Technical error sending invoices to states where sales tax is added to the invoice. What's up?

karsjk
Community Member

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Technical error sending invoices to states where sales tax is added to the invoice. What's up?

What is the error?

Are you able to send the invoice?

Did you change browsers and try again?

Usually eBay sends the invoice and you don't have to.

EBay also adds the Internet Sales Tax. If you try to do it, that may be the problem. For sellers the IST is a passthrough that we never touch.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Re: Technical error sending invoices to states where sales tax is added to the invoice. What's up?

For the past week or so in trying to send manual invoices (2 or 3 times In Chrome) I have been getting the error message below. It may or may not be related. The other time you could get a message similar occurs when the customer has already in paid or is in the process of completing payment and it hasn't posted. In my cases, I waited a bit and payment arrived.

-Lotz

Invoice Error Message.JPG

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I get the same error message using Firefox. It appears to be another ebay glitch, not browser specific. If you check your email it will show the invoice has actually been sent to the buyer. Wish ebay would fix these things that actually need to be fixed, instead of "improving" things that already work fine.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@karsjk @forester_studios 

Appears this is still a random issue floating about and attaching itself to some listings. See messages above. Had a customer request an invoice for a purchased item. When I went to sent it only shows letter rate to USA which was never offered. It should actually display US Air and Tracked by default. Also of note tax field is blank. Measurements are correct on original listing. Comes up as invalid zip code.

tyler@ebay 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Problem seems to show itself in both Edge and Chrome. Invoice did send(EDGE) but does not display/include state tax.

-Lotz
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Edge Firefox and Chrome?

tyler@ebay 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I've been sending invoices and combined invoices all weekend on eBay.COM without issue. I was using Internet Explorer.

It must be a eBay.CA issue.....   

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I have been having issues with sending revised invoices for approximately 2 months on dot ca. In the past when it didn't work in Chrome which is what I normally use I sent in Edge with no problems.  Now the error message in both.

Has anyone ever seen detailed  instructions recently released on sending revised invoices after the new way Sales Tax was collected. Its not covered in Sending Revised Invoices help pages anywhere on dot ca.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/sending-invoices-buyers?id=4139&st=12&pos=1&query=Send...

-Lotz

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Ebay adjusts the tax amount on revised invoices so what sort of instructions do we need?

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

An invoice that works without an error message when we try to revise it. See additional posts.

The revised unpaid invoice I made 3 hours ago displays in Sellers Hub without tax. This would be the same invoice the buyer would have received when I modified.

-Lotz

PS. Nowhere in the help pages does it say anything about eBay adjusting the tax amount.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

It’s been mentioned on the boards that eBay will revise the tax If needed.  Until the buyer actually checks out we don’t know for sure where the item will be shipped to, plus we don’t know the rules for each state so we aren’t required to ever enter the tax.  

But even though we don’t have to do anything regarding the state tax, I suppose it would be helpful if eBay did say something to that effect in the help pages so that sellers don’t think that they have to worry about it.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

This issue has either returned or was never fixed. Believe it was reported elsewhere in another discussion.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - @pjcdn2005 is correct in the way invoices work to buyers in US states where we collect sales tax. Any amount or state you input into the invoice is cosmetic and wouldn't override the amount collected when the buyer goes to checkout. 

While our goal is to make needing to send an invoice unnecessary, there are still cases where it's something you may want to do. When it comes to the error mentioned here, I'll need some additional details:

Is this happening just in chrome?

What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to address this?

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

See post 7. Yes, in chrome. Also it may default to only one shipping option when a multiple have been chosen. I thought it was resolved so I wasn't concerned about it. It does appear to eventually send but you still see the error message as noted above. Combined shipping for multiple unit purchases is still the elephant in the room. For sellers they would like this option instead of the alternative....Having to send a  refunds after the fact.

On the flipside is it no longer possible to request a revised invoice when you make a purchase? 

-Lotz

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Sorry. Post 3.
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

As a note, as far as I know despite the error message, the buyer still gets the invoice.....

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Are the U. S. buyers paying for their purchase,  after ebay is adding on the taxes.  I have a couple of U. S.  buyers, saying that they are have problems paying using Paypal.   Then want to cancel the order. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

See posts 3 & 15. Forgot to tag you.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I have had this error message pop up a number of times when invoicing a US item. I always check the box which says copy me on the invoice so when I look at my email it has been sent despite the message. Not sure what is up with it. Kind of annoying but seems the invoices do actually get sent.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply