Can buyer requests the full refund including the shipping fee plus his returning shipping cost

nsbz06
Community Member

The seller requests the returns for one of my selling pullover and claimed it didn't match with the description as the picturs looks grey while the item comes in black. Our descriptions indicated it is black and the pictures might look a little grey.

We agreed for a full refund after the buyer returned the item but he requests us to pay him first his returning shipping cost. Does it sound right? If yes, it means we have to absorb 2 shipping cost on our own plus the full refund of the item.

The buyer open the case. If we choose the option "request buyer to return the item for a full refund", can we send the refund only after receipt of the item back? Will ebay/paypal not release the money until we confirm reciept?

Thanks so much for your help as we are very confused.

Sincerely

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Can buyer requests the full refund including the shipping fee plus his returning shipping cost

You're not required to refund return shipping, but keep in mind that the buyer could leave you negative feedback and low DSR's if you don't.

If you DO pay return shipping, make sure to specify the type of service you're willing to pay for so the buyer doesn't send it by overnight courier, for instance.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Dude is correst. You have options.

- Argue. Seller Central on dot com is full of sellers who argued and lost. Always a fun read.

- Stick to protocol.

- Give them what they want and make them go away.

- Refund without returning and forget about it.

I always select the last option. That is the easiest for the buyer. Leaves a good taste in their mouth.

Black, gray, charcoal, etc are very difficult colours to deal with. Even you admitted as much. Re-work yer pictures to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Doesn't matter what the description says, buyers don't read. Buyers want what is in the picture, period.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I think you have to ask yourself whether the item is even worth shipping back, whether at your cost or the buyer's.  In my view anything under $50 is probably not worth the shipping cost or the time spent dealing with the situation.  Personally, in that case, I'd eat the cost of the item, chalk it up to education, and call it a loss. 

You should also consider, as others have said, the effect on your FB and DSRs from a very satisfied customer (i.e. one who gets to keep the shirt and doesn't have to bother going to the post office to return it, then wait up to 2 weeks for his refund), or just a slightly satisfied, possibly slightly grumpy customer who has had to "deal" with you over an item he/she didn't really like. 

In this respect, the item value also comes into the equation of course: if it's an irreplaceable article worth $300, then I would opt to cover (i.e. refund) the return shipping (make sure you agree on the shipping service with the buyer in advance), thank the buyer for his trouble in getting it to the Post Office and apologize for his dissatisfaction, and assure him you will refund promptly upon receipt of the item.  For an article of that kind of value, I'd arrange tracked shipping.

Lastly, if you don't normally have many returns, and the value of the item is fairly low (especially if it's not one-of-a-kind), IMO your best option is to go for the really happy customer -- absorb the loss of the item, and revise your listing to make sure the photos accurately display the colour. 

In the end, it's really about how much your FB and DSRs (and happy customers) are worth to you.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply