sold item as for part not working, return requested because its not working...

hi, so i have many cellphone broken that i sell for parts or not working.  ebay seam like the right place for that...

i think its clearly stated... broken, no return for parts etc, i dont see how i can state it more clear..

the thing is i always got many return request because item is not working, and i never have option to refuse the return, i called ebay like i read here but ebay told me since they open a return as not as described, i dont have option to refuse it i have to accept the return and send them a label!

he knew its was broken, im sure they tried to fix it, couldnt and just decide to send it back.

i dont have have other options?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: sold item as for part not working, return requested because its not working...

hlmacdon
Community Member

@mc-bain wrote:

i dont have have other options?  

Unfortunately not. No matter what policy you set buyers will always be able to make a return. Realistically that has always been the case. What has changed this year is ebay made a policy decision to no longer arbitrate any buyer/seller disputes over the reason for a return. All a buyer has to do now is open a non-remorse reason for the return (ie not as described) and you are on the hook for return shipping. This was a purposeful marketing decision by an executive as part of eBay's effort to become Amazon.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Re: sold item as for part not working, return requested because its not working...

And of course, the ones who will lose are the buyers, because sellers will start to build in Cookie Jar Insurance, a little extra to cover our costs in cases of refund requests.

Remember you can refuse the return (and not pay return shipping) but you must make refunds.

If one 'as is' phone in ten is being refunded, you have to raise your prices to cover one tenth of the cost of the shipping.

And  that's shipping both ways, since you will never see that money again.

So if you are selling a phone now for $25 with a $10 shipping charge, and every tenth phone is being returned and refunded, you have to take the $20 in shipping charges and spread it across all the phones you sell, increasing their cost to $27. *

And when you get your phone back re-list it promptly.

Will that kill your business?

Only you can know that.

*OT- Actually it might sell better at $29.95 as is, with Best Offer set at any BO over $27. This also gives you a chance to assess the customer's Feedback Left for Others.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Another thought-- it's usually not a good idea to buy and sell on the same ID. We can have several IDs each backed by a different credit card. All can feed the same Paypal account.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply