Canada Post Delivery Standards During Christmas Season

It seems to me that I read Canada Post would be suspending their delivery standards during the holiday season; however, I can't find that announcement anywhere.

It's been years since I claimed my postage back for an expedited parcel in Canada, but I just had a tracked parcel to the U.S. arrive six  days late.  It was mailed well before Christmas and should have arrived before Christmas, according to the delivery standard.  But I'm not sure I can claim my postage if the delay was in the U.S.  It was a considerable amount -- $24.00.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Personally I work on the principle that if you don't ask, they can't say yes.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

It seems to me that I read Canada Post would be suspending their delivery standards during the holiday season; however, I can't find that announcement anywhere.

It's been years since I claimed my postage back for an expedited parcel in Canada, but I just had a tracked parcel to the U.S. arrive six  days late.  It was mailed well before Christmas and should have arrived before Christmas, according to the delivery standard.  But I'm not sure I can claim my postage if the delay was in the U.S.  It was a considerable amount -- $24.00.

Anyone have any experience with this?

From what I recall they were extending the domestic standard by 2 days rather than suspending it.

The only International service with an on time guarantee is Xpresspost (also Priority).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Personally I work on the principle that if you don't ask, they can't say yes.

Good point. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

The only International service with an on time guarantee is Xpresspost (also Priority).

Thanks.  I guess that makes sense ..... how can they control USPS delivery?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@recped wrote:

Thanks.  I guess that makes sense ..... how can they control USPS delivery?

It's not a matter of control but rather a function of service levels of the recipient postal service. USPS only offers an on-time service guarantee on Priority Express mailings. Only CP's Xpresspost service is handled as USPS Express. CP's Expedited, Small or Tracked Packets are handled as either regular Priority or First Class when they reach USPS.

It's all covered by UPU reciprocal agreements.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

from November 21, 2016 to January 6, 2017, Canada Post will only honour service guarantee claims for late delivery if an Expedited Parcel item is delivered two or more business days after the delivery standard, instead of one. ... The service guarantee for Priority and Xpresspost services will not change during peak season.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/09/28/upcoming_change...

Expedited only has delivery guarantees in Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/parcelsbus/default.page

News releases / Service Alerts / Important Updates - a starting point:

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?

-..-

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks dennis.  I wanted to add that I had tons of deliveries this month, almost every day, and not one parcel was delivered late by Canada Post, even through a major snow storm.  The only delays I experienced were with Purolator and UPS.  All my expedited shipments within Canada were delivered on time as well.  Lettermail .... not so much.  Increasingly, it's taking longer and longer for lettermail from Winnipeg to Ontario and Quebec.  It used to take about 5 business days but the last year or so, it's been taking at least 8 and often 10.

My American buyer didn't send me any impatient messages, thank goodness, but she probably wanted it for a Christmas present and it didn't arrive until today.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

With any luck she's Ukranian?

One of my many nieces spent Dec. 25 Christmas with her family in Mississauga and Jan. 6 Little Christmas in Ottawa with her husband's Ukranian-born family. Fortunately they never had children.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

With any luck she's Ukranian?

One of my many nieces spent Dec. 25 Christmas with her family in Mississauga and Jan. 6 Little Christmas in Ottawa with her husband's Ukranian-born family. Fortunately they never had children.

Her surname would indicate otherwise but, of course, that wouldn't rule out a Ukrainian connection.  I just checked to see her feedback for other sellers and just noticed that this was her very first purchase.  I feel bad in that this wasn't a positive experience for her in terms of delivery time but, at the same time, she may think this was an appropriate length of time to wait.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I mailed a book Dec 12 to somewhere in US and my buyer left me a positive feedback plus messaged me thanking my fast delivery and said I was an angel for selling her the books (this is her second purchase) today, so it probably meant the book took 15 days to get there. Very lovely message. Most buyers are thankfully very patient. 

Really, the only inpatient buyer I had th past 10 months was the dude from Germany that I ranted about a couple weeks ago. Everybody else were quite patient... even had a couple books that took over a month to get to Australia and the buyers still left me 5 stars positive. 

Personally I have two shipments from Japan that I paid for SAL in October and November but they still haven't arrived. I hadn't bothered to bug the online store about it since I didn't pay for tracking so there is nothing they can do anyway. So I can only keep waiting and hope they eventually arrive...

Message 11 of 11
latest reply