August 1st 2018 Weekly session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone -

Apologies for keeping you waiting for answers from Andrea for so long. I underestimated how busy I would be and the amount of work that would accumulate while I was out of office.

The good news is that I'm catching up slowly and was able to get answers compiled and posted a moment ago.

I'm opening the chat up for you to leave questions that I'll address tomorrow!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Hi Tyler:

When sales are slow, I work hard to improve my listings for higher visibility. I use your traffic reports to determine whether my efforts are working. 

Traffic reports are currently "stuck" at July 18th.  How can I accurately judge whether I'm on the right path, if you don't provide current data for listing impressions, page views, and sales conversion stats. 

This has been an on-going problem for some time. If you are unable to provide current data, please remove the functionality until the bugs are completely worked out.  

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I was very surprised to read this response regarding the pictures issue:

"In terms of the recent photo issue, I apologize that you have had to deal with this situation. While we have identified and corrected the issue, the delay in communication was unacceptable; while we do our best to prevent issues arising in the future, I also commit to managing communication better in the future."

I bolded and underlined the aspect that is incorrect.

I still have over 300 items now (assuming more were added a few days ago) across both .COM and .CA missing all but the initial picture, as I assume does everyone else who didn't go and fix them all manually. (I actually still have 6 that are totally pictureless the partial fix did not work on them).

So saying that the issue was partially corrected would be correct. I guess this also is an indication that there isn't any more work being done on identifying if it will continue to happen as appeared to be the case in late July, or if any tools will be provided to help fix the remaining affected items.

I also noted in a different response that ebay contacted the affected sellers. I guess they contacted all the affected sellers except me. I did call the problem in myself to see if the CSRs were aware that more items appeared to be affected late in July and to ask them if there was a tool that would identify affected items (the scan does not work now because the initial picture is there so it counts as one picture). The only way to identify the affected items would be to manually go into every listing to check (I have over 3,800). There is no tool nor did it seem like there was any work underway to create one.

So unfortunately, to my mind, this particular situation continues to be mishandled....far from being corrected.

I really don't know what else to say aside from the fact that I remain very disappointed.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

I think for a lot of us there has been some major frustration as of late with features that worked for us in the past and then having them suddenly disappear and then sugar coating it as an improvement. When you cut to the chase, those modifications really are not  improvements.  They're roadblocks to our selling. Very sure we are all aware of recent examples that have affected  a lot of us to various extremes. Missing photos, removing watchers, losing postage discounts, assorted calculated postage issues and my personal favourite, the new overly generous returns policy, etc.

Next, when we note something is broken, then pass it on, and its acknowledged as a problem/glitch,  there is a very slow response to fix so it works as it should, with no one seemingly held accountable and then no sort of reimbursement for our time to repair something that was not personally caused by us.  It would be similar to going to a financial institution to deposit funds and then being told by the bank, sorry, we don't know where your monies are, but we'll get back to you..... Eventually. Not good and not a solution!!! Sorry, best comparison I could think of!!!

We depend on Ebay's tools to work reliably and consistently. If we spend a good portion of time trying to fix these problems ourselves, it takes away from our time to effectively list and then in turn, causing us to waste a large amount of money in fees that we are held accountable for in the process. Personally, the best enhancement I can think of is fee reductions in ALL general categories, to help us to make up for all this recent and ongoing grief.  Not limited time selling offers that may, but probably more likely, will NOT pay off for the vast majority of us. As for the most recent seller announced fee reduction, it will only apply to a very limited few very high end sellers!!! Not the bottom end sellers trying to make ends meet and keep the lights on!!!

Hope I am not out of place with my comments and concerns, but I believe our frustration has past our chance for a number of us to sell profitably and there are few signs of it improving going forward.

-CM

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I'm happy the hear that eBay is taking steps to ensure that issues like the missing GTC images don't happen again, BUT how is eBay going to COMPENSATE SELLERS for all the extra work their going to have to put in to correct a problem caused by eBay. 

I WANT TO KNOW HOW EBAY IS GOING TO COMPENSATE SELLERS FOR THE LONG TEDIOUS  HOURS THAT THEIR GOING TO HAVE TO INVEST IN TO RESTORE THEIR IMAGES! 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have to chime in with my dissatisfaction over the disappearance of the GTC photos.

Also, thank you for taking our questions to Andrea last week. If I understood her reply to mine correctly, we’ll never have the current version of eBay.com’s Promotions Manager on eBay.ca. At least I know not to keep holding my breath for it and hoping it will come, and can plan otherwise accordingly. So, that’s valuable to know. Thanks.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Hello,

For the past 3 weeks or so I have been unable to access my wish list.  You are still able to add items to your wish list however the link under my ebay is no where to be found.  I used to be able to access it if I went my ebay and then summary but it is not available there anymore either. 

Right now my work around is to add something to the wish list and then I can click on the link Added to your wish list off of the page of the item I just added.

Is there any time frame on when this will be fixed or is the wish list being phased out?  The wish list is where I keep everything that I eventually want to purchase.  I use the watch list for business purposes only so the wish list is important to me.

Thank you for your time.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Is it me or did there seem to be a level of overall disconnect in the questions asked versus the answers received in last weeks "Ask Andrea Anything?"

As previously mentioned and mentioned and mentioned, what about compensation to those who were affected? 200 free listings and you have 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 or no days to list, depending on when (or if) you received an email that may or may not have been sent to everyone. Really?

Next, copy and paste of my "store" question from last week, followed by the response. Feel free to chime in on this one.

"Would eBay Canada consider adding another store level?  Perhaps for 5,000 listings?   I have no need for 10,000, never did and most likely never will. Seems like my per listing cost doubled from 3 to 6 cents with that increase.

Oh yes, there are a few perks involved however, the only one that has any worth to me is the "upgraded" c/s.   I have zero need for the (less and less as time goes on) choice of  (in my view) overpriced boxes/tissues/tape. I would be more than happy foregoing the $210 materials credit per quarter in exchange for a $100 - $110 store credit per quarter.

Perhaps a price-point of $229 or so, monthly, for 5,000 listings?  My store subscription/renewal comes due in a few months and I would prefer keeping my listings here on eBay.  I appreciate you taking the time to come here, read the posted messages."

The response, below. 

"We do anticipate launching the additional store tiers – Starter and Enterprise – that were launched on eBay.com earlier this year. In the interim, if Canadian sellers want to take advantage of the benefits of an Anchor store, they can subscribe on eBay.com."

Perhaps questions got somehow mixed up and the reply was to a completely different question/inquiry?  Or.....?

I would best utilize a store offering 5,000 listings.

Starter store suggestion gives 100 monthly listings. 

Enterprise store suggestion gives 1000,000 monthly listings.

I currently subscribe to an Anchor store. On .ca so what "advantages" would there be by me subscribing to a Anchor store on .com. 

What am I missing here?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@renata6 wrote:

Hi Tyler:

When sales are slow, I work hard to improve my listings for higher visibility. I use your traffic reports to determine whether my efforts are working. 

Traffic reports are currently "stuck" at July 18th.  How can I accurately judge whether I'm on the right path, if you don't provide current data for listing impressions, page views, and sales conversion stats. 

This has been an on-going problem for some time. If you are unable to provide current data, please remove the functionality until the bugs are completely worked out.  

Hi @renata6 - that's an understandable request. I will make sure that this is given to the appropriate team.

There are several technical reports already filed noting the lack of updates since the 18th. I'll add your name to the tickets.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I was very surprised to read this response regarding the pictures issue:

"In terms of the recent photo issue, I apologize that you have had to deal with this situation. While we have identified and corrected the issue, the delay in communication was unacceptable; while we do our best to prevent issues arising in the future, I also commit to managing communication better in the future."

I bolded and underlined the aspect that is incorrect.

I still have over 300 items now (assuming more were added a few days ago) across both .COM and .CA missing all but the initial picture, as I assume does everyone else who didn't go and fix them all manually. (I actually still have 6 that are totally pictureless the partial fix did not work on them).

So saying that the issue was partially corrected would be correct. I guess this also is an indication that there isn't any more work being done on identifying if it will continue to happen as appeared to be the case in late July, or if any tools will be provided to help fix the remaining affected items.

I also noted in a different response that ebay contacted the affected sellers. I guess they contacted all the affected sellers except me. I did call the problem in myself to see if the CSRs were aware that more items appeared to be affected late in July and to ask them if there was a tool that would identify affected items (the scan does not work now because the initial picture is there so it counts as one picture). The only way to identify the affected items would be to manually go into every listing to check (I have over 3,800). There is no tool nor did it seem like there was any work underway to create one.

So unfortunately, to my mind, this particular situation continues to be mishandled....far from being corrected.

I really don't know what else to say aside from the fact that I remain very disappointed.

Hi @ricarmic - it's perfectly reasonable to feel frustrated and disappointed in this situation. The root problem of the technical issue was identified and corrected in June. The delay in communication regarding it is definitely something that could have been handled much better, and is feedback that is being heard loud and clear.

Reports of the issue resurfacing last week were investigated, and none of them were found to be a recurrence. In the majority of situations the reports were from members not realizing their listings were impacted. Another group were from members who had used cached image URLs to re-upload images but as the cached image URL expired, so did the photo.

The clean up from this particular issue is not something that is going to be simple, to be sure. You're correct that we don't have a readily available tool for you to use to identify which of your listings was impacted, but that doesn't mean you are without options. If you contact our CS teams via social media (Twitter or Facebook) they can work to help identify listings that could have been affected.

When it comes to being contacted, that majority of members have been. If you haven't received an email as yet you can expect that in the coming days. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

I think for a lot of us there has been some major frustration as of late with features that worked for us in the past and then having them suddenly disappear and then sugar coating it as an improvement. When you cut to the chase, those modifications really are not  improvements.  They're roadblocks to our selling. Very sure we are all aware of recent examples that have affected  a lot of us to various extremes. Missing photos, removing watchers, losing postage discounts, assorted calculated postage issues and my personal favourite, the new overly generous returns policy, etc.

Next, when we note something is broken, then pass it on, and its acknowledged as a problem/glitch,  there is a very slow response to fix so it works as it should, with no one seemingly held accountable and then no sort of reimbursement for our time to repair something that was not personally caused by us.  It would be similar to going to a financial institution to deposit funds and then being told by the bank, sorry, we don't know where your monies are, but we'll get back to you..... Eventually. Not good and not a solution!!! Sorry, best comparison I could think of!!!

We depend on Ebay's tools to work reliably and consistently. If we spend a good portion of time trying to fix these problems ourselves, it takes away from our time to effectively list and then in turn, causing us to waste a large amount of money in fees that we are held accountable for in the process. Personally, the best enhancement I can think of is fee reductions in ALL general categories, to help us to make up for all this recent and ongoing grief.  Not limited time selling offers that may, but probably more likely, will NOT pay off for the vast majority of us. As for the most recent seller announced fee reduction, it will only apply to a very limited few very high end sellers!!! Not the bottom end sellers trying to make ends meet and keep the lights on!!!

Hope I am not out of place with my comments and concerns, but I believe our frustration has past our chance for a number of us to sell profitably and there are few signs of it improving going forward.

-CM

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - I hear you loud and clear, and I definitely agree that there are improvements that can be made in our communication with you.

The truth of the matter is that I take your reports of technical issues very seriously and I work with the teams involved - who also take them seriously. While resolutions can take time, know that it's not meant to leave you feeling as though we are flippant or looking at it with a cavalier attitude.

I'm still working on getting some type of 'report status' board put together that can be simple to review and easy to maintain. Look for that in the coming month!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

I'm happy the hear that eBay is taking steps to ensure that issues like the missing GTC images don't happen again, BUT how is eBay going to COMPENSATE SELLERS for all the extra work their going to have to put in to correct a problem caused by eBay. 

I WANT TO KNOW HOW EBAY IS GOING TO COMPENSATE SELLERS FOR THE LONG TEDIOUS  HOURS THAT THEIR GOING TO HAVE TO INVEST IN TO RESTORE THEIR IMAGES! 

Hi @silverpinups - emails to impacted members went out last week and this week with details.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
I have to chime in with my dissatisfaction over the disappearance of the GTC photos.

Also, thank you for taking our questions to Andrea last week. If I understood her reply to mine correctly, we’ll never have the current version of eBay.com’s Promotions Manager on eBay.ca. At least I know not to keep holding my breath for it and hoping it will come, and can plan otherwise accordingly. So, that’s valuable to know. Thanks.

@momcqueen - happy to do so, I feel bad it took so long to get things put together and posted, thanks for your patience!

And I'm glad that Andrea was able to get you a more definitive answer than I've been able to in the past. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@edubb101 wrote:

Hello,

For the past 3 weeks or so I have been unable to access my wish list.  You are still able to add items to your wish list however the link under my ebay is no where to be found.  I used to be able to access it if I went my ebay and then summary but it is not available there anymore either. 

Right now my work around is to add something to the wish list and then I can click on the link Added to your wish list off of the page of the item I just added.

Is there any time frame on when this will be fixed or is the wish list being phased out?  The wish list is where I keep everything that I eventually want to purchase.  I use the watch list for business purposes only so the wish list is important to me.

Thank you for your time.

Hi @edubb101 - that's really frustrating! Your lists are still there, and you should be able to get there by going to My eBay>Watch List>Dropdown Menu>Wish List.

If you're still running into trouble please let me know!Make sure you click the down arrow, otherwise you stay on the 'Watchlist' screen forever.Make sure you click the down arrow, otherwise you stay on the 'Watchlist' screen forever.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 14
latest reply