Shipping posters. How to get calculated shippng?

Hi folks -  Just wondering what dimensions are needed to get the shipping calculator to work.  I'm using expedited to Canada/USA as tracked is to small for some posters.  There seems to be no option to enter mailing tubes.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Mailing tubes are $1.50, I believe. Add them as a Handling  Charge. Your buyer will not see this as a line item.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Note that with Calculated Shipping your customer sees the Counter Rate that is on the above link.  They do not see your actual shipping cost, ie no discounts no added handling charges.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Length in cm's by diameter in cm's x diameter in cm's and then final packed weight. Best to use the smallest size tube you can get away with to reduce on costs. There is now a surcharge for shipping tubes of 2.00 as of July 15, 2019 . See attached guide. The only way you could bypass that would be to use a 4 sided shipping box. Please remember any barcodes would need to be easily scanned.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/2_Pricing/Parcel_surcharge-e.pdf

-Lotz

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the info, but my question is how to get the shipping to show. It says unavailable, please enter valid postal code.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I can't get any shipping info to show. It says to enter a valid postal code. Buyers won't get any info. I don't know what dimensions ebay wants as nothing seems to work.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If you are using your own postal code and it's not accepting that for some reason, try K1A 0A6 (House of Commons in Ottawa)  or your city hall.

Sometimes that works.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks but I don't think my code is causing the problem. Any other type of item I list shows shipping fine. However on posters when I enter 90210 to check if the shipping to the USA is working I get the shipping can't be calculated message. Not sure what dimensions should be entered for posters as nothing seems to work.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Have you tried entering a longer dimension? If you are shipping small packet it's flat rate anyway (+ shipping tube surcharge) so dimension shouldn't affect your shipping cost. The shipping tube is probably not "wide" enough for the dimensions.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:

Hi folks -  Just wondering what dimensions are needed to get the shipping calculator to work.  I'm using expedited to Canada/USA as tracked is to small for some posters.  There seems to be no option to enter mailing tubes.

I don't remember seeing tubes as an option for eBay calculated shipping.

Expedited USA size minimums are 21 x 14 x 0.5 cm, so you are going to need to fudge the second number for the ebay calculator to meet that minimum Expedited USA size plus add a surcharge for the tube cost extra. Maximum length is 2m (200cm).

Small Packet USA and Tracked Packet USA minimums are 14 x  9 x 0.1 cm, with no tube surcharge. Maximum length of 60cm.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp#1395540

-..-

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The shipping tube option is available using Canadapost online shipping services (SNAPSHIP etc)  or in-person at a depot.  (Possibly an oversight for this not to be built into the shipping calculator or Shippo/Paypal Shipping.) If you needed to cover for this the only way I can see would be building it into your handling charge. Canadapost's preference would be a 3 sided shipping container. See photo attached.

• Mailing Tube min = 100 mm x 23 mm x 23 mm
    Your item's largest dimensions are the dimensions of the smallest box within which the item can be contained.

• Labels for cylindrical tubes must be affixed lengthwise so that the sides of the barcode point towards the ends of the tube in order to facilitate barcode scanning. The delivery guarantee does not apply to cylindrical mailing tubes. The use of triangular or rectangular mailing tubes is highly recommended.

• Customers using Ship Online can print their own shipping label. Otherwise, customers must bring their items to the post office to obtain a barcoded shipping label.

Affix the address shipping label to the item, ensuring that all the following requirements are met:

• the label must be affixed flat to the largest side of the item so as to ensure the barcode can be easily scanned

• the label must not be covered with a reflective material (i.e. tape) and must not be folded over an edge of the parcel

• the label and if applicable other shipping documentation can be inserted into a plastic pouch (labelope)

• a barcode must be of good quality so that it can be read by postal equipment.

• A surcharge will be applied to mailing tubes that are cylindrical in shape. The surcharge does not apply to items shipped using Priority™ Worldwide, Small Packet™ and Tracked Packet™ services.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

• Mailing Tube min = 100 mm x 23 mm x 23 mm
    Your item's largest dimensions are the dimensions of the smallest box within which the item can be contained.

Canada Post tube minimums are different for USA and International: 210 x 45 x 45 mm

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp#1395540

-..-

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thanks, @ypdc_dennis ,  I   missed that tidbit during my research. This does add to frustration for sellers that it can be an expensive endeavor to mail a low valued poster due to their dimensional math if you were to use their recommendation of triangular packaging or this "bonus" surcharge if you chose to use a shipping tube.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to thank you all for responding and offering all your helpful advice. I tweaked a few numbers in the dimensions and things seem to be working ok now. It's been years since I tried listing any posters and I'd forgotten what a pain it can be. Your help made it much easier. Thanks again!
Message 13 of 13
latest reply