Problems with Shippo

I am always getting this message with Shippo: "The sum of your customs items is higher than your total parcel weight. Please increase the weight of the parcel or decrease the customs items' weight."

What does it mean? Weight is the same! And when I decrease the customs items, it is still not working. 😞  I wanted to compare prices with SnapShip, but since Shippo does not work, I went with Canada Post's service.

Also... is this true? "You must include one signed original and two copies of a commercial invoice along with your label, unless shipping with USPS."

I've never done this ever. New rule?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Problems with Shippo

Hi lady.stark,

This is one of the problems I tried to identify in my post (among others).  Try to make the sum of the individual items on the customs declaration page less than the total weight of the package.

The CN22 portion of the shipping label is your customs declaration if you are shipping to a NAFTA country.  A separate declaration is not required.

For the second part, I always put a invoice copy in a pouch on the exterior of the package.  I have never been asked for more in 15 years of doing this.

All the Best,

Fred

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

Also... is this true? "You must include one signed original and two copies of a commercial invoice along with your label, unless shipping with USPS."

I could be wrong but I don't think that it is new but it doesn't seem to be enforced.  believe that some countries want an invoice/shipping label in that pouch but I have never done that and have never been asked for one.   I do include a packing slip inside the package.  

For the weight...was this for more than 1 item? 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

I don't know if this is the problem but if you have 2 items for a total oackage weight of 500gr you would put each item at 250gr or less.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

The CN22 portion of the shipping label is your customs declaration if you are shipping to a NAFTA country. A separate declaration is not required.

I'm confused about the mention of NAFTA.  I've always just entered the customs info on the customs area of the label.....NAFTA country or not.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

It was just one item. That is why I do not understand why it doesn't work when I enter a weight less than the total weight... Total weight was 190 grams. I entered 170, 150, nothing works...

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

A customs declaration is a customs declaration - the Harmonized System to classify traded products is good in all countries.  It has nothing to do with NAFTA, a free trade agreement signed by Canada, USA and Mexico which governs duties and tariffs, and may require other paperwork such as Certificates of Origin.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

I have a tendency to think that the total weight of my items is the total weight of the parcel.

Forgetting the packaging.

I suspect that the program is set up to notice that.

Just reduce the weight of one or more of your items. The shipper needs to know the package weight so that should be accurate. They really don't care what is the weight of the stuff that makes up that weight.

On the Harmonized number-- I keep a note in the back of my book (I'm old and love paper records) with the numbers for my most common items. Saves a lot of time.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

@lady.stark wrote:

It was just one item. That is why I do not understand why it doesn't work when I enter a weight less than the total weight... Total weight was 190 grams. I entered 170, 150, nothing works...

Was your weight entered in kilograms?

As in 0.17kg or 0.15kg

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming it. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:

Was your weight entered in kilograms?

As in 0.17kg or 0.15kg

I chose the grams option first. But after that, tried many variables, nothing worked. So I gave up. Would have to try it again for another package to see if I have the same problem. But I have none to ship at the moment.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

I found Shippo to be very glitchy and ended up revoking the application's permission from my eBay and PayPal account. 

It's much easier to setup an account directly with the postal company, purchase your own labels and paste the tracking information to eBay for the sold item.

I did give Shippo a legitimate chance, but its usability and functionality came up very short.  The little bit of shipping discount is not worth the trouble and pain for creating a basic shipping label and/or for shipping between Canada and the USA :>(

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

Be sure to contact Shippo Customer Support with your problems & issues with Shippo, while they are in an accommodating mood. From my little bit of experience with Shippo customer service, they are all ears right now and want to hear from eBay sellers so they can address our concerns as best as they can within their site's capabilities. They are doing their best to make changes for this integration with eBay.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

The same thing happened with me. I tried changing it probably about 10 times. Deleting and re-adding, editing, etc. Kept getting the same error message. Finally gave up and just took it to Canada Post.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

I believe the problem lies in the connection to your eBay listing and the information given to Shippo. If you do not use calculated shipping and do not have any associated weight to your listing's shipping on eBay, Shippo will read the weight as 0.00 KG. After inputting dimensions on Shippo the preview of the sold item in the left hand corner will still show 0.00 KG as the weight. When you move onto the customs declaration and input the weight again it is not referencing the weight and dimension you have inputted into Shippo, it is using the eBay listing's weight (which is 0.00 KG if you use flat rate shipping). I believe the discrepancy in the eBay weight, the Shippo parcel weight, and the declared weight is that the Shippo website is giving a weight error message because it's using eBay weight instead of the information you give to Shippo.
Message 15 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

That is a very good theory. 

I use calculated shipping for everything that requires the creation of a postage label so the only time I get that error is when the Customs information is more accurate (i.e. lower) than the general weight carried over from the ebay listing itself. Good catch. 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

This thread is from July which is about the time that ebay switched to Shippo so most of the glitches seem to be fixed.   I never use calculated shipping and haven't had a problem printing a label.  I didn't go back and read the July posts but one thing that I did notice is that if I entered .459 kg on the shipping label and then tried to enter the same thing in the customs area, it would show as .46 in the customs area which would of course be more than the original amount entered and I would get an error message.  Once I realized that, I stopped entering 3 numbers in the label area or else just made sure that the weight in the customs area was a bit less.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

ZOMBIE THREAD from 2017

The problem with zombie threads is that the problems and advice may no longer be accurate or up to date.

@happy_pigeon

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

Well here I am today (Dec 20) having the same problem as the original poster, with one item.

No matter what I put in (and it won't allow you to put in zero) it always says ...

"The Sum Of Your Customs Items Is Higher Than Your Total Parcel Weight. Please Increase The Weight Of The Parcel Or Decrease The Customs Items' Weight."

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Problems with Shippo

What is the weight of your parcel?
Message 20 of 24
latest reply