Should I sell it

Hello, I am a new eBay Seller based in Canada and listed a couple of unused items at home to test eBay out. So I have 0 feedback yet. I just got an offer for a pair of shoes I listed. But I am very confused about the buyer and want to know how likely it could be a problematic transaction.

I listed for 49.99 and got an offer for 49. which sounds weird because it is only a 0.99 discount buyer is asking.

The buyer is based in the United State but the account is just registered today with 0 feedback. It feels quite strange since the likelihood of a new person registering an account and buying my stuff immediately is quite small in my opinion. Just want to get some advice about what is my best move. Should I decline the offer or should I ship it out and took videos about it? I feel like the risk of the buyer saying he/she received an empty box is quite high... or might threaten me to leave negative feedback.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Should I sell it

be aware as a new seller with 0 feedback, you will be a target for scammers. Now perhaps this new buyer is genuine, perhaps not.

One of the best pieces of advice for new sellers is to set up your listings with "Immediate Payment required"> that way no buyer/potential buyer can "buy" the item without actually paying immediately...

Taking videos/pictures really means nothing...eBay has a history of ignoring that type of "evidence" when a dispute arises with buyers. eBay's money back guarantee takes care of buyers both good and bad. Returns/NO returns> does not equate to NO refunds...Sellers are at a huge disadvantage these days so every precaution needs to be taken in advance of listing items on eBay.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

I have to agree with mrdutch, a new seller just joining today does not seem like a good idea and could easily be a scammer.

I think you should decline (you don't have to give them a reason) but I also hope if you are just starting out that you will be sending the items with tracking (and have included the shipping charge in your listing!). If not you can still change your listing as long as the item as not sold (or you haven't accepted the offer). That is the only proof you will have that item was delivered, whether for this buyer or any other. Proof of delivery is of utmost importance for new sellers, funds may be held until then.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

There are multiple reasons why a Zero buyer shows up, they could simply be using their credit card via a guest account. If their ebay id is gibberish, that is what is happening. (I have some buyers who are ALWAYS zero with a new id and have purchased many times from me).

It looks like you are using tracking if that is the case it is good and advisable to do this when you are new and it greatly reduces your risk. I'm no shoes/clothing expert but it doesn't look like what they bought is as high risk as collectible sneakers kind of stuff.

In the grand scheme of things we might be forgetting to note that that to the buyer you also are a "ZERO" seller and theoretically a potential risk to them as well.....

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

If you're worried, decline the offer and block the bidder. I often get buyers who have just created an account and really haven't had any issues, but the weird offer could definitely be a red flag.

If you do ship it out, you should make sure it's both tracked AND has signature required.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

You appear to have accepted the offer, but you don't have a price for shipping to the USA.

The buyer should be notified of what it will cost to ship (Tracked Parcel is good, Small Packet is not really tracked but slightly cheaper).

The shipping is NEVER a part of the Offer, since in theory it is based on a payment to a third party.

A pair of hiking boots could easily cost you $30 or more to ship.

Revise your other listings to use Calculated Shipping.

That could be where the scam fiddle lies.

And again, No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

byto253
Community Member

Couple of suggestions, find some super cheap stuff either digital media or qtips, etc. from China and buy a few things to get rid of big feedback goose egg.  High volume sellers from Asia usually have auto feedback that gets filled in as soon as payment is made.   Invest 10 bucks and get 5+ feedback going.  

As you are in Calgary, check out Chitchats for shipping, they have 3 drop off locations in Calgary.  Canada Post is not your only option.  For many items, particulary small items or smaller but heavy items you can have some very large shipping savings.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

US shipping is 19.99 on that listing but I'm sure that a pair of boots will cost more than that to ship to the US.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

If they have a Chit Chats location near them, they can likely ship it for around $20. Canada Post, not a chance.

Normally, zero feedback buyers aren't really a problem. It depends on what you sell, but it is usually someone who googled for an item and found your eBay listing. 

In this situation, I would be very cautious because you are a low feedback seller, and while a pair of $50 hiking boots isn't exactly the same as a pair of Yeezies (is that what they are called?), shoes are a high risk category. Scammers are more likely to target inexperienced sellers, since those sellers are less likely to know eBay's Buyer/Seller protection policies. So there are loopholes they can use to scam you. For example, they might pay for the item, and then message you and give you a reason why they need it sent to a different address. Most new sellers would fall for this, because that's not an unreasonable request, and surely eBay would side with them since the seller messaged them on eBay's system and asked, so there is proof...nope. To qualify for seller protection, you have to ship to the same address the buyer provided at checkout (with tracking). This means that if a new seller falls for this, the buyer will open an item not received case after receiving the item, and even know tracking shows it as delivered, they will get a full refund. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Should I sell it

They don't need signature required for anything under eBay's required amount (I think it's $750, but I might be wrong). It is a waste of money to pay extra for it for a $50 item. The only thing signature required prevents in the case of a US order would be an item left on a porch. From an eBay seller protection POV, once it is marked as delivered, the seller is in the clear. Additionally, buyers have the option in the tracking page for both USPS and Canada Post to have an item sent to their post office. So there is already a mechanism for buyer's to ensure their packages are not left unattended. 

For an item just below the threshold, maybe they pay for it anyways as a courtesy to the buyer to ensure nothing could go wrong, but it would be way overkill for a $50 item.

If this is a scammer, they will probably ask the seller to send it to a different address. Or, they will wait until they receive it, and they will open up a IND return in hopes that the seller cannot figure out how to provide a US return label from Canada, or doesn't understand that they are required to provide a label. 

There isn't really anything that a newer seller can do, other than sell things to build up feedback, learn the policies, and hope for the best. Someone starting at 0 feedback selling shoes or electronics is probably going to get scammed at one point, unfortunately. Their low feedback and lack of account history makes them a target. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply