Transaction is pending, the seller refuses to give shipping status

Hi,
On Nov 27 I've bought a product from a seller with100% feedback, I paid through Paypal with my visa, the transaction is still shown as pending on Paypal and eBay without estimated delivery dates. I buy quite often on eBay and never had any problems with Paypal payments.

I've contacted the seller multiple times asking what was going on, the seller keeps saying that everything is OK, but doesn't give any details about the shipping status and the tracking. I've noticed that the seller got 2 negative feedbacks recently, about the same problem, one buyer indicated that the seller had multiple accounts.

Ebay policy says that I should until the delivery estimate has passed to open the Item not received case, but I don't even have clear delivery dates.  What should I do?
Thanks in advance for an advice.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If your payment is still pending with PayPal maybe the seller is waiting for the payment to clear... I don't think you will get an estimate delivery date from eBay if the payment is still pending (correct me if I'm wrong).

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@graphbox wrote:

Hi,
On Nov 27 I've bought a product from a seller with100% feedback, I paid through Paypal with my visa, the transaction is still shown as pending on Paypal and eBay without estimated delivery dates.

Call your card company's customer service number.  It is a 1-800 number so a free call.  It will be a bunch of recorded clicking (press 1 for this, press 2 for that), but one of the options should be "To hear recent transactions to your account".  The payment would have been processed on Nov 27 or LATER (sometimes it takes a few days) but this is the only way to be 100% sure if the payment has come off your card or not.  If it has NOT, wait to hear from a real human and ask if there is a problem.  If it has come off, call PayPal and ask them what the problem might be.   

The seller may also be wondering what gives and it is not their fault if your payment did not go through.  They might be wondering if you are trying to pull a fast one if you are urging them to ship it if they haven't been paid, so get the payment thing cleared up first.  If the problem is not on your end, it might be with the seller's PayPal account, but PP should be able to tell you either way. 

Multiple accounts for a seller doesn't mean anything.  Almost everyone has multiples.  In many households they sell a variety of items that don't really "go" together, like hand-knit baby clothes and Blu-rays.  Separate IDs makes sense, especially if they sell children's books on one and "adult" magazines on the other. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

Call your card company's customer service number.  It is a 1-800 number so a free call.  It will be a bunch of recorded clicking (press 1 for this, press 2 for that), but one of the options should be "To hear recent transactions to your account".  The payment would have been processed on Nov 27 or LATER (sometimes it takes a few days) but this is the only way to be 100% sure if the payment has come off your card or not. 

This information may also be available through online banking. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you very much marnotom!, i.am.vivian, and silverpinups.

I checked my visa, the payment came off my card on  Nov 27.

I'm worried because it seems like the seller doesn't have a good explanation why  the transaction is still pending and I can't get a clear answer whether the product was shipped out or not. All I get is 'everything is fine, you will get your item very soon'. The seller has several negative feedbacks now about not getting products and another one about not shipping within 11 days.

I've just received  'eBay Communication Partner Warning'  stating that  the same seller might be sending fraudulent emails. Unfortunately  my suspicions were correct.

Thank again for your help.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Open the Item Not Received dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Repeat the warning about the fraudulent emails in the Dispute.

You have already tried to contact the seller so just skip that suggestion and escalate to a Claim. (Ask eBAy to Step In).

If it's a lot of money, you might go to Paypal (Resolution Centre at the top of your PP account page under Tools) and open your dispute there.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If the payment is still showing as pending, you may not be able to open a claim.  I would phone PayPal and ask why it is pending as that isn't normal with a cc payment.

edit...sorry didn't realize that the op was written a few days ago.  Hopefully they have found a solution by now.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Is this a new seller?

New, occasional and questionable sellers have a 21 day HOLD put on cleared customer payments until Paypal is satisfied that the customer is happy with the purchase.

The HOLD is lifted quickly for US sellers, but non-US must wait the full 21 days to see their money.

Does the seller have 10 Detailed Seller Ratings yet? That would be a signal that he falls under the 'new or occasional' seller restriction.

His new negatives and the poor communication might indicate 'questionable ' status. He may have Defects and outstanding Disputes that have made PP nervous about his willingness to complete new transactions.

I'd be finding the PP Resolution Centre and opening an Item Not Received Dispute since it has been nearly four weeks.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If the payment is pending due to a new seller hold, the buyer would not see that payment has being pending.  I have the impression that the buyer is seeing the payment as pending..perhaps in eBay.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

my thoughts would be as above. maybe a new seller, who has to wait 21 days for funds. and as a seller they think they can wait to ship the item, until they get the funds.. it sounds like a newbie who doesn't know the in and outs of selling yet.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

It's possible but a buyer does not see that a transaction is pending in that situation.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply