What is the way to do this? Refunding for combined shipping.

Newbie seller here. Sold a few items. More than happy to combine shipping.  Tell people in the listing, if you buy multiple items from me, please wait for the invoice before paying. One person actually did that!

Alas, another bought two items a few hours apart.  I'm thrilled they sold.

But he paid for each, full shipping.

He's in Canada and I know putting them in the same box will be a few bucks at most more than the shipping for one!  Total price of both items, $80C. Total shipping, $37.C.  Can probably ship them both for $21.C. Used CP's shipping calculator. So the refund is about $15-16.

Q. Now that he has paid full shipping for both, what is the way to only charge him the combined shipping?

A - do a full refund for both, asking him to agree (so I get seller fees back on the shipping) then invoice him for both with the new shipping? does this set up the seller for a defect?

B - send him a personal paypal payment for the difference between the 

combined shipping and total of what he paid? (somehow this doesn't seem right to me, I still get charged fees on separate shipping, also what if he has a problem with the items and disputes? this would be outside of ebay so to speak)

C - send them in 2 boxes, get 2 track numbers, so no refund - he paid for it

D - send them in 1 box, keep the extra shipping. ie take the money and run. ok I'm joking.

-Signed, Newbie seller confusion. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

E.  Figure out what you will pay in eBay fees on the refunded amount. So if  the difference in shipping was $12 you will be paying $1.20 in fees on that so subtract that from the refund.  Go into that transaction in your Paypal account, click on refund this payment, change the refund amount to $10.80 and go on from there.  You can put a note there to the buyer saying that it is a partial shipping refund.  The refund will then be associated with that purchase.

Keep in mind that shipping can also include your shipping supplies so you don't need to charge the exact amount that you charged for.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

About D....some people don't refund unless asked by the buyer to do so.  For an amount that large, I would definitely refund a portion of it.

It is not always possible for a buyer to ask for an invoice as the cart does not always work and in some cases ebay requires immediate payment when a buyer clicks on buy it now.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I get the option of asking for immediate payment in the listing form, and click No. I ask buyers who are buying multiple items, to use BIN but NOT click Pay, then wait for the invoice. It worked like a charm with one, but another just went ahead and paid twice. Funny thing, he never even asked me to put them in one box or for the refund. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Unfortunately, this happens much to often. Once payment has been made the items cannot be combined on a single invoice.

The best course of action is;

1. In your PayPal transaction summary locate the transactions which will be combined in a single shipment.
2. Click on one of the transactions to open the invoice and payment details.
3. Scroll down to locate the refund link, click on it.
4. A refund utility opens, click inside the refund amount field, enter the amount you wish to refund, follow the prompt, you will be asked to confirm the refund amount.
5. Before proceeding to confirm the refund note there is the option to compose an explanatory note to the buyer.
6. Once, the refund has been confirmed PayPal refunds a portion of their transaction fee.
7. Within a few minutes the eBay sales record will be adjusted to reflect the amount refunded so wait awhile before printing the packing slip.
8. EBay fees are not automatically refunded, if it's worth the time, call CS to request that the fees be credited back to your account.

Refunding excess shipping charges after the fact is time consuming and costly. If possible, it is best to setup combined shipping rules in your site preferences.
Flat rate rules function well. Calculated shipping rules are difficult to manage and are often not practical depending on the type of merchandise sold.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

any times, i have just included the refund,  in cash in an envelope. inside the package, with a note, refund for over payment on shipping. Only on tracked packages of course. Customers are usually very happy about it.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

8. EBay fees are not automatically refunded, if it's worth the time, call CS to request that the fees be credited back to your account.

OTOH-- It's up to the seller how much is refunded.

So if the cost is $2.50 less than the buyer was charged, and the eBay shipping FVF on that was $0.25, the seller could refund $2.25.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply