Trouble verifying phone number....

I used to sell but stopped when eBay wanted to verify a phone number. When I go to do so a blue box that says “text me” and a white one that says “call me” appear. Even if I click on “call me” it tells me a text was sent. I do not receive texts, it is a land line with no texting capabilities. What can I do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Trouble verifying phone number....

This was discussed at length recently.

Apparently eBay also allows email notifications for those who don't have cell phones (or don't want to use them) however, somehow the link that would allow that choice was never animated.

devon@ebay  has been notified of the problem and tells us he has passed a notice of the problem on to the worker bees.

Left hand meet right hand.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This is becoming a major problem everywhere. I just received an email from a major financial institution stating that they will now be sending two part verification only by text when I want to access my financial account. Well I do have a cell phone but only use it for emergencies (like ordering pizza when I am out shopping) and don't have it turned on otherwise. I use my landline at home, which is necessary because I can only get one bar on my cell at the best of times, we live in a valley surrounded by hills. I think? there is a way to text using my iPad but haven't seen the need to figure that out yet. Don't want to but may have to.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

This is becoming a major problem everywhere. I just received an email from a major financial institution stating that they will now be sending two part verification only by text when I want to access my financial account. Well I do have a cell phone but only use it for emergencies (like ordering pizza when I am out shopping) and don't have it turned on otherwise. I use my landline at home, which is necessary because I can only get one bar on my cell at the best of times, we live in a valley surrounded by hills. I think? there is a way to text using my iPad but haven't seen the need to figure that out yet. Don't want to but may have to.

@femmefan1946 

devon@ebay 

Total agreement. This is another one of those default assumptions being made by eBay. Not everyone has/uses a cell phone or owns a tablet. For a variety of reasons. And we know what happens when anyone assumes.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

There are a few clinics locally that "prefer" you wait in your vehicle for your appointment. They text you when it's your turn. This would be double wammy for anyone that doesn't have a cell / arrives on foot  or with public transit, when it's very cold out. They will make exceptions but that is a major song and dance.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

a major financial institution stating that they will now be sending two part verification only by text when I want to access my financial account.

This  is why the tellers at my banks know me by sight.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I agree that being able to order pizza while away from home is definitely a good reason for having a cell phone!  😂

Is there a way of getting texts on an iPad if you don't have one with cellular capabiliies? I do have cellular on mine and get texts but I think that they have to ge from another cellphone. I've never gotten one of those automatic verification numbers on it. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

a major financial institution stating that they will now be sending two part verification only by text when I want to access my financial account.

This  is why the tellers at my banks know me by sight.

Oh, not a bank, a financial institution that handles investments.  Plus they moved about 2000 kms away from me.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply