The New eBay Community Boards

Hi Everyone -

We created this forum as a central place to discuss changes, suggestions, concerns, etc... about the new Community. We're excited about the upcoming changes and think you'll like them too!

Thanks

Kalvin

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Hi Everyone -

We've fixed the issue that was requiring moderation for posting images, so you should now be able to do so via the "attachment" link and it'll go right through.

Thanks!

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 61 of 78
latest reply

Testing  testing

Message 62 of 78
latest reply

One unfortunate problem with the new boards is that proper formatting (spacing) was lost on old threads being migrated to the new boards.  For example: http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Seller-Central/Free-Contest-Pick/500050991

Message 63 of 78
latest reply

Bump for Kalvin

Message 64 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre -

Thanks for the bump! I've been traveling this week and it's taken me a little longer than expected to catch up on threads.

I've reported this and it's currently being reviewed. You can definitely see the loss of formatting, so I'm hoping they'll have a way to go back and restore it.

Thanks!

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 65 of 78
latest reply

When I copy and paste from web pages, HTML code may appear. If I use the old trick to copy into Windows Notepad first to strip HTML and have text only, copy and paste from Notepad loses all lines and it becomes one large paragraph.

This seems to happen if I use Microsoft Word to copy and paste from.

Is there a trick to keep the line formatting?

Message 66 of 78
latest reply

Not working !

Not working !

Some basic html codes are not working! 

Message 67 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre & Poco -  

Thanks for posting your questions.   Both of your questions are explained with the same answer. We're looking into whether the inability to copy/paste from an extrenal source and keep line space formatting is tied to the issue that's making spacing appear strangely in the interface. Right now, it doesn't look like there's a way to draft your responses outside of the interface window and still have line breaks function correctly, but I'll let you know what we come up with.    

Likewise, the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get - for anyone reading who doesn't know that that means) interface doesn't accept most html tags, which is why (Pierre) your

Thanks!

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 68 of 78
latest reply

Thank you Kalvin.

"We also made the decision to exclude...."

I wish eBay had advised all users of all these decisions when the new boards were introduced a few weeks ago.

In the meantime, loading the new boards is still very slooooooow.

Message 69 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre -

Thanks for the call out on site slowness. We're looking into it but if you (and anyone else experiencing this) would email me any details it'll make it easier to pin down if there is an issue. Our reports are telling us that everything is functioning fine, but if you run into slowness on specific URL's, forums or activities - if you could email me at kalvin@ebay.com, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 70 of 78
latest reply

I find it very redundant that the original post is repeated. Looks like a mistake on the posters side, as a 'double post'!  Takes up thread space.

Message 71 of 78
latest reply

How do you find the canada board there use to be all kinds of rooms to go ask for help a lot has changed or I just cant find them any more  😞

Message 72 of 78
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Why on earth does eBay REALLY NEED to change too much or in fact needs to change something???

Old saying:  "If it is not broken, don't fix it."    Hey eBay, it is NOT BROKEN, leave it alone!!!!!!!  Period!!

If you want "changes", change your job, change your job location somewhere else!  Sheesh!!  I am totally not happy and it is not ging to be easy to find anything.  The old format is way much easier, please put it back!!  Honestly!  I suspect it is to discourage us in many ways.  What a shame that you felt you need to.

If you need to "make changes"  how about making changes to make the capability of high search for each seller so they can attract the potentional buyers that way we can sell our items and you get final values fees than NOT???!!!

Secondly, you need to make changes and focus on the buyers not on sellers all the time.  Focus on buyers, like unpaid item bidders, scammers, etc.  You have focus on sellers way too much for so long which is become insane and annoying.  Time to focus on buyers.  We have way too many unpaid item bidders plus way too many of them coming up with new id usernames after we blocked them, etc.  Thanks.

Message 73 of 78
latest reply

The current change (not the one from 2011 that is the topic of this thread) is necessary because the Community will no longer be hosted by LiveWorld; the platform will now be with a company called Lithium which of course has its own format design. In other words, it IS "broken," and it can't be changed back.

If you want to discuss the ins and outs and ups and downs of this latest change there's a special "New Community Experience" section way down in the News section.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/New-Community-Experience/bd-p/24000000086

Message 74 of 78
latest reply

owlgebra
Community Member

This new format is mostly better.  Before, the list of topics would barely even start on the page, and we had to scroll down to actually see them -- it was really stupid.  Now the list starts higher.  I'd like the list even higher again.  I would also like the list of boards to start higher too, because at present, that list starts halfway down the screen.  Generally, the content seems to fit the screen better.  The ability to edit is nice, though I would prefer a very long term ability to edit.  (Sometimes I like to edit a link that changed much later or something like that.)  I like that I was able to get rid of the Kudo button (the word itself I find very annoying, what is that, Latin?) as I just don't care.  What I would like is get rid of the repeated first post on the top of each page.  Also, I can't find a page where all newly responded-to threads are listed together regardless of subforum; I'd like that back.  Another wish is to be able to set the background colour as I wish, as my least favourite background colour is white -- too bright for me, and my monitor brightness is way down -- it's just my own eyeball preference to not look at whitespace.  And, the spellcheck doesn't know "subforum", whitespace, and -our spellings.

Message 75 of 78
latest reply

I for one will be using these boards very little. I have a hunch Ebay wants less people to use the boards. You have to open the thread to even read the original post, no more move mouse over.. Font is too small and color is useless, Ebay really does not want color in listings. yet they put it in the boards.

In a nutshell, it is awful and whoever designed it should be fired

Message 76 of 78
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I for one will be using these boards very little. I have a hunch Ebay wants less people to use the boards. You have to open the thread to even read the original post, no more move mouse over.. Font is too small and color is useless, Ebay really does not want color in listings. yet they put it in the boards.

In a nutshell, it is awful and whoever designed it should be fired

This is the Phase 1 rollout of the new format.  Most posters want the mouseover preview; Lithium (the new board host) has that feature on their own site and I'm sure we'll see it on eBay's boards in the next update. The "My settings" section has an option to choose larger fonts; I can't really read the boards without setting it to Large, either.

"Whoever designed it" is now us; let eBay know what you want changed, rather than assuming that the current format is engraved in stone. You're seeing a rough draft; now is the time to make your preferences known.

Also: This thread was started in 2011 and refers to an earlier update. The official board about the new format is down in the News section:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/New-Community-Experience/bd-p/24000000086

Message 77 of 78
latest reply

Locking this topic to avoid confusion as it's about a software change from 2011. Please refer to the link that nobody*s_perfect shared.

Message 78 of 78
latest reply