shipping to send it they want me to pay him to ship it back to me. If i don’t ill receive a defect. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Ironically enough I am currently on vacation the US which makes this process even more of a pain to deal with only a mobile phone. Canada Post definitely does not offer return international shipping. I looked into shippo they do not offer return international labels as well at least it was not obvious I couldn’t find it.

I cut my losses and refunded the scumbag . Of course he continues to ignore my messages and I’m guessing he will not return the lights. Thanks eBay for aiding and abbetiing in the theft from honest sellers.
Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Most public libraries have internet access at low rates or Free. Although when I have used these,I usually make a small donation ($5 or so) to the Library Fund.

And most hotels and some motels have a business centre, even if it is only a laptop chained near the reception desk for Luddite clients to print out plane tickets.

Of both you and the buyer are currently in the USA, then you could go to the USPS website and made a label there, then mailed it as a pdf to him.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Just a final update to this situation. I couldn't let it go, it bothered me to much so after a 2  hour phone call with ebay customer service, Ebay has agreed to refund me 100% and investigate the buyer. 

Good on eBay. Although it cost a lot of lost time being put on hold, cut off due to "technical difficulties". Initially they offered a $50 coupon which I declined. 

I learned that supervisors and managers are the only ones who can really offer anything, so ask for one of them. Although they put up a pretty good fight as well.  I guess a SNAD can be beat after all.

Life goes on, it was a rather unpleasant experience which I would not like to repeat. Thanks to all who chipped in, definitely a much more informed eBay seller now.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Disregard my previous post. What I have learned about Ebay is they will tell you anything to get you off the phone. Their customer service representatives will outright LIE to you. 

Promised a refund that never materialized.

Called Ebay March 30 spoke to Gaby a "supervisor" promised a courtesy refund would see it within the next week. 

Called Ebay April 6 spoke to Steve a "manager" promised a refund and to expect it within 7 days given this reference #1-206327246627

Called Ebay April 14 still no refund spoke to Josh a "supervisor" who said he was going to pull the previous calls to listen to what was promised to me, given this reference #1-207303853130 said he was going to call back within 24 hours.. never did.

Called Ebay April 16 spoke to "Victor" who explained to me that I will not receive a refund and that all the previous representatives "lied" yes he actually said that. So there you have it.

I have never experienced such dishonesty from a so called "reputable" business, it sickens me.

Recap: Shaddy zero feedback buyer opens bogus SNAD. I am forced to refund or get a defect, buyer takes my money does not return parts. Ebay promises refund ultimately fails to deliver only wastes my time.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you.  It's disheartening ..... and expensive!

We sellers all have horror stories and for every seller who says that they believe customers truly mean well and are reasonable, there are dozens who will disagree.

I started selling in 2006 and it was an entirely different ballgame.  I list and sell very little these days.  It's surprising how many buyers want their $20.00 lipstick or eyeshadow for free.  Obviously, you don't ship a $20 item with tracking so you expect that you will have to absorb some losses; however, buyers have become very wise where tracking is concerned and many do not hesitate to say it never arrived.  I send a refund and ask that they kindly write "Return to Sender" when it does arrive.  I've never got one back.  But I don't sell high ticket items like you do.

I've also had some very lovely buyers who send nice notes and are very pleased with their items.  Unfortunately, they are not all like that.

I think most buyers these days are so accustomed to buying online from large retailers  who accept returns with no questions asked, that they don't realize or care that they're dealing with individuals on eBay .... not corporations.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

This is a good situation to involve tyler@ebay 

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Yes I would appreciate it very much if tyler@ebay could look into this
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @ricarmic!

Hi @barnfindparts - From a general perspective, if a refund is issued voluntarily there isn't a way for us to find it in your favor, as the request is closed when a refund is given.  

I'm happy to have the calls reviewed and coaching given to teammates as necessary. I'll be in touch as I have more detail. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Don't send it through friends and family, send it as a payment for a service.

Not a service - for goods. If you choose a service, it is often not refundable. I learned the hard way...

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

So Josh finally called back. I guess 24 hours actually means 5 days in EBay time. He apparently “reviewed” the phone calls and all I got were more lies and a lousy $50 eBay credit that will take a “couple days to process”

What a joke...,
Message 30 of 35
latest reply

$50 to fund return label? sounds like a pretty nice offer to me.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Thanks Tyler@ebay for reviewing the calls and honoring what was promised even after multiple call service representatives wouldn't.
Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Vintage refers to the year of production, it does not mean old or used. Vintage can very well mean "new in box". If you bought a new iPhone this year it would be a phone of 2019 Vintage.
Message 33 of 35
latest reply

eBay will always throw the seller under the bus in situations like this. I have been ripped off by buyers and eBay does absolutely nothing when you file a complaint.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!​​​​​​​
-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 35 of 35
latest reply