May 2nd 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone -

Happy May! Chat is now open to leave your questions and I'll respond to them when I get in tomorrow.

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Hi Tyler! 

This is a serious question although I'm going to reference a thread that's not mine. Apparently, I'm the last seller on ebay to discover there is some kind of problem with the act of Send Invoice wherein it allows the buyer to change their address at checkout to anywhere their little heart desires and the postage cost stays the same as it says on the Send Invoice?

I thought this type of switch would prompt an error message when that happens, an error message which prevents payment to a new address from the old one which was identified in the context of the data used to calculate the postage to that buyer based on their address at the time the invoice was sent, but countless times in any number of threads now I've been told otherwise.

So if this is a real thing, how and why is ebay allowing a loophole this large to continue to be exploited? If it's not a loophole, what's the reason sellers aren't being informed on this new system  method of facilitating checkout?

Thanks for your attention to this. Here is the thread to which I'm referencing, the problem was not mine in the making but I stand to be affected by this nearly any time an item sells because I Send Invoice almost always. Part 2 of what's really a three-part problem is the problem is identified in post seven of the 22-message thread, after the OP's original problem with the problematic buyer was allowed to checkout using one address but paying for shipping to another entirely different location. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Showing-up-on-activity-report-as-being-blocked-yet-still...

Thanks,

Mo

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Hi

Just a quick note to say I have a problem with customer service. I called over a week ago with a question about my seller invoice. The lady I was talking to could not answer my question and told me she had passed it on to a supervisor and that they would contact me in a couple of hours. Well it's been over a week and I still have had no communication, not even a message on my answering service. The person I was talking to seemed really confused and had to keep putting me on hold. I am wondering if the info got passed on to a supervisor ??  

I was very polite with her the whole time 🙂 

play-nation

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Good Morning.
I have a question regarding the new Impressions and Traffic data available in the Hub.

Another seller posted yesterday that his/her traffic data had not updated beyond April 18th.

Is this normal? I noticed my own data on .com has also stopped updating beyond April 18th. I've not received the hub update on .ca yet.

Yesterday's post
https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Selling-on-eBay/Traffic-data-update-issue-in-Ebay-ca-Seller-Hub-Recent-...
Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Also, it has recently come to my attention that the ebay Canada Community Discussion Board are quote boring unquote. You wanna maybe busta move for us or something? Thank you in advance.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

The new Seller Hub was recently launched to Ebay.ca and was offered to me April 16th 2018. As we all know, the new Seller Hub includes improved traffic data, visible in the Performance tab.

Here is my question :

Performance tab worked well at first for me, but than I noticed that my traffic data would not update (i.e. impressions, views, click-through and transactions from traffic). In my seller Hub, the latest data update is "April 18th  at  11:59pm PDT". From April 18th to the current day, the calendar is greyed out, and no new data is available.  As a result,  for each new passing day, my traffic data and graph are shrinking. If that continues on, on may 19th I will no longer have data available!

Could you tell  a  bit about traffic data update in seller hub for Ebay.ca? Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Hi Tyler

Why is Canada so far behind the US with the new store tiers. We basically have heard nothing other than it will come some time.

They can close or downgrade in the US but we are stuck with the old stuff and yet have to live with a lot of the changes from the US.

I would love to be able to close my store without penalty rather than wasting more time with one with no benefit whatsoever.

We, in Canada, have been kicked to the curb again!

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Good morning Tyler, 

Can you confirm what the current (new?) "Basic" store monthly subscription fee is, for an annual subscription? 

I saw $15.95 (Cdn) on my invoice this month when my subscription renewed.  It used to be $19.95, or does this figure simply represent the portion of the month up to the point of renewal?  

Not that I'm complaining if the cost per month has been lowered.  I'll take any break I can get right now!  

Thanks! 

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

One other item I wanted to mention, and I'll be off. 

Yesterday night, while browsing using my laptop on eBay with my alternate (buying) ID, I was looking at an item in the usual way, when suddenly something took over my screen, with a completely different content, various sized text (and some images) on a blue screen.  A large pop-up appeared with language referring to a phone number I should call to remedy the problem, or hit "escape".  When I tried to close the eBay page by using the "X" box at top right, the phantom page flashed but would not disappear, and wouldn't allow me to close out (I could still just see the edges of the eBay page below the invading screen). 

By this point I was really worried, and decided to use the CTRL-ALT-DEL to just shut the whole laptop down.  

The invasion hasn't occurred again today so far, so hopefully it was some sort of fleeting attack.  I have no idea whether this is in any way a concern for eBay, but I thought I should bring it up if you wanted to investigate.  I'm afraid in my panic I didn't read much of what was on the invading screen.  I just wanted to get out of there!   For reference, I was working on an HP laptop running Windows 10.1, and I have the full suite of McAfee protections installed (apparently they didn't pick this up, as it didn't appear when I checked my McAfee reports later).  

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Oh sorry Tyler, one last question, this is regarding the new Seller Hub on eBay.ca. 

For the benefit of a number of people who were wondering and/or speculating, could you please explain the exact meaning and interpretation of the percentages displayed under the "Sales" module? 

These figures indicate "You" (seller) and "Market", over the previous 31 days and over the past year, with percentages under each.  What is causing the confusion is that it's not really made clear in this module whether the "Market" figure is a differential analysis (i.e. telling the seller that the market is "X%" above or below the seller's own sales level for those categories and period of time), or a discrete results for the two in (one for the seller, one for the market). 

For example, if the seller's 31 day figure is shown as down 15%, and the figure under "Market" is shown as >10%, does this mean the market is more than 10% lower (i.e. worse) than the seller's performance, or that sales in that category(ies) of items are up more than 10% in the market for the same period?  If the former, then the seller would be doing much better than the market.  If the latter, about the same as the market. 

Even though I've been looking at these statistics on the eBay.com seller hub for some months now, I'm still not certain how to interpret them, although I took them to be a comparative analysis.  Your input would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

JavaScript & Plug-ins or Flash

1694 of your listings contain(s) active content such as JavaScript,

Ebay says I need to change this but I have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how to fix this but besides doing it one listing at a time, how can I fix it

Thanks

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Good Morning Tyler,

Are there any plans of having a customer service toll free line  staffed with Canadian Agents? This would be be very helpful as it seems that the vast majority of the agents are not familiar with Ebay Canada and its workings.

Is there any way to find out the status of a ticket once it has been opened? Following up with eBay you just hear, we are still working on it and sometimes we will get back to you but to date, never have.

Thanks,

-CM

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Hello,

Question regarding search & browse manipulation.

I often search for "Lots" of items, ie wwf hasbro lot.  I'm looking to purchase at minimum  2 figures in a lot and sometimes more if larger lots exist.  This is a popular search for many items where by people are looking to by multiples of a certain item.  Another example of this search is "vintage hot wheels lot" for example.

Many sellers either throw the word lot into their title when there is only 1 item for sale or they will use the phrase "lot of 1" wording.  To me this is clear search and browse manipulation however before I waste time reporting some of these listings I would like to know if ebay would see someone throwing the word "lot" randomly in their title or by saying "lot of 1" as search and browse manipulation.

Thank you for your time

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Hi Tyler, my yearly store subscription was to renew yesterday and I changed it to a monthly one due to falling sales. I wasn’t able to do this on .ca, kept sending me over to .com so I’m thinking I must has set up my store on .com. First it showed I would be paying a fee of 27.95 per month then when I looked later it said that I would be paying 32.14. Don’t know if these are in Canadian or US prices, didn’t say.

Anyway, is there any way for me to change my store to pay in Cdn. $ and if so how do I do this? Also, is there any point as I pay my fees from my PayPal acct which is in US $ since I list my items on .com

Thanks.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

There are currently more 16 000 item with the expression "lot of 1" on ebay.ca. You are right, a lot of people abusing using this word in title to increase traffic to their listing. It certainly falls within the scope of the ebay search manipulation policy so I think it would be legitimate to report it. But I doubt eBay will ever do anything about it... Very difficult and time consuming to control.
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Further to my post and a subsequent post by another member, I need to know about store fees.

According to this table, we are still on the old rates in Canada:

Subscription fees Store type Monthly subscription fee Yearly subscription fee

Basic

$24.95 per month

$19.95 per month

Premium

$74.95 per month

$59.95 per month

Anchor

$349.95 per month

$299.95 per month

If we downgrade our store and take the yearly contract will these rates apply to Canadians for the next year or can Ebay jack them up when the new rates come to Canada?

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Hi Tyler! 

This is a serious question although I'm going to reference a thread that's not mine. Apparently, I'm the last seller on ebay to discover there is some kind of problem with the act of Send Invoice wherein it allows the buyer to change their address at checkout to anywhere their little heart desires and the postage cost stays the same as it says on the Send Invoice?

I thought this type of switch would prompt an error message when that happens, an error message which prevents payment to a new address from the old one which was identified in the context of the data used to calculate the postage to that buyer based on their address at the time the invoice was sent, but countless times in any number of threads now I've been told otherwise.

So if this is a real thing, how and why is ebay allowing a loophole this large to continue to be exploited? If it's not a loophole, what's the reason sellers aren't being informed on this new system  method of facilitating checkout?

Thanks for your attention to this. Here is the thread to which I'm referencing, the problem was not mine in the making but I stand to be affected by this nearly any time an item sells because I Send Invoice almost always. Part 2 of what's really a three-part problem is the problem is identified in post seven of the 22-message thread, after the OP's original problem with the problematic buyer was allowed to checkout using one address but paying for shipping to another entirely different location. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Showing-up-on-activity-report-as-being-blocked-yet-still...

Thanks,

Mo

Hi Mo -

This is troubling to me, I'm in process of testing it and getting more answers, and will update the thread with what I find.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@play-nation wrote:

Hi

Just a quick note to say I have a problem with customer service. I called over a week ago with a question about my seller invoice. The lady I was talking to could not answer my question and told me she had passed it on to a supervisor and that they would contact me in a couple of hours. Well it's been over a week and I still have had no communication, not even a message on my answering service. The person I was talking to seemed really confused and had to keep putting me on hold. I am wondering if the info got passed on to a supervisor ??  

I was very polite with her the whole time 🙂 

play-nation

Hi @play-nation! Sorry to hear you weren't able to get the answers you needed. I want to make sure you get the info you were looking for, and also get coaching set up for the teammate you were working with. Would you mind sending me a PM with more detail about what your question was and the day/time you called so I can track answers for both down for you? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@momcqueen wrote:

Hi Tyler! 

Thanks,

Mo

Hi Mo -

This is troubling to me, I'm in process of testing it and getting more answers, and will update the thread with what I find.

Thanks!

Tyler

If you need details, send me a PM as I am the one involved in this mess.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply