June 20th 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi there! Hope you're well, and that the heat isn't getting to you too much.

As usual, get me your questions and I'll work on answers for you. 🙂

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hello Tyler,

Would it be possible to undo they change of removing See Other Items tab. Clicking on Store view if the seller does not have their items in categories makes it very difficult to locate items. Also, this is what buyers were used to. Suddenly they are forced to conduct their searches in what appears to be a more cumbersome method. (Yes, I do know they can click on feedback tab, but a number of buyers are not aware of that.) In speaking to several other sellers, general consensus was it should have never been removed in the first place.

Secondly is there any way to check the status of known issues. Currently the only way is to keep checking to see if something is "Still Broken" or "Suddenly Fixed" (In progress/Solved/Temporary solution, etc would all work). Unfortunately calling the help desk is not usually a good way for a seller to spend their valuable time. There doesn't seem to be a system of advising a seller when they open a case so they are basically left in the dark. A number of these issues of late are serious in nature and require solutions in a timely manner. The alternative would be relaying a temporary workaround.

Thanks,

CM

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

You’re (not) going to love my problem this week.

My friends and I have a long-standing joke about when things get rough financially, we’ll start selling our used underwear online for fun and profit.

Another friend suggested eBay for this. Of course, I replied it was strictly prohibited to sell used gotch although used socks are another story.

They replied with a screenshot containing search results for 324 listings for dirty panties and when I say DIRTY I mean *dirty* panties. Like, it’s not subtle what’s being sold.

Can you explain how listings like this make it past the bots? They’re not only selling disallowed merchandise but filthy descriptions and also raunchy photos are included.

Search ‘used panties’ if you dare. I assume the listings will have to be manually pulled.

Er.

Anyway, when I tell people I sell things on eBay, I don’t want them to envision that my product line includes dirty gotch so can you ask the guys to clean it up a little?

I’m no fun and now there’s no more to be had here.

Thanks,
Mo
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I agree, the "see other items" link needs to be restored for sellers who have store subscriptions. We are paying for our stores and it's eBay's responsibility to ensure we receive maximum exposure.  

Your answer to this inquiry was very weak at best. There is no confusion for buyers.... the "see other items" link has been there since probably day one (22+ years on eBay). 

Sellers with stores should have both, "visit store" and "see other items"  links and the buyer should have the option of choosing which link they prefer to browse with..... 

Sellers and eBay Corp. are supposed to be in a symbiotic relationship of ecommerce, yet eBay keeps putting up roadblocks that directly effect sellers and the buyers we serve. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Hello Tyler,

I am sure that I am not alone in getting hints and tips from ebay, suggesting that a lower price would help sell an item. I don't mind when I am way over priced, but when I'm the same price, or the only seller of an item, it tends to grate on me.

Also, since many of my items are not fast sellers, I get the message,

"eBay note: This listing hasn't had any sales in the last 16 months. Please consider revising it."  

If ebay wants me to revise, no problem, but why does the message still appear, after I have revised it. Many of the items have watchers on them, so I don't want to lose the watchers by relisting the item. Is that the only way to get rid of that message? Tia.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

i am in agreement with the   see other items button be left in place.. and the new search bar in our stores, should not be bringing up suggestions as you type in it, to leave our store and go else where....

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello Tyler,

I am sure that I am not alone in getting hints and tips from ebay, suggesting that a lower price would help sell an item. I don't mind when I am way over priced, but when I'm the same price, or the only seller of an item, it tends to grate on me.

"eBay note: This listing hasn't had any sales in the last 16 months. Please consider revising it."  

If ebay wants me to revise, no problem, but why does the message still appear, after I have revised it. Many of the items have watchers on them, so I don't want to lose the watchers by relisting the item. Is that the only way to get rid of that message? Tia.

This is also a source of massive annoyance to me. The 'no sales for 16 months' message litters my screen and tells me nothing I don't already know. Also, it's false as it implies that once you 'revise' your identified listing, the 'note' will disappear, and it does not.

Selling Manager used to allow for a Customization that let a seller 'hide' that message and the Seller Hub does not. I dislike it. I pay ebay for a service and I set my prices for my stock; implied pressure to lower my prices only serves to annoy me. I know what price I need to set to cover inventory, fees, the hefty price of 'free' shipping and now 'free returns' so until ebay buys me out and takes ownership directly of my stock, as far as I am concerned this note can simply make like the wind and blow. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Hello Tyler:

Please check the math error in the following invoice:

Ebay Invoice.gif

Notice that the line items do not add to the total. Sales tax on shipping has been missed. Can this be fixed soon? I've been sending these invoices to my customers.

Thanks very much!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Please flag esclyons message as helpful if you personally agree with making this change. Consider it an unofficial survey of sellers strong opinions regarding sentiment about this particular issue.

Thanks,

CM

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Would it be possible to undo they change of removing See Other Items tab. Clicking on Store view if the seller does not have their items in categories makes it very difficult to locate items. Also, this is what buyers were used to. Suddenly they are forced to conduct their searches in what appears to be a more cumbersome method. (Yes, I do know they can click on feedback tab, but a number of buyers are not aware of that.) In speaking to several other sellers, general consensus was it should have never been removed in the first place.

Secondly is there any way to check the status of known issues. Currently the only way is to keep checking to see if something is "Still Broken" or "Suddenly Fixed" (In progress/Solved/Temporary solution, etc would all work). Unfortunately calling the help desk is not usually a good way for a seller to spend their valuable time. There doesn't seem to be a system of advising a seller when they open a case so they are basically left in the dark. A number of these issues of late are serious in nature and require solutions in a timely manner. The alternative would be relaying a temporary workaround.

Thanks,

CM

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - I'm happy to share your feedback about this link removal. This change is designed to maximize participation in your store and allow buyers to browse your items as you have set up. Personally, as a buyer I only use 'see other items' if I have to. I dislike having pages of unorganized inventory to sift through. I realize that not everyone agrees with that, and I wish I had a more compelling reason other than our intention to reduce potential confusion and maximize store exposure and hoping to increase browse time within a store.

(tagging @silverpinups who had similar concerns)

When it comes to open issues, with the limited hours I'm allotted to help here I haven't been doing an update or status chart.  I'm happy to revisit that if you feel it will be worthwhile, and as my time permits!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Curious to know if eBay ever backtracks on decisions and changes to the layouts from sellers uproar? You know what decision makers  have been known to say....Sometimes in hindsight...Mind you it's usually under their breath. sunglasses

As for a status chart, if that could be implemented, that would be excellent. I know there are a lot of sellers out there with ongoing issue that really need to know the status.

Thanks,

CM

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
Hi Tyler,

You’re (not) going to love my problem this week.

My friends and I have a long-standing joke about when things get rough financially, we’ll start selling our used underwear online for fun and profit.

Another friend suggested eBay for this. Of course, I replied it was strictly prohibited to sell used gotch although used socks are another story.

They replied with a screenshot containing search results for 324 listings for dirty panties and when I say DIRTY I mean *dirty* panties. Like, it’s not subtle what’s being sold.

Can you explain how listings like this make it past the bots? They’re not only selling disallowed merchandise but filthy descriptions and also raunchy photos are included.

Search ‘used panties’ if you dare. I assume the listings will have to be manually pulled.

Er.

Anyway, when I tell people I sell things on eBay, I don’t want them to envision that my product line includes dirty gotch so can you ask the guys to clean it up a little?

I’m no fun and now there’s no more to be had here.

Thanks,
Mo

@momcqueen

Oh my.

I can't go into much 'this is how the bots missed this' detail, but can say that people can be creative, and that this is something we do both automatic and manual sweeps for daily (ah, the glamorous life of a Trust and Safety teammate).

As you know, it's definitely against policy to list items like that.

I did a cursory search of a few different terms and wasn't able to find a lot that is a violation on the surface, which indicates to me that active sweeps are being effective. Also, interesting conversation to have with my boss about why they will see unusual search terms on my account. Smiley Wink

While there will be items that slip through the cracks, prohibited items like these are things we take seriously, do remove and sanction member accounts for, and want to hear about if you come across any others (the 'Report this item' link is best).

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Hi @amcdc79 - for most inventory, 16 months without a sale is an unusually long amount of time, and a price adjustment, relist/sell similar or some other review of the item may be best suited to get it back in the public eye. However, there are definitely niche or long tail inventory items that could be appropriately priced and advertised but just not have found a buyer quite yet.

There's not a way to edit that reminder out of Seller Hub at this point in time, and the way that note would disappear is with a sale of the item or a relist/sell similar.

When it comes to pricing suggestions I can understand how that would be frustrating. The goal is to help you compare pricing across competition. It sounds like this may not be the most helpful for some of your items. Would you be willing to send me a private message with a few examples so I can let the right people know? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@renata6 wrote:

Hello Tyler:

Please check the math error in the following invoice:

Ebay Invoice.gif

Notice that the line items do not add to the total. Sales tax on shipping has been missed. Can this be fixed soon? I've been sending these invoices to my customers.

Thanks very much!

Hi @renata6 - There have been several reports of this, I'll get a report filed for you. If you have any other examples of this please send me a private message and I'll get them added.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Curious to know if eBay ever backtracks on decisions and changes to the layouts from sellers uproar? You know what decision makers  have been known to say....Sometimes in hindsight...Mind you it's usually under their breath. sunglasses

As for a status chart, if that could be implemented, that would be excellent. I know there are a lot of sellers out there with ongoing issue that really need to know the status.

Thanks,

CM

Oh, for a crystal ball! I don't have an answer for you there.

Good to know that you'd consider a status chart helpful. I'll work on that as a side project. Look for it in the coming weeks (2-4). Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week everyone - I've closed the chat. See you on the boards!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 16
latest reply